What's new

[Jun 11, 2016] MAGMA 2016 (2nd Year) Tournament (Pigeon Forge, TN)

Hello Folks,
We are back for the 2nd year of MAGMA in east TN. Looking forward to seeing a lot of returning players and hopefully a lot of new faces.

Event Site:
http://www.magmacon.org/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MountainAnimationGamingandMediaAlliance

Special Guests:
Quinton Joseph Flynn
Laura Post
Danielle McRae
The Knoxville Academy of the Blade
B.C. Hepner

Venue:
Smoky Mountain Convention Center

4010 Parkway
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863

Smoky Mountain Convention Center is conveniently located adjacent to our host hotel The Ramada South. This beautiful venue has plenty of room and ample parking for MAGMA’s attendees. Concessions will be available on site as well as numerous restaurants located within walking distance of the facility.

Hotel:
The Ramada South

4010 Parkway
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863

(865) 453-1823

http://smokymountainconventioncenter.com/groupbooking.php?id=00032

The Ramada hotel is adjacent to The Smoky Mountain Convention Center. Pigeon Forge Ramada features an on-site mini-mart, a heated outdoor pool and hot tub, and a deluxe continental breakfast including Belgian waffles. They have 122 total rooms which include non smoking rooms, smoking rooms, pet friendly rooms, Jacuzzi rooms, family suites and two-bedroom Suites. They also offer ample free parking, free in-room wireless Internet access, and friendly service at our 24-hour Front Desk.

Tournament Rules:
MAGMA Tournament Rules
  • All paid tournament games are $10 per entry, in addition to the initial venue fee. Entry fees will be used for cash prizes in their respective tournaments.
  • Top 3 prizes are as follows: 1st – 70%; 2nd – 20%; 3rd – 10%.
  • You must provide your own controller for games played on the PlayStation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, and Wii U.
  • All converters are the responsibility of the player. All Cronus Max converters are not allowed
  • All wireless controllers which pair to a PS3 are banned. An example: Sony DualShock 3.
  • 3rd-party controllers which pair to a dongle such as the MadCatz controllers are allowed. DualShock 4s are also allowed, due to the nature of their connectivity to PS3s.
  • All macros available via the in-game controller configuration menu are allowed.
  • Hardware programmable input entry, rapid-fire, or other hardware assisted mechanisms are strictly forbidden.
  • All games will be played on the default settings, unless otherwise specified below.
  • Any tournament players that are not present when their match is called for will have a period of two (2) minutes to report to their station with the required equipment. After the two minute period has expired, you will be forced to forfeit your Match. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • Equipment sharing between players is prohibited.
  • Accidentally pausing the game at any time during the fight may force you to forfeit the round (solely at a judge’s discretion).
  • Any player using “Random Select” to pick their character, must “Random Select” again if they win the match.
  • Only one coach near a player.
  • Anyone visibly intoxicated or otherwise under the influence will be immediately ejected from the tournament, and may be banned. If cooperation is not immediate, we will not hesitate to contact local authorities.
  • We have a zero tolerance policy toward violence, threats of violence, intimidation, and other forms of thuggery. Any threat of violence, extreme intimidation, or violence of any kind will result in an immediate and lifetime ban.
  • Gambling is prohibited in and/or around the event hall. This is a Tennessee law, and any player that gambles on the property will be immediately ejected from the tournament and possibly banned.
Playing the Match

• The player who won the last Game is required to keep the same characters and order of characters for the next Game.
  • The player who lost the last Game is allowed to choose whatever characters or character order they desire.
Rule Violations

• It is the responsibly of the players in the match to detect all match rule violations and report them to a Judge.
  • All non-gameplay rule violations must be reported to a Judge before the game starts.
  • Players are not allowed to stop a Game in progress to address a non-gameplay related rule violation. Stopping a game in progress to report a non-gameplay rule violation will result in the forfeiture the round on the part of the person stopping the Game.
  • The only time a player is allowed to stop a Game to report a rule violation is when that violation occurs during the middle of the match (e.g. A game freezing glitch in Street Fighter).
  • Stopping a Game in progress to erroneously report a rule violation automatically results in the forfeiture of the round by the player who stopped the game.
  • Rule violations must be reported at the time they occur. Otherwise, they will be ignored.
  • A Judge is allowed to report any rule violations on behalf of a player.
  • If a Judge stops a game to mis-report a rule violation, the Game is replayed with both players picking the same characters, order, and side. No one is disqualified.
  • The only people allowed to stop a game to report a violation are the Judge and the players.
  • If a player accidentally or intentionally stops their game for any other reason, he will be forced to forfeit the round. Examples include accidentally pressing the start button on their controller to pause the match, unplugging their or their opponent’s fightstick, etc.
  • Match interruptions beyond the players control (e.g. the game crashes or freezes) will be dealt with directly by the Judge. All best attempts will be made to resume the round from where it left off. If that cannot be accomplished, the Game will be replayed with both players picking the same characters and modes.
Reporting Equipment Failure: Video game hardware has a tendency to break down during tournaments. Buttons or joysticks will occasionally break down in the middle of a match, leaving the player on the broken side at a significant disadvantage. The following rules will be used in the event of a breakdown.

• If a Game is stopped in progress, the reporting player must forfeit the current round.
  • New equipment must be immediately available. If replacement equipment cannot be obtained in a timely manner, the player must continue to play on their current equipment or forfeit the Match.
  • Once replacement equipment is obtained, the player is given the rest of the round to configure their buttons and test the new equipment. If the player gains an undue advantage by doing so (e.g. charging an abundance of super meter), they must forfeit the Game.
  • A player may opt to switch out equipment between Games at no penalty. When this occurs, the player will be given ample time to configure their buttons before the next Game begins.
MORTAL KOMBAT XL RULES:
  • Game Version: PlayStation 4, NTSC/US
  • Double Elimination
  • Game Settings: Versus Mode, 99 Seconds, 2/3 Rounds, 3/5 Games
  • Winner must pick same character and variation. Loser may change character and/or variation.
  • Stage select: random
  • Interactables: On
  • Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals will be decided over 3/5 games
MAGMA_alliance.png

Last edited:
Currently do not have the schedule or any further details. The website hasn't been completely updated for this year. We will for sure be having MKX and SFV. The other games you can ignore until it is further updated.

I'll post in this thread when we get more information. I will be fighting for a prize pot bonus for both games again this year. I'd really like to see a strong turn out from our area and the surrounding areas. The more people we can get turning out for the FGC the more money i can get behind the tournaments.

Hopefully i can meet more of you guys from TYM because i had a great time meeting people last year.

*UPDATE*
Changed the games to 3/5 for MKX. The website has been updated a bit some things do still need to be changed though. Also i will personally be putting a pot bonus behind MKX for $100+ probably going to do $200 but it depends on how busy work is. The more people we get in the more money you stand to make if you show up. I may or may not also toss a pot bonus onto SFV haven't decided yet.

If anyone sees any rules that aren't up to standards or looks odd then please let me know as soon as possible. I work full time 6days a week, 12-15hrs a day so i do miss things on the website that need to be changed or rules that are now standard that weren't the last time i did this lol.

**EDIT**
Would you guys prefer 3/5 or 2/3 games? We ran 2/3 last year but it looks like some tournaments are running 3/5 now. Comment and tell me what you think.

AGRxShiroKuma

The White Bear
*UPDATE*
Changed the games to 3/5 for MKX. The website has been updated a bit some things do still need to be changed though. Also i will personally be putting a pot bonus behind MKX for $100+ probably going to do $200 but it depends on how busy work is. The more people we get in the more money you stand to make if you show up. I may or may not also toss a pot bonus onto SFV haven't decided yet.

If anyone sees any rules that aren't up to standards or looks odd then please let me know as soon as possible. I work full time 6days a week, 12-15hrs a day so i do miss things on the website that need to be changed or rules that are now standard that weren't the last time i did this lol.

**EDIT**
Would you guys prefer 3/5 or 2/3 games? We ran 2/3 last year but it looks like some tournaments are running 3/5 now. Comment and tell me what you think.
Best 3/5 would be great. That's what most tournaments do.

Im requesting this day off. Count me in. Ill do all the signing up and things tonight after work. Hope to see you guys!

I agree with 3/5. I loved when KiT started it and i run my tournaments the same. I think most everyone would agree.

Question: stream support?
If it's like last year probably not. The hotel net couldn't handle it and it was a pain to try to get them to give us a dedicated connection so we just started doing VODs instead. Usually of finals but I'll try to get top this year if possible.

Best 3/5 would be great. That's what most tournaments do.
I personally prefer 3/5 so I'd rather run it that way. Jus wanted to check with the community first. Hopefully we get a strong turnout this year. The more people I get participating the more I can cater to our community and up our prize pool.

Im requesting this day off. Count me in. Ill do all the signing up and things tonight after work. Hope to see you guys!

I agree with 3/5. I loved when KiT started it and i run my tournaments the same. I think most everyone would agree.
I took the weekend off so I could have ample time.

VOD is not a bad idea if streaming isnt possible. I have a lot of streaming equipment and i can do stream overlay graphics as well. Itd be awesome to make this thing as professional as we can to really amp up the presentation
Yeah I definitely like having it the best we can. I could have streamed last year if not for the hotel net issue. I had all my equipment with me.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
You know I'll be there :) Shame I've come back to mkx after all this time only to find that i and my pc brethren had been shafted in my absence :p

Right on. Yea the pc thing sucks. I really liked playing on pc and I had alot more friends that played.

Now on ps4 it's all random lol