What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Kotal Kahn 3 in 1 - Closer look

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Last Closer Look: http://testyourmight.com/threads/update-scorpion-3-in-1-closer-look.44893/

Kotal is a Status influence character, capable of altering his own proprieties in the moveset with self buffs, yet Kotal is by far the most complex character revealed so far, so dificult to understand without playing.

Each one of his tatoos are related to each one of his variations, yet only one by far is the most known, the other two are a total mistery of complexity.

All EX (MB) are in ( ) all descriptions and technical messages are in "" all "temporarily" texts has to be read with Kotal's voice.

Special moves: (non variant dependant)

Palm uppercut: "Launches opponents in air and grants a juggle."

Aztec Shield : "projectile" (Stronger Aztec Shield): "Projectile"

Sun Beam: Summons a beam from the sun that gives health to Kotal at chip speed if he stands on it, but takes opponents health at chip speed if the opponent stands on it. "(Close (on Kotal), mid, Far)"

Chest Cutting: Loses health, gains damage Buff, "temporarily".

Throw (air): "grabs ppl out of air or juggles states" (Ex Throw (air): grants Juggles out of air or juggles.

Bellow the most complex trait of the game shown so far, the gods variations.

:::Variations:::​

- Blood God -​
Visual Diference: Tatoos and eyes are Red, a Totem sign is displayed in the health hud.

Ability: Adds Crystal Totem, Obsidian Totem & Blood Totems to Kotal Kahn's moveset

Armor defense: A Parry move that shields against physical attacks without losing health, Kotal "temporarily" glows for a very short period of time if done successfuly.
Note: This special move is only been seen used in this variation, not sure if is universal, but since the shield makes part of Kotal defauts armor in any variation so i might be.

Blood Totems: There are three magical totems, in fact each one gives a different affect to Kotal:

Obsidian Totem: Raises Kotal defense, when this totem is up all damage dealt in Kotal's body will be scaled hard, has a blue aura, this same aura will surround Kotal enduring his body like the Obsidian stone.

Crystal Totem: : Boost Kotal's damage output as long as its active, has a crystalized Aura,this same aura surrounds his both arms.

Blood Totem: Has a red Aura, any damage kotal deals to the opponent, the blood gets stacked in the totem, if Kotal doesn't get hit until the totem disappears all the blood stacked in the totem will restore Kotal's health.

- War God -​
Visual Difference: Has blue eyes and Blue tatoos, a sign of a Macuahuitl is displayed in the health hud.

Ability: Adds Macuahuitl based special moves ( Macuahuitl Toss, Macuahuitl Rip, Macuahuitl Slam)

Macuahuitl is a tough name to spell, but yes all "mah - cuah -huitl " special moves do have EX versions.

Macuahuitl Toss: Toss his sword at the opponent, it can be meterburned.

Macuahuitl Rip: puts the sword inside the opponent and rip the flesh out, it can be meterburned for more damage.

Macuahuitl Slam: perform a powerful strike in the opponent, when meterburned leaves a sort of shockwave.

- Sun God -​
Visual Difference: Has yellow eyes and yellow tatoos, a sign of a Sun is displayed in the health hud.

Ability: Adds Sun God Choke & Soul Scourch to Kotal Kahn's moveset.

Sun God Choke: Its a command throw that buffs kotal's tattoos marks at each use dealing more damage to the opponent each use. Also speculated to be a chain grab (raiden trailer) here it can be seen he going from lvl1 to lvl3 by performing all the shocke as the tatoos started to glow in a single streak.

Soul Scourch: Allows Kotal to uses a bar of meter and gain some health back, the amount of health gained is determined by the level of the tatoo, a level 3 Sun God Choke is a sign that the tatoo is at his max level.

X- Ray: Lime Light

Fatality: Blood Sacrifice:

Credits to the image gifs goes to Pterodactyl.

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Very nice write up. Can't wait to play this Kahn guy

Sami

Noob
Fortune Totem: is this a passive meter gain or does it increase the meter is gained from doing meter-building things (attacking, being attacks, etc)?

Sun God Choke: Not sure if they've changed this at E3 or if I'm just remembering it wrong. At E3 it looked like the throw changed depending on the level of the tattoo:
  • Level 0: Do first part of the throw and stop. Tattoos become Level 1.
  • Level 1: Do the first and second part of the throw and stop. Tattoos become Level 2.
  • Level 2: Do all 3 parts of the throw (ending with the pillar of light burn thing). Tattoos become Level 3.
However, in the Raiden video he goes from level 0-3 with one throw. Unless there's a draw-back to going up in levels I don't see the point of levels 1 and 2...

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
I've alway been a tier-whore but Kotal Kahn is so bad ass that I will have to main him regardless, even if he ends up being low tier!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Fortune Totem: is this a passive meter gain or does it increase the meter is gained from doing meter-building things (attacking, being attacks, etc)?

Sun God Choke: Not sure if they've changed this at E3 or if I'm just remembering it wrong. At E3 it looked like the throw changed depending on the level of the tattoo:
  • Level 0: Do first part of the throw and stop. Tattoos become Level 1.
  • Level 1: Do the first and second part of the throw and stop. Tattoos become Level 2.
  • Level 2: Do all 3 parts of the throw (ending with the pillar of light burn thing). Tattoos become Level 3.
However, in the Raiden video he goes from level 0-3 with one throw. Unless there's a draw-back to going up in levels I don't see the point of levels 1 and 2...
His meter builds when Kotal attacks.

The tatoo is always on level 1, there is no level 0.

And that is what i'm thinking too, there is probably a draw back mechanic if sun god choke is a chain grab,

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Did a small tweak into Blood God, the obsidian move wasn't make any sense from day 1, so i googled obsidian.

and found out that is a stone which in fact is also the same material his knife was crafted into, the object he uses to parry wasn't made of obsidian, like his knife so that wasn't adding up. This imediately gave me the conclusion of how blood god works, i got it right but the trait names were wrong.

The Blood God descritpion says: Add Crystal, Obsidan and Blood Totems

It was very misleading that no one tough about it for a second because of the parry move, in fact it turns out the trait adds the 3 totems, Crystal Totem, Obsidian Totem and Blood Totem (Totem X, Y, Z like Ed Boon said)

And with the totem sign in the health hud you just sum 2+2 and you get blood god in a nutshell.

So chances are that Parry move might be universal because the object is part of Kotal's Armor in any variation.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
I don't care about tier lists, I play video games for what they are intended for. (fun)

Kotal Kahn gets even more interesting every time I learn something new about him. Thanks for the write up.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I went ahead and gave my perspective on the 0-3 "chain grab" in another topic, I honestly think it was just for show.
Probably switched the animation of level 1 or level 3 which would explain the level up look of it, while keeping the final throw animation.
Or, worst come to, its like Bane's ring slam where you could do it for easy damage but the advantage is crap, where as maybe the other ones give you more adv or better positioning.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
He actually takes a lot of his style from stuff I thought Quan Chi would do ( like he did buffs in mk9, had Dragon king tattoos etc) I wonder what will Quan Chi actually be like in this game in order to be different from Kotal:/

Are you guys getting a ps4 or xbox one for mk x? I have played both at my friends' place. I have played a lot more xbone though, because of killer instinct. I myself am planning on buying a ps4, because that is what I have done since ps1 came out.