What's new

Guide - Kung Jin Kung Jin Living Guide Thread

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
What are you guys using his Bojutsu Flame Ball for? It seems too slow and high to be an anti-air. Currently, it only serves as a signal flare that I dropped a combo.
It's an okay anti air, but you have to expect the jump in. I think his U1 is better.

You can use the meter burn in the corner to get a pretty good combo after your launcher.

I was also thinking you could use it on wake up when you're in the corner and they try to crossover or NJ. - will try to confirm if this works.

Malec

Noob
most damaging Ancestral corner combo I have found so far: (stun arrow loaded) any string into dd2, load firer arrow, njp, 4~db2, divekick, 343~b,f3
you can also do this with vampiric arrows instead of fire and do ex versions of the shots for the meter drain, also be able to end the combo in 34~straight arrow if you want to meter drain with vampiric

ahorror

Noob
Any tips on landing the nj2 after 1,1,1, bow swat (mid screen)? It's easy to land if I only do 1,1,bow swing. The only nj2 that is easy to land after a bow swat for me is when I press 2,2,1 first. All the other 3 hit combos before the swat seem to push my opponent out too far.

Edit***

I think I figured out my problem. I'm not inputting bow swat fast enough.

Last edited:

GhosT

Noob
Any tips on landing the nj2 after 1,1,1, bow swat (mid screen)? It's easy to land if I only do 1,1,bow swing. The only nj2 that is easy to land after a bow swat for me is when I press 2,2,1 first. All the other 3 hit combos before the swat seem to push my opponent out too far.
I think if you just instantly into 2 it hits. But you can also jump forward 2 into divekick for siMilan damage.

Also 11 bowing or boswat is blockable.

I think I have found a possible new BnB for Bojutsu. Previously, I did: Standing starter xx BF4, run, 3 xx BF4, JI4 xx D4, run, 34 xx DB3 for 37% with F24 as starter. The combo works fine online if you drop the JI4, but you drop 1%. I found an even better combo, which is easier and still does the same damage.

Try this:
Standing starter xx BF4, run, 34, JI3 xx D4, run, 34 xx DB3. It is really consistent for me at least. The only situation you may find it hard is when you use a normal/string which pushes them away on hit, like 111.
you sure you posted this right? XD
34 into jp3?
theres no way ill attempt that online unless im missing something

Last edited:

Varion

Noob
Combos
For Kung Jin's combos, he has a few ideal starter strings. Any of the enders shown in each Variation specific Spoiler that say "(starter)" can be combo'd from any of the below combo starters...These are not the only combo starters there are, just the most ideological:

111 - Mid hitting, 10% damage, 2.75% block damage.
Frame Data - start up: 8, active: 3, recover: 32, block adv: -6, hit adv: 0, cancel: 24

b214 - Mid to low, 10% damage, 2.25% block damage
Frame Data - start up: 15, active: 2, recover: 25, block adv: -8, hit adv: 12, cancel: 24

b14 - Low to mid, 6% damage, 1.50% block damage
Frame Data - start up: 12, active: 2, recover 30, block adv: -3, hit adv: 7, cancel: 20
:: Be careful to hit the 4, b1 cancel frames are so long that they can just block ::

f24 - Overhead to mid, 6% damage, 1.50% block damage

Frame Data - start up: 18, active: 2, recover: 24, block adv: 0, hit adv: 13, cancel: 27

221 - Best punishing string, 11% damage, 3% block damage
Frame Data - start up: 6, active: 4, recover: 30, block adv: -1, hit adv: -3, cancel: 25

UNIVERSAL
Coming Soon...

ANCESTRAL

Midscreen
(freeze arrow loaded) Divekick, run~343~low arrow, run~nj 1, ji1, 221~flying kick = 34% - Chris G
(freeze arrow loaded)(starter)~low arrow, forward dash, nj1, ji2, divekick, run~2,2,1~flying kick = 29-31% (30-32% with ji2) - Chris G
(freeze arrow loaded) 343~low arrow, run~nj2, ji4~divekick, 343~bo swing = 38%
X-RAY
(freeze arrow loaded)(starter)~low arrow, run, ji2, 343~xray = 52% - Chris G

Corner
MB
*freeze arrow loaded*(starter)~straight arrow, load vamp arrow, nj2, ji4~mb down arrow, ia divekick, 3,4 xx mb straight arrow = 30% (drain 1 3/4th of meter) - Chris G
*freeze arrow loaded*(starter)~straight/low arrow, load vamp arrow, nj2, air arrow, ia divekick, 34~straight arrow = 23-27% (drain 3/4 of meter) meterburn arrows for 29-32% and drain 1 3/4th meter)
*freeze arrow loaded* (starter)~straight/low arrow, load fire arrow, nj2, air arrow, ia divekick, 34~straight arrow = 31-34% meterburn arrows for 33-36%

BOJUTSU
Midscreen
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj2, ji~divekick, b21~Bo Swing = 32-35% (33-36% with ji2)
MB
(starter)~MB Bo Swing, nj2, ji~divekick, b21~Bo Swing = 37-40% (38-41%)

Corner
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj2, ji~divekick, 4~Bo Swing = 34-37% (36-38% with ji2)
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj divekick, 343~bo swing = 35-38% (37-39% with ji2)
(starter)~Bo Swat, nj2, bo swat, ji4~divekick, 4~bo swing = 35-38%(37-39% with ji2)
(starter)~bo swat, 4~bo swat, nj2, ji4~divekick, 3~bo swing = 38-41% (39-42% with ji2)
(starter)~bo swat, run~3~boswat, nj divekick, b21~boswing = 35-38% (37-40% with ji2)
MB
(starter)~mb bo swat, nj2, bo swat, nj~divekick, 4~bo swing = 38-41%(40-42% with ji2)
(starter)~mb bo swing, nj2, bo swat, nj~divekick, 4~bo swing = 39-42%(40-43% with ji2)
(starter)~mb bo swing, 4~bo swat, nj2, ji4~D4, 34~bo swing = 43-45%(43-46% with ji2)
2MB
(starter)~mb bo swing, 4~mb fire ball, ia divekick, nj2, 34~bo swing = 51% - Chris G

ADDITIONAL COMBOS:
f2d1 (overhead to low)

f2d1~bo swat, ji~divekick, b21~bo swing = 26% (28% with ji2)
f2d1~bo swat, run~b21~bo swing = 24% (26% with ji2)
221 (best punishing)
MB
221~mb bo swing, run~3~boswat, nj~divekick, b21~boswing = 44% (45% with ji2)
221~mb bo swing, 4~bo swat, njp, nj divekick, 4~boswing = 46% (47% with ji2)
Armored starter:
mb bo swing, run~3~boswat, ji4~divekick, b2~bo swing = 39%
Neutral Jump starter:
Nj2, 3~boswat, nj divekick, b21~boswing = 32%

SHAOLIN
Midscreen
MB
ji2, 221~mb Chakram Throw, nj1, run~ji4~divekick, run~34~up flying kick~d4 = 35% - Chris G

Corner
MB

221~mb Chakram Throw, nj2, up arrow, ia divekick, 34~up flying kick~d4 = 34%
(starter)~bo swat, 4~bo swat, nj2, ji4~divekick, 3~bo swing = 38-41% (39-42% with ji2)

HOW DO YOU DO SWAT 4 swat?? I never catch him after the 4.....

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Yeah I'm aware of the nj2 into dive kick that's not really what I was asking about. It was about the jump in. Which you did answer and helped me figure out what was wrong, thanks.

I've done this a few times and never unlocked it nor did the brutality. I've tried using 3 interactibles in the first round, ending with a throw, then using 3 in the next and ending with a throw. Didn't get it. Tried using only 3 in the 2nd round and ending with a throw, nothing. Not sure what the exact criteria is I guess.
Yeah I'm aware of the nj2 into dive kick that's not really what I was asking about. It was about the jump in. Which you did answer and helped me figure out what was wrong, thanks.

I've done this a few times and never unlocked it nor did the brutality. I've tried using 3 interactibles in the first round, ending with a throw, then using 3 in the next and ending with a throw. Didn't get it. Tried using only 3 in the 2nd round and ending with a throw, nothing. Not sure what the exact criteria is I guess.

I just double checked it. The criteria is literally: Any variation, must use at least 3 interactibles in a match, last hit to kill opponent must be a throw. If that's not working, you're doing something wrong

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
44% Mid Screen, one bar, super easy to pull off.

221~MB Bo Swing, b2~Bo Swat, runxx34~Bo Swing

It does 39% with no starter such as on wake up.

kevkopdx

Noob
is there anything bojitsu can do against full auto jacqui? lol, im at a complete loss to dealing with her spamming guns, you can duck and inch forward, but she can enhance with missiles for overhead, it seems.... bad

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
is there anything bojitsu can do against full auto jacqui? lol, im at a complete loss to dealing with her spamming guns, you can duck and inch forward, but she can enhance with missiles for overhead, it seems.... bad
When she has meter, don't be afraid to block the last few shots...if she doesn't do it, cool. If she does, you're ready. I played a few good Jacquis and I think it's about even at this game's life. If they try to footsie you, they get fucked.

kevkopdx

Noob
When she has meter, don't be afraid to block the last few shots...if she doesn't do it, cool. If she does, you're ready. I played a few good Jacquis and I think it's about even at this game's life. If they try to footsie you, they get fucked.
still getting in on her seems crazy - you cant MBbf3 through them, you cant jump over, and correct me if im wrong but there is no space to forward dash between them... I just play some scrub that literally only did those guns, it was beyond annoying hahahah

FinalBoss_FGC

still getting in on her seems crazy - you cant MBbf3 through them, you cant jump over, and correct me if im wrong but there is no space to forward dash between them... I just play some scrub that literally only did those guns, it was beyond annoying hahahah
You don't have to jump in but KJ's ji2 reach is pretty good so they can think they are at good range to shoot machine guns and you can ji2 into full combo. Her recovery for any of her shots is short so you have to be careful for sure.

kevkopdx

Noob
You don't have to jump in but KJ's ji2 reach is pretty good so they can think they are at good range to shoot machine guns and you can ji2 into full combo. Her recovery for any of her shots is short so you have to be careful for sure.
lol ya its fast recovery and though annoying i dont mind playing the patience game, i do it against spammy kitanas and deathstroke but the only option i see against her is to step forward between shots, its laborious.. i guess its off to lab or counterpicking :/

FinalBoss_FGC

lol ya its fast recovery and though annoying i dont mind playing the patience game, i do it against spammy kitanas and deathstroke but the only option i see against her is to step forward between shots, its laborious.. i guess its off to lab or counterpicking :/
If counterpicking will help you, then go for it but I'm telling you right now Kung Jin doesn't lose to her. lol

Just brainstorming here because I haven't had to deal with this yet, but can you get an arrow shot in between her bursts? Force her to block or take the hit and run in?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
For those having trouble with Full Auto Jacqui...I wrote this up for myself after playing this matchup a ton and figuring her out in the lab. I guess this could be added to the guide for MU sake. Enjoy the novel:

Full Auto Jacqui MU:

Her zoning:

Jacqui will back up and abuse her machine gun. It’s 4 shots and does 7% and it’s a high so you can duck it. You can’t punish it and it cannot be easily jumped over. You’re forced to dash in between shots but be careful because the window between shots is tight, forcing you to dash as soon as the last bullet passes. She can meterburn the shots and fire a rocket which sends you back again. It’s likely she use this tactic when you start getting closer to her. When you get close to Jacqui as she spams machine gun, she’ll start to fire off the up rocket to prevent jump ins. If you jump in and get hit, expect to be full combo punished and pushed to the back of the screen. The up rocket will also stuff your run/dash when you are close to her.

It should also be noted that anytime Jacqui knocks you down, expect her to fire off the machine gun as you get up. It knocks Jin out of his wakeup options and is completely safe for her.

Her Footsies:

Her main strings are F1,2 which hits mid, B2 which hits overhead, and B33, which hits low. All 3 are safe on block. F1,2 and B2 can hit from around jump in distance. The range on those normal is actually close to on par with Jin’s. They are not to be underestimated.

Block Strings: If you block a string from Jacqui it may be followed up with an up rocket. This puts Jacqui at +11. This is fantastic frame trap as long as you’re blocking high. You must block low to escape the up rocket. If you started by blocking high you cannot block the first rocket, you have to wait till the next cycle. When you get the up rocket to whiff, she’s full combo punishable. Once she’s realized you’ve figured that out she’ll mix it up with throws, back dashes etc.

Meat and potatoes Strategy:

Patience is the key. The first thing you have to do is get in. Once you back her into a corner she’ll wait for you to get close to try and use B2, or F1,2. If you anticipate this, depending on range, you can B1, F2, NJP (watch out for up rocket), or armor through her attacks. Once knocked down she’s limited on options. Her wake ups are unsafe so she won’t be totally willing the throw them out. Keep up the pressure, and keep her on her ass.

After extended playing you might see Jacqui players zoning and then running up to you while you’re crouched to use her footsies against you. She might also try to run up to bait you and cancel into low rocket which mixed with machine guns knocks you full screen again. If she ever runs at you, jump back. It beats all her attacks except dash uppercut and machine guns. If she doesn’t use those 2 options you can full combo punish her footsies game and dodge any rocket attacks. If you read machine guns, jump in attack for full combo, if you read the dashing uppercut, block and full punish.

Yimi

Noob
So what's the advantage of Shaolin? If you want zoning you go Ancestral. If you want damage/rushdown/reach you go Bojutsu. What's the point of throwing the Chakram if you also can shoot arrows? The only thing I see that's any good is the arcing dive. Are his normals better or something? Vanilla Kung Jin already has pretty good normals and good setups to get good damage on his other variations.