What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
In next patch really feel fistcuffs johnny needs some kind of better offensive option and much faster startup on chip buff, like 25 frames?
Or even fast enough to get up after ballpunch with a little frame advantage, would mean he would be better offensively.

As it stands, fisticuffs is better for zoning in like 1-2 matchups but that isn't worth loosing the pressure footsies and mobility that a list offers or the damage and zoning capabilities that sd has

In the corner even quan pokes out easy now lol
I doubt we get the old speedbag back, but at least they should put B1 startup at 10 (as they mentioned in the patch, not 11 as it really was) and reduce recovery to -2 or -1 instead of -3. Or even keep the odd hits with -3 recovery and the even ones with -2 or -1, so we get a bit of the old guessing game back.
Also the fistbump needs some changes, like safer activation, more damage or more time enabled.
A new string for him would also be nice, as they did with displacer and master of storms Raiden.

I agree with Derptile that they probably nerfed him with Evo in mind. But he was a fair character. Online it was a bit problematic, ok, but damn, the true game is played offline.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I've been using a fully charged 121 for my combos in a-list in the corner, does more damage and is an easy punish.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
12(1), d1, 12 12 12 12 nut does like 35-37 (at work can't test), whats the point of adding all the rc's?
I honestly didn't know that without the b34 filler it does the same damage, good to know.
I just go for the same combo whatever is the starter, f3, 12, f2SKRC etc...with the cancels it always links to 12[1]

Last edited:

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
12(1), d1, 12 12 12 12 nut does like 35-37 (at work can't test), whats the point of adding all the rc's?
There is no point in this one aside from styling on guys.
I think the best damage in the corner would be 4skrc121, 12(x6) np.
it is possible to get 6 repetitions on 12, but the timing is really tight. The combo should be around 38 or 39 i think.

vcuzzo23

Looking for the MAWWPP Bucket!
Thinking of picking up Johnny as another character. Which variation should I start with.? I wanna use fisticuffs but heard it's his worst variation.

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
Thinking of picking up Johnny as another character. Which variation should I start with.? I wanna use fisticuffs but heard it's his worst variation.
His best variation is A-list, but it requires a lot of execution.. If you feel good with the execution, go with this variation. But I suggest you to start with Stunt Double, which is easier to use, and have a good pressure..

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Cage is a very cool and fun character. If you plan to play serioulsy avoid Fisticuffs at least until the next patch.
If you like to have better zoning options and high damage combos, go for Stunt Double.
If you prefer having cancels and being a footsie monster, go for A-List, but it's the most technical one.

rafaw

#YouSuck
There is no point in this one aside from styling on guys.
I think the best damage in the corner would be 4skrc121, 12(x6) np.
it is possible to get 6 repetitions on 12, but the timing is really tight. The combo should be around 38 or 39 i think.
For punish this isnt viable, how many times did you start a combo with 4? its really rare.
But im using f3rc into 121 full charge d1 1212... this one for a advancing punish(whiff punish and such), or 12rc 121 full charge d1 1212...

kelevra

For punish this isnt viable, how many times did you start a combo with 4? its really rare.
But im using f3rc into 121 full charge d1 1212... this one for a advancing punish(whiff punish and such), or 12rc 121 full charge d1 1212...
In the corner when my opponent woke up and is wide open i Pretty much always go for 4skrc121 because it gives me the best damage. But as stated above its not like a universal punish.
I even Start combos with b34 if the punish window is wide enough.
B34 x2 f4 f24 d1 f3np hits for a whooping 31% midscreen. And on top its really easy to execute.

rafaw

#YouSuck
In the corner when my opponent woke up and is wide open i Pretty much always go for 4skrc121 because it gives me the best damage. But as stated above its not like a universal punish.
I even Start combos with b34 if the punish window is wide enough.
B34 x2 f4 f24 d1 f3np hits for a whooping 31% midscreen. And on top its really easy to execute.
Im using a similar one, F3rc f4 f24 d1 f3np... does 28% i guess, i think that b34 is too slow to punish, and its not advancing like F3, so it will not punish lots of things, but it might have its uses.

What are you using after np? most of the times im using 4skrc 114skrc into 11 mixup/throw.

kelevra

Im using a similar one, F3rc f4 f24 d1 f3np... does 28% i guess, i think that b34 is too slow to punish, and its not advancing like F3, so it will not punish lots of things, but it might have its uses.

What are you using after np? most of the times im using 4skrc 114skrc into 11 mixup/throw.
Depends on the opponent tbh.
I usually Start with a 113 skrc f3 to see if they know the mu. If not i keep using it as long as they dont block it.
If they know the mu i do pretty much the same stuff as you and throw in a 1f2 every once in a while.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I had some games against a wrestler Jax player with my Johnny cage. I thought i should upload it here as it could help some people :D Enjoy

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Some buffs that I thought up for johnny that I think will HELP him , not break him.

F3 and F34 both -3 and cancel-able.
D3 7 frame startup up from 10
Mimic comes out fast enough to bait armor AT LEAST if used in a blockstring.
A less floaty jump is wishful thinking.
114 isn't a joke.

Feedback please.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Some buffs that I thought up for johnny that I think will HELP him , not break him.

F3 and F34 both -3 and cancel-able.
D3 7 frame startup up from 10
Mimic comes out fast enough to bait armor AT LEAST if used in a blockstring.
A less floaty jump is wishful thinking.
114 isn't a joke.

Feedback please.
Let me preface this by saying I actually dont give a fuck if any of this breaks JC. I'm starting to not give a fuck.

1. I like the F34 idea. -3 might be pushing it...maybe -6. I'd love to use F3 more often and be able to hit confirm it. You'd have to change what the 4 does since it's a big knock back move right now. Would it just stagger now?

2. Faster D3 is a no brainer. It's next to pointless at 10.

3. I'm not sure if blockstring safe mimic call is fair at all. Although there's about a million characters that get run cancel moves...Why not Johnny? At the very least I'd like to be able to do a combo that does more than 16% and safely gets mimics out. Any way you slice it, it's a little more difficult to call them then it should be.

4. The floaty jump is fine...how about a Ji1 or Ji2 that's active for more than 4 frames so we can actually use the fucking thing?

5. All hit boxes must be fixed.

If I may request 2 things...

1. Make the 4, if F24 pop up slightly more, and closer to JC so we can do 1,2 after instead of D1. Maybe then the bnb can be about 25% instead of 21%. Johnny's bnb looks like it was never meant to be done the way it's done. Is there any other character that needs a D1 after 2 hits? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

2. Slow down the 3 in 113 just a few frames so there's an actual mixup after 11. LOL. 113 can only be made safe by clones and EX green balls anyway. :joker:

Hawfy

"Martini Shot"
While we're on the subject i would also like these.

1. Slightly/Fully charged Shadow Kick is 1 on block as listed.

2. Ex Shadow Kick hit Mid.

3. Ex Flip Kick 12%

Killer Xinok

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015
What can Johnny do vs grandmaster sub ?
That's a hard matchup, but try to avoid the clone throw using d4, and when you're in the corner and he puts the clone to jail you, you have to footsie with standing 1, which won't be freezed if you touch the clone, and will stop a lot of options from sub zero, such as b2 and throw.. And you can punish ex db1 with 21skrc f34rc f4 f24 d1 f3 np..
Don't throw force balls when you know it can trade with ice ball.. Just do it from far..