What's new

Strategy - Kotal Kahn Kotal Mace Parry Thread

regulas

Your Emporer
So not have much to fill out here as of yet will make this into a proper page when data and other stuff is added, nevertheless wanted to start it out. Basically it feels like Parry will be a huge huge part of making either Blood or Sun god really work out well. Obviously however it's a very complex move on when and where you can use that will be unique to each possible opponent, and here is where we can post it all.

The basics:
-It has an 8 frame start-up (16 duration)
-At 31 frames wiffing can be bad, on the plus side it means that they probably wiffed themselves.
-Works with any physical hit but not with projectiles
- Blocks lows, mid, high, overhead but...
- Does not appear to block air attacks!
- You don't get pushed
-If successful places you at neutral frames (essentially positive in most cases) with a slight dmg buff (33% is what I calculated) it even seems to affect more then one hit but it lasts a very very short time so it's unlikely to get more then 1
-EX has a 1 frame start-up with a 23 frame active window (making it a great wake-up option especially for blood)

Last edited:

ahg1992

Noob
I'm thinking this could be a way of dealing with all of Kotal's unsafe strings.
If you're against someone who is consistently quick to punish some of your unsafe strings and starters, it seems like performing a really negative string and then cancelling into the parry can set up some situations where you can "punish the punish" so to speak.
Could also condition them not to punish so fast and then you could throw out your unsafe strings for free.

[f1b2xxdf2] and [b12xxdf2] seem like the two best options for this little gimmick. (b122 doesn't feel negative enough)

Just throwing ideas out there. Let me know if I'm being an idiot.

Oh, and I'm fairly sure the parry works against some throws as well.

I think the damage is 20% boost for one hit, it lasts like 3 seconds.
It's very underused, but for those strings that have a delayed last hit, I think it's Really good.

regulas

Your Emporer
I think the damage is 20% boost for one hit, it lasts like 3 seconds.
It's very underused, but for those strings that have a delayed last hit, I think it's Really good.
33% is what I calculated from the dmg dealt versus base dmg. At first I thought it was just the first hit, but after some practice with a quick double hit (1,1) I found it seemed to affect both hits.

It's often a good choice for first hit 50/50's especially, if you know they are about to start there string (which you will over time against stronger players) then it just auto blocks whatever mix-up they do for the first hit, even if you can't punish you can at least block.

spin4u

Noob
I think this move is amazing... with time. From what I have been testing any strings with a 7 frame start up wont work. I believe this move is best used on people trying to mix up those slow overheads. I cant see any other use for this move other than knowing the opponents strings.

So I've been messing around with the parry and I've found some success using it as an anti wake up tool as in parrying wake ups. The timing gets some getting use to though

ex parry is 1 frame, might be the only thing in the game that's actually 1 frame, so it'll be able to deal with situations few other characters can. really happy to hear about the extra damage boost though, that's awesome!

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
So if Kotal knocks subzero down and subzero wakes up with slide I can parry it then punish with f2?

D. R.

Noob
If someone can post an actual breakdown of frame data for a successful parry (normal and enhanced) for Kotal Kahn, that would be awesome. With this we can figure out what to use for max punish after the parry, if anything at all is truly guaranteed. I won't be able to test this out until the weekend unfortunately but getting the ball rolling now could help use understand what could be one of his best tools, hopefully.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
If someone has a multihit wakeup attack, like mirror match Kotal war god doing wakeup ex overhead sword, you can parry the first hit and then immediately parry the next hit with ex parry heh. Kotal has options against chip death!
Ok awesome! Question... will the dmg buff stack?

Does blood God have any armoured wake up attacks at all? I feel like the only reliable wake up is the anti air grab? And that only works when they jump over you obviously! Lol

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Does blood God have any armoured wake up attacks at all? I feel like the only reliable wake up is the anti air grab? And that only works when they jump over you obviously! Lol
The best actual attack to do on wakeup is parry or Ex-parry. Otherwise, block, backdash or low poke.

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
This is some awesome info about the parry. I wanted to show this off because I was able to make use of the EN parry today during my sparring session, and it was too much fun.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Parry is a fantastic tool when used right. As the OP and many others have pointed out already, becoming competent with parry is absolutely vital to being competitively viable with Blood God and/or Sun God.