What's new

Johnny2d - My Weekend in MK (Minneapolis)

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I've got some cool stories that I wanted to share with everyone here :)

*My Weekend in MK*

Friday 7/18/14: MK Fundraiser!!!
$108 Raised By Playing Mk9!!!

I teach Media Arts and Animation in Minneapolis and every year we have an animation festival at a local theater. This year we’re raising funds to try to make our film festival bigger and better. As a fundraising activity I hosted a FIGHT THE TEACHER video game day, where I basically money matched my students at $10-1 for 8 hours straight. Students paid $1 for each fight, and if they could beat me, I would donate $10 of my own money. I ended up fighting 108 matches, winning every match! This means we raised $108 just by playing Mk9 all day. Good stuff!

This puts a significant dent in the money we hoped to raise, but we can still use more help. Feel free to paypal me to donate to our annual film festival at: [email protected]

Here’s our best of collection from previous festivals if anyone wants to check it out:

Saturday 7/19/14: FlagDayFighting03!!!
Local Minneapolis Tournament!!!

In Minneapolis we’ve got a great scene with support from a few really active TO’s and a local game store, but the community here is heavily weighted to the Capcom, Anime, and Smash side. I’ve wanted to get a dedicated NRS squad together to play the games I love on a competitive level, so I’ve started hosting my own locals. This Saturday was our 3rd event in a series we are calling FlagDayFighting, named after our kickoff launch event, everyone had so much fun with the name that it has stuck. FlagDayfighting features NRS games and Ki. This time around we had an 8 man bracket for Mk9 and an 11 man bracket for Ki.

Final Results of Mk:
1st: Shizzzamm (Not to be confused with Shazzyam)
2nd: Johnny2D

Final Results of Ki:
1st: Rocksteady (Who got 13th at Evo)
2nd: Joe Dert

FlagDayFighting04 will be Saturday August 9th, and I will be streaming live all day! We hope to do this at least twice a month. I’m in the process of editing the footage from the event and will cut together finals for both games.

Sunday: STB Online Invitational!!!
Post Evo Online Tournament Series!!!

Last week STB hosted an online tournament series that had pool brackets each night during the week, then grand finals for Mk9 and Injustice Sunday evening. I streamed all pools on twitch.tv/johnny2d, and all of grand finals on Sunday. I’m happy to report good numbers, with around 50 people tuning in for Mk each time, and more for Injustice. Doesn’t sound like much compared to Spooky, Arturo, Max, etc. but I just started streaming last week, and I’m just getting started as a nobody. I’m just happy to be able to give back to STB who have given me so much love by adding me to their team :) I’m in the process of editing the footage from this series, and you will be able to see it in my archives on twitch. The winners were already announced front page of TYM so go check that out!

So, is there a point to all this???
1. I just wanted to share what was an exhausting and amazing experience. I literally spent all of my free time setting up for our games, so people could enjoy our games together. I loved it and am on a high from the amazing experience.

2. If anyone wants to donate to our film festival, I thought why not share our story with the Mk community, my students had a riot getting nut-punched all day! Paypal: [email protected]

3. Mk9 lives on. There’s no such thing as a dead game as long as you want to play it, and you put energy into it. I spent too much time on the sidelines of Mk9 waiting for a community to come to me, when I should have been more active in making the community that I wanted. It’s true that Mk9 is past its prime in majors, but you can do amazing things with it… If you love it, play the shit out of it and share it with everyone.

-Cheers :)

@STORMS @AK RM Blake @STB Shujinkydink @Goldy @CrimsonShadow

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I was just going to ask if that was was @Rocksteady in the pic. Great stuff man -- always makes me happy to see people putting time into their communities.

Johnny2d

I was just going to ask if that was was @Rocksteady in the pic. Great stuff man -- always makes me happy to see people putting time into their communities.
Rocksteady is actually our Rockstar TO in Minnesota, but he can't do everything on his own, so I'm getting stuff going to supplement his initiatives, and helping him out with his stuff when I can.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Dammit this had to happen after I left Minneapolis lol. I might be in town some weekends in August..is the 9th the only date planned so far?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Good Shit Johnny, i have a friend who teaches math in the University in the saturdays for those who have problems in catching up, before he beggins he always writes in the board "MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY" and says to his students:
"Bring anyone that knows how to play, this person cannot be part of my crew, if they beat me, or any member of my crew, i will give you lessons for free."

Johnny2d

Dammit this had to happen after I left Minneapolis lol. I might be in town some weekends in August..is the 9th the only date planned so far?
There is a Ki tournament at Games N Go August 1st, but the next thing I'm hosting, FlagDay04, is August 9th. Also, Hyper Fighting 2 is coming up August 30th. Hyper Fighting 2 will have all the games just like last time.

thehadou

Bumbling towards greatness.
@Johnny2d is the kind of community member more communities need. Just an all around good dude. Although his gatherings have shown me just how far my MK game has fallen since 2011. I'm relegated to Noob/Ermac spamming now. Profound sadness.