What's new

Just how important is that first bar?

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Of the entire cast, I feel like Flash is the most dangerous with the first bar. Any touch he gets on you turns into a 50%+ combo
Just putting it out there, if Grundy gets the first hit he's doing atleast 50%. And if there's a BGB he's doing atleast 70%

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Meter for BG isn't essential but it's always nice to prevent your opponent from having it. Looking at my matches I noticed it didn't really make a huge difference in whether or not I won so there's that.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It's important, but unlike MK where it basically determined who would be able to break first, I'd say INJ is just a bit more character specific. With characters like Catwoman, who have trouble building meter (comparatively) it can mean everything as a way to start offense and get the life lead. For others, such as Aquaman, a d1 into Tridant Rush basically builds them a meter anyway, so it's not as crucial.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You earn and spend meter so quickly in this game, it may not have that much weight unless you catch an early opportunity to take advantage, such as how flash might. However, if you don't get first hit but survive until you build some meter, you just have to use it a little more sparingly to catch up in the meter game by the time clash comes around.

ryublaze

Noob
kind of off topic but wut do people think about trades giving the 1st bar to a player randomly? if it really is that important then maybe it shouldn't be random cuz technically no one got the first hit...

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Just checked 12 matches, a few from GBS and a few from Evo top 8.

9 matches first hit won the match.
3 matches first hit lost the match.

Not a huge sample. Maybe I'll get ambitious one day and do it for all of Evo top 8. My guess is a large enough sample will show it go to about 6:4 if you get first hit you win. I bet too that number is slightly higher for tournament than it is for casuals. The mental aspect of knowing you already lost the very first thing to do can make a big difference.

Justice

Noob
I'd say it's arguably more important than the second bar. Meter building is important but so is screen positioning. Say for example Catwoman vs Bane. If Bane pushes me into the corner and ends the round, I know that I'm not getting out of that corner without losing even more life. Taking that bar and leaving your opponent in perfect footsie range is also a very nice place to be.