What's new

Just how important is that first bar?

Can't remember if there's ever been a thread discussing this subject, but its something that I was thinking about earlier and I've been wondering how other people felt. As we all know (or should), getting the first hit at the start of the match scores you a full bar of meter.
We often talk about just how important momentum is to Injustice as a game....so just how big a role do you feel that plays in a match?

As Green Arrow, I sometimes feel like who gets that first bar can dictate a huge portion of the fight. Even though Arrow doesn't make much usage of meter; simply preventing the other player from having it can be huge for the opening of the round because it limits their damage output and ways to get off my pressure. Its so important I often will spend the first few moments usually not even bothering to load an arrow in favor of simply trying to hit them with a measily 1%, exclusively to take that bar.
I honestly believe that just winning this first part of the meta significantly improves my chances to win the overall fight....though I would hesitate to put a number on the percentage.

What say you all?

4x4lo8o

Noob
I think it's super important. A lot of characters need meter to combo or get full damage of their conversions, so if you don't get the first hit and that bar of meter in addition to being down on life sometimes it also means you don't a have a bar to convert when you do land your first hit.

Some characters have mind games that you don't have to respect if they don't have meter, like Sinestro's Fear Blast where you have to guess whether he'll mb it or not, and establishing that early on can be huge

It matters a lot especially to like 90% of the cast because they need meter to do big damage. As wonder women it's not a whole lot important because I don't need meter to do damage but not letting the opponent have it is even more important since they can't do their biggest damage

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Getting the first bar in NRS games is how you determine First Turn Advantage.

Say, with Shazam, getting that early bar, even off a D1, means any hit I get into HM leads to an at least 35% combo, as opposed to 26% meterless if I get a very specific combo and background bounce isn't available.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
flash with first hit is scariest character in the game, hits you first and you already in the corner, lost 60% of you health and will either reverse your wake up into 50/50 or do some crazy cross up that you can't react to. then you stay in the corner in the next round. if flash touches you he's getting that first bar and uses it the best in this game hands down.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Of the entire cast, I feel like Flash is the most dangerous with the first bar. Any touch he gets on you turns into a 50%+ combo

Clark L.

F1 ftw.
Ba doesn't need meter to take 47-55% off your health bar. But like any other person I'd rather my opponent not have it.

E

Eldriken

I feel it's a deciding factor on who will win in the Doomsday vs MMH MU.

It doesn't always determine who will win, but it can.

Just my opinion.

I feel it's super important for Doomsday because he's so meter dependent until you get your opponent into the corner.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I've been saying since MK9 I want see a good stats break down of this. As a Flash player I know how powerful it can be but I'd still love to see the stats of first hit vs winning the match. My guess is that it is in favor but not by as much as you'd think. Just a guess though, never did any stats myself.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I've been saying since MK9 I want see a good stats break down of this. As a Flash player I know how powerful it can be but I'd still love to see the stats of first hit vs winning the match. My guess is that it is in favor but not by as much as you'd think. Just a guess though, never did any stats myself.
was thinking about this a few moments ago myself. was thinking about looking through my tournament matches and seeing if i go first hit and if i actually won the match or not.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
its super important in that, if u take the first bar, you have a massive advantage in the next round. The whole reason i hate this system really. Itd be like if in mk9 the person who loses the first round goes into 2nd round with 50% health....yeah, it just feels like its kicking the losing player when their already down.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
As Zod, if I get that first hit... I am like 90% certain I can win the match against 90% of the cast. (Usually entails a free trait/interactable)...

It is huge

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
As Zod, if I get that first hit... I am like 90% certain I can win the match against 90% of the cast. (Usually entails a free trait/interactable)...

It is huge
Relaxed, u up for some Zod mirrors? i've let myself get rusty and need some idea's for setups and whatnot.

and yeah, if zod takes that first bar...he can easily play lame, especially with them interactables.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
i may be newish but i never use meter for ww unless i meter burn cancel a blocked string or stuff a wakeup. regardless, the first hit is important because it can give you positioning...like moving your opponent towards the corner.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Idk really, it depends on the comeback factor of your character. As Lex I play a momentum-heavy character that doesn't have to get too nervous about health with my trait. I care more about getting rid of clash options than thinking about my own. So I would say it's nice to make them clash but it doesn't matter for me as much where my healthbar is.