What's new

KP's Combo Breaker 2015 Experience

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
OP: https://www.facebook.com/bryant.benzing/posts/10205656952716532?pnref=story

Figured I'd share this on TYM, it probably needs to be shared here more than anywhere. More of you should actually attend tournaments. The 'I dont have time ever' excuses, you can keep. If you really want to go, you will find the time. All of these events' information is out at months ahead of time, more than enough time to plan accordingly. It really is worth it, some more than others, but Combo Breaker is a 100% go in my opinion.

Anyway, here we go. If you can't tell already....WARNING; MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT INCOMING.

I'll just start it simply by saying this: Combo Breaker 2015 is the BEST tournament I've personally ever attended (followed by CEO 2014, KiT 2014, NEC 14 [2013]). Keep note this is a PERSONAL list. So if you repost or link this to anyone looking for general speak, it's here but understand I obviously didn't meet every single person or play every single game, etc.

When I rate my tournaments, everything goes into account. Punctuality, interactivity with the scene(s), excitement from the different games from a viewer standpoint, unexpected happenings, salty suites, going out to eat, staff professionalism, EVERYTHING - and if you've been to an event, you understand what the life at a major is all about.

First up, the staff. I volunteered, simply because I do at every major I attend because maybe more so than anything, I want to help make sure everyone is getting their money's worth when it comes to watching/travelling to the event. Running some [MKX] pools, selecting stream matches (yes - totally fishing for props in this department), judging Kung Lao matches, syncing/desyncing controllers so no one gets interrupted in-game (100% success rate btw), hopefully entertaining salty suite with playing/commentary, helping 1st time attendees in any way possible - basically sticking to my initial directons, then going above and beyond, I'll always give 1000%. The other staff members, who personally I knew maybe 3 or 4 of them lol, they were all amzing and easily worked together without hassle. If something was off, because no event this size goes without complication, we could all speak on it, bluntly but sincere enough to not make anyone feel shamed or unworthy of their position. Identify the 'problem', fix it, or if necessary call Rick and then repeat step 2. Combo Breaker 2015 staff was godlike, I'd do it again next year for free.

The games. Boy, the games. Anyone who knows me, knows I essentially play NRS games. So I only signed up for MKX, but I do watch/follow SF, KI, the occassional Smash, and the other games rarely. However you won't see me shitting on any game - not my style. I watched Divekick Top 8 and was entertained, I watched half of UNIEL as well - and while I know absolute zero about that game, I walked away kinda wanting to get into it, it was crazy. Above all however, was the Mystery Game tourney, Alex Nichols alerted me to a fellow Floridian (@GameDragonX on twitter) ripping his way through the bracket and I had to meet him becase I support the home team first and always. He needed a partner for Grand Finals. After a couple of minutes, I guess he knew I am that man and chose me within 5 minutes of talking or so. We were going up against a local and the crowd 'hated' us, allowing the moments for Heel KP to be born. Usually a community sweethear through and through, I LOVED this opportunity to show the 'bad' character that lurks inside. Only the people in-house caught all the popoffs, shit-talk and gestures I did throughout this set but if you want to watch the match itself, check this out:http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/5405617 @ 1:19:50 for Preemptive celebration because that's what heels do and the play from that moment on is awesome. I wish the camera would've switched to me when I went to sit down and play off the projectors - the arrogance was super strong with that one lol. ‪#‎IDARB‬ is a hilariously fun game, everyone should by it. Shoutout to me making Jebailey look broke in that game. The Mystery Game tournament alone is enough to warrant my return to Combo Breaker next year if it happens. I enjoyed watching Nuckledu win SF, more Florida all day - even when he put on the shades vs Ricki lmao. I loved it, however, she cameback that match and hopefully Du and everyone else realize any form of taunting vs her results in a loss of match lol. For KI, I was glad to see alot of their online top guys actually show up and perform well. Their community, albeit 'small' is SUPER dedicated and I hope they continue strong - they did put up that 100k in hours, so they are definitely showing no signs of slowing down. Good shit CDjr , as always, EVO is approaching fast, and I don't expect the KI community to simply watch the throne, if you know what I mean. For Divekick, yes - Divekick, John Martin aka Argenrost is da bess and I will placing money on him at CEO throughout the tourney, come and find me for those sidebets. There's many more games to talk about but I stil can't get over what MKX means to me and how Combo Breaker shows what the competitve drive was all about. Like 90% of the matches from Top 32 on, went 2-1 or 3-2 final round. Everyone who placed deserved it and those guys displayed an amazing showcase for what has the best MKX tournament to date in terms of skill and competition. The future looks VERY bright and huge shoutout to Dizzy for taking it home. Not a dull moment. I really hope everyone enjoyed it.

Next up, the people. I'm usually a guy who's with my local peeps at first, then barely after that because I see them all the time and even though I barely see the others players in the flesh, it's always a great time in my experiences. My NRS guys, all over - you know how much fun we have when we're all together and can just talk shit, play the game and devolve from the realm of drama that lies in our internet perception. I encourage anyone on the outside looking in that we 'NRS' guys aren't just a bunch of immature crybabies and are very approachable/welcoming/everything. Sure, some people may be whatever in your experiences (every communtiy has those), but that's a far cry from the overwhelmingly majority of folks who actually attend majors. I personally hate the stigma attached to us but I do undertsand where it comes from. I'm now PUBLICLY asking people to ignore the online folks and also for our 'top' guys, whether player or personality to tighten up and understand that with MKX (and soon SFV), the FGC is reaching all new heights and we need to apply ourselves accordingly. Yes, I consider myself a 'top' guy. Personality of course, let me earn that 'player' status, in due time.

Personal shoutouts though: This was unexpected for me, but HUGE shoutout to Corn Irl Fgc and all the CORN players, Alucard, Footwurk, AllCaps, Sethlololol and the rest - man, I had too much fun with these boys over the weekend. I know some folks are intimidated and may think what they do is too much - but never did I feel any of those. They understand it's all about folks coming together to play games, and their undying support for one another is ridiculous. They just show it differently than anyone else. They shook every hand, and gave props after losses when it was over without being fake about it and I salute that. Why Foot bets $50 worth on the clock being odd/even I'll never understand lmao but yeah nothing but fun this week. Get a thicker skin, people will talk shit in life. Attacking someone's gameplay is fair game in my eyes, but I didn't hear a personal insult from any of them all weekend. So to those of you at the event who asked me about playing / chilling with them lol they're not monsters (to be fair, 4/5 of these people were first timers and super shy folks). As a matter of fact, it made me want to slide to Detroit early if I could afford Youmacon, we'll see. The players from other communities who might've seen me commentate or play in ESL or my local at Versus Gaming Center or wherever, thanks for approaching and saying what up, I like meeting new faces in the FGC. My boys who I've come to know now for years, i wish we saw each other more often. I wish alot of you could be my blood siblings, but knowing everyone is the next best thing. Shout out to the moms asking for directions to ensure their kids aren't getting DQed, shout out to NRS for showing up and being regular as hell. Like, I just talk to Tyler, Paulo, Boon, Derek+John+Brian (who I needed to talk to more!) casually like I've known them for years. Shout to the boy J-Rosa for trying to side bet with Ed Boon (lmao!) live at Combo Breaker. The last people I saw at Denny's before I left: Dizzy, PPJ, DJT, MIT, REO, DMS, King/King Jr., DarkFire, Slayer, Michealangelo, Sonic Fox and Tom Brady who was ranting about nerfing the whole cast as an apology for Sub Zero. This guy said he would nerf Goro, Kitana, everyone! lololol!

By the way TOs, 24 hour venues are GODLIKE.

I could go on forever, but I took a break and forgot things I wanted to say but I'm sure it's all good, I'll stop here. First my sponsor, TYM poster Awkward Sloth, for without you, I wouldn't be a Mario Kart champion / raffle champion / mystery tournament co-champion. You are the absolute best. Thank @TheHadou for an amzing opportunity for experience. Thanks @TeamSpooky , @BGCallisto and @Sabin for everything both before and behind the scenes, you've got my help on anything you ever need at events. Shout out to @JWonggg for hosting the salty suites on his Twitch channel, we had like 7k at one point watching MKX at like 3 in the morning, ridiculous. All the communities, all the players, staff, Gaming Generations booth, Curtis and Dynamic Custom Beadworks, all the talented folks that had their work on display - everyone. No question, I hope to do this all again next year and at upcoming events.

...and to the folks who sat down to play casuals and said "You're Kitana Prime aren't you?" or "Man, I knew I would lose to you" and anything of that nature, remember this: I'm just a guy playing a game. The same exact game as you. I'm not different or better than you. Put the time in pracicing, that's what it really takes. Nothing more, nothing less.

CEO 2015 is up for me, and if history means anything, it'll be the best tournament ever. Come through, say hi, and bring me cupcakes!

I love MKX, love the FGC, and Kitana sucks. Buff plz.

-KP

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Combo Breaker is the best run tournament I've attended. I expect Jebailey to have something to say about that next month, but for now, they've got the title. 24 hour venues should be the standard at really big Majors. There's no need to cramp 50 funky people in a small room for salty suites. They just kept the stage open and kept the stream running until we were all ready to pass out. I have literally ZERO complaints in regards to the way the tournament was run. Wait, I take that back. The auction tourney did not have Cassie and that is unacceptable. Other than that, it was excellent, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's even thinking about going next year.