What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn 3 in 1 - Closer look

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Are we not just assuming the chain throw works like Grundy's, where you have to input more buttons to get to the next level at each stage? Not sure why there has to be a drawback to going to level 3 other than it becoming breakable just like Grundy's trait.

ROtagaki

Praise the Sun! Hail Kotal Khan!
Jax had a chain grab in mk9 I think Kotal´s might be similar (command grab though)! Also, in the Raiden trailer, even after doing the hole chain he only level´s once (at least that´s what it looked like)

Sami

Noob
Did you click the link? :)

Are we not just assuming the chain throw works like Grundy's, where you have to input more buttons to get to the next level at each stage? Not sure why there has to be a drawback to going to level 3 other than it becoming breakable just like Grundy's trait.
Apples and oranges.

Grundy's trait being a chain throw serves two purposes:

1) you do different inputs to get different buffs. From what we've seen/guessed about Kotal's chain grab there's just one set of moves/buffs.

2) breakers and clashes work differently. You might consider stopping Grundy's chain early because if the opponent clashed then they could recover health and put you at a disadvantage. Breakers just stop them taking more damage, so there's no reason to not do stop Kotal's chain throw (assuming no draw-backs) as you *want* them to break it so they blow their meter.

From what we know/assume about Kotal's throw there is no reason to stop before level 3 as it does more damage, encourages the opponent to blow 2 bars with no side-effects to you, and (I'm assuming) recovers more health when the other special is performed. Even if there turned out to be different versions of the chain throw for different buffs (like Grundy) there's still no reason to stop before level 3.

Again, this is based on educated guessing from what we know so far.

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Did you click the link? :)

Apples and oranges.

Grundy's trait being a chain throw serves two purposes:

1) you do different inputs to get different buffs. From what we've seen/guessed about Kotal's chain grab there's just one set of moves/buffs.

2) breakers and clashes work differently. You might consider stopping Grundy's chain early because if the opponent clashed then they could recover health and put you at a disadvantage. Breakers just stop them taking more damage, so there's no reason to not do stop Kotal's chain throw (assuming no draw-backs) as you *want* them to break it so they blow their meter.

From what we know/assume about Kotal's throw there is no reason to stop before level 3 as it does more damage, encourages the opponent to blow 2 bars with no side-effects to you, and (I'm assuming) recovers more health when the other special is performed. Even if there turned out to be different versions of the chain throw for different buffs (like Grundy) there's still no reason to stop before level 3.

Again, this is based on educated guessing from what we know so far.
And I do, for the most part, agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said. Emphasis on educated guessing though, as who knows if there may end up being a good reason to stop early depending on how breakers are implemented or some other such unforeseen factor. I hope he does end up having various inputs/animations for different effects like Grundy did too; keeps it from getting stale and the more brutal chain throws the merrier.

Are you guys getting a ps4 or xbox one for mk x? I have played both at my friends' place. I have played a lot more xbone though, because of killer instinct. I myself am planning on buying a ps4, because that is what I have done since ps1 came out.
I'm getting MKX on PC. Won't be buying any consoles for a long time (if ever).
He actually takes a lot of his style from stuff I thought Quan Chi would do ( like he did buffs in mk9, had Dragon king tattoos etc) I wonder what will Quan Chi actually be like in this game in order to be different from Kotal:/
I hope Quan Chi can resurrect corpses mid match or maybe have a zombie that he can command and create asynchronous shenanigans.

Awesome thread!!! Out of the announced characters thus far, I'm definitely wanting to main Kotal Kahn. But I'm sure they will announce mind blowing character after mind blowing character so who really knows yet. Can't wait!!!

trufenix

bye felicia

trufenix

bye felicia
I hope Palm uppercut is unsafe as hell in the final game.
I don't see why it has to be, at this point it already looks to have some pretty decent recovery on it, and he has nothing else safe. Not the totem summons, not the sun summon, nor the sword moves. Even the parry looks pretty booty frame wise, it gets stuffed or just whiffs in every vid.

TKB

Noob
I'm pretty stoked to play this character he is such a fucking BADASS. I've always loved the Aztec/Mayan culture(although he is clearly Aztec) too so it's just a win-win. :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't see why it has to be, at this point it already looks to have some pretty decent recovery on it, and he has nothing else safe. Not the totem summons, not the sun summon, nor the sword moves. Even the parry looks pretty booty frame wise, it gets stuffed or just whiffs in every vid.
Only blocks physical attacks, and you have to get used to the opponents attacks to use that parry.

My guess is, the parry is like this because i still think Kotal might gain something if done successfully, we don't know why, but since he is a status influence character it can be anything good for him to use, like joker's parry maybe.

i dont know why but this guy knows kahns strings, he has very few compared to someone like cassie Cage. also all but three are only 2 hits, the others have 3:

http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_x/moves/445/Kotal Kahn/

he has them for everyone but raiden

im curious if 1 is a high again

@Eddy Wang , if youre really bored, make a string guide with the existing Video footage? :p maybe i will actually do this now but i cant record.

edit: did that

Last edited:
string breakdown from Trailers, now finally final post after 20 thousand edits:

we have confirmed strings:

http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_x/moves/445/Kotal Kahn/

1, 1 (two front punches, special cancellable)

1,1,4 (double FP into bigfoot back kick, knocks away, special cancellable)

b1,2 (long front punch into launcher (the 2 looks just as in f1, 2), can be extended to b1,2,2, special cancellable)

f1, b2 (shoulder ram into straight fist, special cancellable)

f1, 2 (shoulder ram into launcher, Special cancellable)

2,1 (back punch into front punch, can also extend to 2,1,2, Special cancellable)

(yes im am sure all These are right, please dont ask why, its really complicated :D).

there is no material of these strings:

2, b2 (probably back punch into a straight fist (same as in f1, b2), Special cancellable)

b1,4 (probably fp into bigfoot, knockaway)

the strings beginning with 3

Media:

a) at 9:42 and 10:10: 1, 1

b) at 11:57: f1, b2

c) at 12:44: f1, 2

a) at 5:19: 2,1

a) 1:12: 1,1 and then f1,2

b) at 2:05: 1,1,4 (into x-ray)

at 1:04: b1,2~totem; d1~MB air throw; Palm Uppercut; 2,1~air throw

at 2:32: f1,2 and 11 inside the Combo

Last edited:

Flagg

Noob
Only blocks physical attacks, and you have to get used to the opponents attacks to use that parry.

My guess is, the parry is like this because i still think Kotal might gain something if done successfully, we don't know why, but since he is a status influence character it can be anything good for him to use, like joker's parry maybe.
Maybe this parry works much in the same way as CSZ. Extremely fast start up, with the potential to interrupt strings, but only blocks mid-high normals and only some up-close specials.

Hands down Kotal Khan looks the best character to date. I really like deep, complex fighting characters.

trufenix

bye felicia

The Raiden footage (or any of it) doesn't give a clear indication of its utility, he definitely recovers almost instantaneously , but that could mean nothing if it doesn't deter or hold the opponent long enough for any of his slow ass punishes. It would be nice if it parry'd all highs, including specials and overheads, but that would still mean he'd get blown up by people with super fast strings or multihit specials.

It's definitely not variant specific though, so I don't think it ties into any of his other systems. Of all the characters so far, he's the one whose arsenal I'm the most worried about cause he seems to lack a way to open people up or zone. Unless he's just supposed to set up sun traps and wait for the opponent to hang himself. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Has anyone seen the palm upper canceled into or mb'ed? I'm beginning to suspect its not a special...
Do not make assumpions without any proof that is not how it works.

Every single special move in MKX, builds slightly a bit of meter when executed, it doesn't have to hit the opponent at all (this came from MK9), and not every single special move can be meterburned (MK9 had it, IGAU too)

if you played both, you know that Batgirl Cartwheel, can be changed by holding up for the kick and holding down for a low attack post use, and that move can be meterburned.

Green Arrow Hurricane Bow can't be meterburned
In fact in Injustice every character has one special move that can't be meterburned.
Skarlet red Slide and Blood Ball in MK9, do not have EX versions, though the armor of Crimson Dash carries trough slide, or slashes.

Has anyone seen the palm upper canceled into or mb'ed? I'm beginning to suspect its not a special...
yes i have seen the f1,2 string being cancelled into Palm Uppercut multiple times, examples in the videos in the string analysis above so it can be confirmed as special.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So I'm beginning to suspect the obsidian totem actually does reduce chip damage.
We've seen in gameplay that it doesn't scale the combo down any or boost his damage, and it would make sense for his totem form to have some kind of chip prevention.
Speculation, but possible.