What's new

Tech Skarlet 101 - Ep#6 - Counter Reads

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Purple means Counter Reading Defensively,
Green means Counter Reading Offensively:
........ = Frame gaps where your opponent will armor
**** = Frame Disadvantage where your opponent will try to punish.

General Explanation: When any character with armor reads a hole on your pressure, and he armors to escape it, and you touch his armor with any normal and cancel using your character's armor right after to nullify your opponent armor and punish is called "Counter Read"

Why is this called counter read, and not counter armor?
Its called Counter Read because you can only do it, if you actually read your opponent will armor out of something you do, desperately to catch you off guard and escape your setups.
Every Character with armor can use counter reads, still, those who has better armor can do it effectively against others.

Skarlet i.e the character in subject on this topic can take advantage of this for several reasons.

+Downslash starter gets full damaging combos 30% can be squeezed out of it out of a Counter Read.
+ Some characters even takes longer to recover when they use armor moves which will make F4 a good starter
+ A counter read makes the opponent badly spend his meter, and if he uses breaker after a "counter read punish", he will have nothing.
+ Still hit confirm-able if the opponent doesn't armor out of it
+ Still hit confirm-able against characters who can cancel they armor to counter Skarlet armor (i.e Kabal, Rain, Jade)
- If they don't use armor Skarlet loses a bar of meter, but gets free pressure.

1# Counter Read while you check between frame gaps:
Opponents who doesn't respect a F4 check after Skarlet succeeds on landing a D4 (vs standing) and D3 (vs Crouching) on hit:
D4 ....... F4~Ex RD
D3(vs Crouch) ..... F4~Ex RD

2# Counter Reads while pressure with vulnerable disadvantage
Opponents who know these strings are very punishable after they block it:
F312~****~Ex RD
F3,3~****~Ex RD

Characters who can escape Skarlet's counter reads after using armor:
Jade
Kabal
Rain
Skarlet
Characters who can escape it with X-Ray Cancels
Sub-Zero
Smoke

Characters who can block a downslash out of a counter read after using armor.
Jax (Ex Ovearhead smash), (Ex dash Punsh)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Counter Reads combo starters Starter deals 1% more damage on any armor, but in the end of the combo, the BnB itself should have 5% more damage. Which can only mean one thing.
Any character that utilizes armor, becomes vulnerable during its recovery and the combos will possibly deal more damage than usual.
So make sure you use retarted damage when you punish a character who just used armor.

In this video you'll see regular Resets BnBs doing stupid damage.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
VEry nice man. This is where Skarlet players can make the top tiers pay for there abuse of armor.
yeah, Skarlet haters will dislike this vid, and this tech
i like how i was able to get a 37% reset from a downslash starter without jiP LOL.

Now that i notice that i can do even more damage by punishing armor, i'll definitely not leave this at a chance.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
i gotta get some skarlet experience....i have barely any idea how to fight her, same with raiden x.x

Axel_Redd

well, how do i fight her?, im probably gonna face her with kung or Kitana, reptile would be a 4-6. x.x i need some insight on this character.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
well, how do i fight her?, im probably gonna face her with kung or Kitana, reptile would be a 4-6. x.x i need some insight on this character.
I think Reptile is a difficult match-up for Skarlet, especially if the Skarlet player relies heavily on her aerial tools. Nevermind that though. Just look around these forums for help against Skarlet. RedRaptor made a fairly comprehensive video entitled 'How to Fight Skarlet', or something to that affect.

Better yet, fight as many Skarlet's as possible.

Or best, learn Skarlet. She's really nuanced--by far the coolest character in MK9. She's a newb slayer also--that is, opponents that don't know how to block at the highest level will almost certainly lose to her in very short order.

Axel_Redd

I think Reptile is a difficult match-up for Skarlet, especially if the Skarlet player relies heavily on her aerial tools. Nevermind that though. Just look around these forums for help against Skarlet. RedRaptor made a fairly comprehensive video entitled 'How to Fight Skarlet', or something to that affect.

Better yet, fight as many Skarlet's as possible.

Or best, learn Skarlet. She's really nuanced--by far the coolest character in MK9. She's a newb slayer also--that is, opponents that don't know how to block at the highest level will almost certainly lose to her in very short order.
i already play kitana tho...an im workin on kabal...altho, kabal isn't very practical to play online i guess.

ryublaze

Noob
Eddy Wang Really nice video and tech. The risk/reward seems to be in Skarlet's favor as she can hit confirm the EX Red Dash into combo, or stop for pressure to build that meter back. You should add this to the video guides thread or tech thread btw.

While watching this, I realize there are two ways to play Skarlet. I might write about it later.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I will RedRaptor10, i'm just too busy with school on these last days, and i really think ppl didn't care about this tech so much, or they just didn't saw it. The big deal about this tech, that actually is getting me surprised is how the damage increases because she punishes the opponent while he armors or while he is recovering from it, which seems to be programmed for some sort of vulnerability if both moves trades and then one is punished while still using it. Maybe STORMS will front page this and the new noob's black hole tech if he wants to ^_^