What do you say?

• Only gimps play Kung Lao Brah!

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • Where's my 24 Low Hat?

Votes: 85 76.6%

• Total voters

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
UsedForGlue great guide and really appreciated, but just a tad condescending and you give such little credit to the KL community :( also dont forget the best kung lao ETC Mcfly and notable player @FOREVERKING

Personally i was only around for maybe 1 or 2 months before the big patch so i feel like though i didnt conciously know these infos, that my habbits do not stray too far from this guide as i learned the changes early... to be honest i dont really remember post patch lao other than his 24hat i wish he still had :(

thanks again

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
UsedForGlue great guide and really appreciated, but just a tad condescending and you give such little credit to the KL community :( also dont forget the best kung lao ETC Mcfly and notable player @FOREVERKING

Personally i was only around for maybe 1 or 2 months before the big patch so i feel like though i didnt conciously know these infos, that my habbits do not stray too far from this guide as i learned the changes early... to be honest i dont really remember post patch lao other than his 24hat i wish he still had :(

thanks again
Hey man, its not that i don't think other Kung Lao players are good, thats not the case, these are the only two MK players that I know, that I can trust their knowledge of the game. I know what these two players understand of KL, I can't say that for others, unfortunately, but that is in no way their fault.

Foreverking is a great Kung Lao player, but has said himself that he doesn't think Kung Lao is that good anymore, and for that, I can take the conclusion that he doesn't understand why the character isn't working sometimes in its rushdown, and that would show a lack of understanding, all he knows is, he rocks people with him really hard and gets his wins, but sometimes, it doesn't. I could be wrong though, and perfectly willing to admit it if it wasn't true.

ETC McFly is has clearly got his shit together with combos and is an excellent Kung Lao player, but again, I can't be 100% sure if he knows exactly why Kung Lao's rushdown is and is not working for him.

I hope you can respect those reasons.

UsedForGlue

Updated the guide with 4 videos.

Dive Kicks, Overhead into Roll, Ghetto Knockdown, Stance checking.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
These can be from JIP's or Teleport high :fk's

:fp:fp:bp Spin, JK, Dive Kick, :fp, :bp:bk Throw - Choice of finish
:fp:fp:bp Spin, JK, Dive Kick, :bp :ex Hat, :fp, :fp, :bp:bk Throw - Choice of finish

You can start all his combos with :bp:fp instead.

:x - Combos

:fp:fp:bp Spin, JK, Dive Kick, :r:fk :x, :bp:bk Throw - Choice of end

:fp:fp:bp :x :fp, :fp, :fp, :fp, :bp:bk Throw - Choice of end

:x :fp, :fp, :fp, :fp, :fp, :bp:bk Throw - Choice of end

These are the basic B&B combos.
I saw Detroitballin do a nice one.

112, spin, neutral jump punch, jump punch, teleport, 3 or something to end it. Then as they go flying he did a dive kick to close the distance.

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
some useful info to add perhaps both his throws leave him at the perfect distance for a low eh dive kick which leaves him at plus 10 if blocked. if you follow it up with a 21212 you get like 85% of that bar back. You can also get the sweet spot F3 like u described in your one video. Also, if you combo then into the corner if you know the spacing you can end it with 24 eh low hat and they are at your mercy.

Any character in the game that has a 6-7 frame move/normal, would be happy to get this move, especially as its 0 on block.

Sonya blade has the exact same scenario with her cartwheel on block, the wrong read and your dive kicked, yet for KL, its somehow trash...
The reason I fear a -3 block cartwheel is because of the safe armor cartwheel after that. I dont know about others though. But the reason I dont really use it anymore is because it sucks if it whiffs at point blank, because you get full combo punished. When youre playing footsies and the other guy walks back its gonna whiff.

Just some things I do differently:

After the 24 overhead I whiff a dive kick to get in, instead of roll, a dive kick builds meter and it looks faster than the roll. I got blown up on rolling at people when they wakeup attack so whiffing the dive kick really is the best option for me.

The 24 string I have been using that a lot, I posted that a while ago but nobody seemed to appreciate it for some reason.

I use 24 overhead, 24 on block can be a guessing game to spin people if they try to pressure you with strings isntead of a poke. 24, d3, 24 into 2121.

Also after the blocked teleport 3, they have to either respect the spin or poke kung lao. What I try to do is make them respect the spin and go for crossovers after teleport 3. they can blow up crossovers with d1 but here is where jumpkick into ex dive kick comes into play, which leads into a 33% combo. I dont see anybody using this and I really dont know why, is it not good for some reason? if so I must have been getting away with murder.

Also d4 into low hats is something I stopped using after the patch but then again, its still hard to punish for people when you do it at the tip of your d4. so I started using it again. What are your thoughts on this move.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Anyone who doesnt think KL is good either doesnt use all the options of a standing 1, doesnt use tele~3's in the right situations, or just straight up doesnt understand that you dont have to use specials on block, Low hat and spin were not designed to be unblockable, so stop pretending.

Im not scared of spins if ive blocked 20 of them already, im scared of spins when we're both half a life bar down and i havent seen a spin yet after any blockstrings.

Great guide UFG i hope you turned the right heads, maybe people will stop with the 24lowhat whining and explain to me how giving unsafe moves more recovery (lol) made him a worse character, even though took unsafe overhead and made it safe.

Somberness

Lights
Some notes on Kung Lao's teleport:
- Teleport,3 is always 0 on block if you don't cancel into either 1,2,3 or 4. You can only cancel into those on the way down. It is +9 when cancelled into on block and ~+15 on hit.
- Your opponent turning around after you cancel a string into a teleport depends on when they recover. Teleport done on the ground has 17 frames where it is in front of your opponent so if the cancel advantage (on hit or block) is less than that, then your opponent will not turn around because they recover before you switch sides. This is actually advantageous in one situation. If your opponent tries to punish it, they will take 5 frames to turn around. At least, I think that is the case, I haven't tested this situation but it should be how it works. If your opponent recovers when you are on the other side, then it does not apply.
- Teleport always has 14 frames before you can attack once you switch sides. Adding 4 (FK startup) to that is 18, that is the free punish window, not including the 5 frames it takes to turn around, if applicable.

And yeah, I used my own frame data thread for all this information. :)

The teleport vid is not in your post, by the way.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Good stuff. I came to very similar conclusions looking at his frame data, mainly about 24 and roll and only using 2 starters after 1, 11, 112 or 1121. I really like the way brady played Lao as he seemed to make godlike reads on when people would poke him and either spun or xray'd them. Get Bradied brah?

UsedForGlue

some useful info to add perhaps both his throws leave him at the perfect distance for a low eh dive kick which leaves him at plus 10 if blocked. if you follow it up with a 21212 you get like 85% of that bar back. You can also get the sweet spot F3 like u described in your one video. Also, if you combo then into the corner if you know the spacing you can end it with 24 eh low hat and they are at your mercy.
Hey man, yea I am putting up a video about :ex dive kick, and :ex grind hat today. They seem gmmicky, but when you land them, they are dangerous.

UsedForGlue

Also d4 into low hats is something I stopped using after the patch but then again, its still hard to punish for people when you do it at the tip of your d4. so I started using it again. What are your thoughts on this move.
The thing about D4 low hat is:

You can't hit confirm D4 into Low hat, so if the opponent blocks the D4 and Low hat, your full punished, but if you didn't do the Low hat, you still would have been safe at 0 frames on a blocked D4.

If you land a D4 on hit, you get 12 Frames of advantage, but if they low hat is blocked, you are now going to be fully punished.

The bottom line is, you cannot hit confirm the low hat from D4, you will lose your possible advantage from a d4 on hit, id much rather have that.

UsedForGlue

Some notes on Kung Lao's teleport:
- Teleport,3 is always 0 on block if you don't cancel into either 1,2,3 or 4. You can only cancel into those on the way down. It is +9 when cancelled into on block and ~+15 on hit.
- Your opponent turning around after you cancel a string into a teleport depends on when they recover. Teleport done on the ground has 17 frames where it is in front of your opponent so if the cancel advantage (on hit or block) is less than that, then your opponent will not turn around because they recover before you switch sides. This is actually advantageous in one situation. If your opponent tries to punish it, they will take 5 frames to turn around. At least, I think that is the case, I haven't tested this situation but it should be how it works. If your opponent recovers when you are on the other side, then it does not apply.
- Teleport always has 14 frames before you can attack once you switch sides. Adding 4 (FK startup) to that is 18, that is the free punish window, not including the 5 frames it takes to turn around, if applicable.

And yeah, I used my own frame data thread for all this information. :)

The teleport vid is not in your post, by the way.
Golden, il simplify this in the video.

gdf

Noob
Appreciate this info man. Makes a whole lot of sense when you explain with videos.

Whenever possible, could you give me your thoughts on the 2,1,2,1,2 string?

I've used it in tourneys, but from what your guide is saying, it seems it is punishable in every way excluding tele+4. And even that, I think may have problems.

UsedForGlue

Appreciate this info man. Makes a whole lot of sense when you explain with videos.

Whenever possible, could you give me your thoughts on the 2,1,2,1,2 string?

I've used it in tourneys, but from what your guide is saying, it seems it is punishable in every way excluding tele+4. And even that, I think may have problems.
21212 is safe on block with pushback at -13, but is Character Specific Special Punishable.

It builds a ton of meter, does 7% chip and is special cancellable on the 5th hit into spin, so you can combo.

You can bag a 21212 anytime you land a D4.

But if you finish with the overhead, you will be fully punished.

You can teleport from the string, but you can be punished for the teleport, you may want to try using :ex teleport since its slightly less punishable, and you gain allot of meter from the string being blocked.

Reactions: gdf

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
21212 is safe on block with pushback at -13, but is Character Specific Special Punishable.

It builds a ton of meter, does 7% chip and is special cancellable on the 5th hit into spin, so you can combo.

You can bag a 21212 anytime you land a D4.

But if you finish with the overhead, you will be fully punished.

You can teleport from the string, but you can be punished for the teleport, you may want to try using :ex teleport since its slightly less punishable, and you gain allot of meter from the string being blocked.
So its NOT a smart move to do the overhead/low hat mixup at the end of 212121?