What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trufenix

bye felicia
But in the pic posted, we see Stunt Double doing the red move, what gives then?
oh, man. I didn't even see Rath's post. I got no idea what I'm talking about then. Fisticuffs stock continues to decline then, I guess. Shame its the only one with those knuckle dusters.

According to the stream, in Fisticuffs during red health certain specials become the ex version without having to use meter.
A page back Rathalos posted a pic of Cage doing the red health buff in Stunt Double too.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
They only showed it for Cage, but the low health/danger mode is most likely for all characters.

Slymind

Noob
They only showed it for Cage, but the low health/danger mode is most likely for all characters.
If this was an universal mechanic, i really think they would've said something by now, i mean, getting a damage boost all across when in low health seems kind of a big deal.

trufenix

bye felicia
I wish they would do IG style breakdowns instead. I know more about Hisako than I do about D'Vorah and she was announced months ago.
I hate when people post this. There's a big difference between selling one character for 5 bones and a whole game for 70. IG already made their money. NRS can't afford to put Keits in front of the mic for an hour to make bad jokes and drop combos. That won't sell a single copy.

A year and a half ago, when the shoe was on the other foot (Injustice was out and the lion share of the money was made) NRS did long technical streams, you can still find'm on youtube if you need a refresher. That's just the difference between pre and post release marketing.

trufenix

bye felicia
If this was an universal mechanic, i really think they would've said something by now, i mean, getting a damage boost all across when in low health seems kind of a big deal.
I think he's referring to the visual notification (the bar starts flashing) not Johnny's unique buff.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I hate when people post this. There's a big difference between selling one character for 5 bones and a whole game for 70. IG already made their money. NRS can't afford to put Keits in front of the mic for an hour to make bad jokes and drop combos. That won't sell a single copy.

A year and a half ago, when the shoe was on the other foot (Injustice was out and the lion share of the money was made) NRS did long technical streams, you can still find'm on youtube if you need a refresher. That's just the difference between pre and post release marketing.
True, but I just like how they broke the character down. Granted the game is out next month, I would just have like to have seen some in depth stuff, even though I'm not the target audience.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
The worst part is, that cap is from the five scrubs on a couch vid which means it must be completely brain dead to discover.
Even more sad that some of the best footage of the variations came from that "show", and not from the official stream. They do tend to really rush through those Variation breakdowns, and spend a whole lot of time on their introductions and answering questions that no one cares about.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
True, but I just like how they broke the character down. Granted the game is out next month, I would just have like to have seen some in depth stuff, even though I'm not the target audience.
Personally, I think the vaguery is for the better. I certainly want to know more about the game, but look at what happens here EVERY SINGLE TIME some actual competitively relevant information gets shared without someone having a controller in hand to investigate it. The MB Throw 50/50 debacle? Reptiles useless variations? Scorpion's overhead infinite? The death of dash blocking? OMG INTERACTIBLES IN MK?

It always blows up here, then spreads like a virus to all those other sites where they love dragging mks tourney scene through the mud. That loses us potential players and validity. No thanks. I say we can talk nitty gritty on Apr 14th when the lab opens for business.

I'm certain Fisticuff only gives Johnny the fist bump powerup and the infinite string. Red Glow showing up in Stunt Double proves it's across all his variations. Another thing: If Red Glow makes moves ex for free, how come Shadow Kick didn't go full-screen when he was in glow mode when they demo'd Fisticuffs? EX Shadow Kick is supposed to go full screen and have armor, but in the one instance we saw them do a Red Shadow Kick, it didn't go full screen and stopped in front of Raiden.

Since it was brought up earlier, Stunt Double only gives two shadows. The reason why I like this variation more than the other two is because it's similar to Lobo (Sinestro and Green Arrow are similar in this case, as well) and how he has to gain his trait without getting bodied for doing it in neutral. For Lobo to get his two shells, he needs to do a full combo and end with f21 xx trait/21 xx trait. If he uses a shot afterwards then lands a MB grab or any kind of hit, he can easily do this same tactic to load up his second shot and go back to having full shots.

With Johnny Cage, I imagine most combos will go: pop up string, dash up, 114 xx stunt double activation/fisticuff activation to guarantee getting those variations in without getting a projectile to the face or a full screen attack punishing you. Used up a double by throwing a projectile? Land another hit and end in loading up your shadows again. This fixes the "only two shadows?" problem, you are able to replenish your shadows mid-combo.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I really want to bump the MK9 Johnny Cage discussion thread so people post in it then I can tell them to stop posting in the wrong thread.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
My question is why does an obvious frame trapping problematic character as we can now see Johnny Cage will be, get to have a hit confirmation special move like hit ex nut punch. But characters like Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac and Scorpion don't get hit confirmation ex specials and have to commit to their specials that will leave them vulnerable to severe punishment on block. This is why we will see the same five-six characters again at the finals in 2015-2016. NRS really knows how to render their roster to having really good characters and really bad ones. smh, good god.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
My question is why does an obvious frame trapping problematic character as we can now see Johnny Cage will be, get to have a hit confirmation special move like hit ex nut punch. But characters like Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac and Scorpion don't get hit confirmation ex specials and have to commit to their specials that will leave them vulnerable to severe punishment on block. This is why we will see the same five-six characters again at the finals in 2015-2016. NRS really knows how to render their roster to having really good characters and really bad ones. smh, good god.
Its Johnny Cage. He is that Damn good! Don't Hate!

The game isn't even out yet. How do you even know if he has good frame traps or at all? It's not mk9 and chip pressure is going to be less potent.

I'm certain Fisticuff only gives Johnny the fist bump powerup and the infinite string. Red Glow showing up in Stunt Double proves it's across all his variations. Another thing: If Red Glow makes moves ex for free, how come Shadow Kick didn't go full-screen when he was in glow mode when they demo'd Fisticuffs? EX Shadow Kick is supposed to go full screen and have armor, but in the one instance we saw them do a Red Shadow Kick, it didn't go full screen and stopped in front of Raiden.

Since it was brought up earlier, Stunt Double only gives two shadows. The reason why I like this variation more than the other two is because it's similar to Lobo (Sinestro and Green Arrow are similar in this case, as well) and how he has to gain his trait without getting bodied for doing it in neutral. For Lobo to get his two shells, he needs to do a full combo and end with f21 xx trait/21 xx trait. If he uses a shot afterwards then lands a MB grab or any kind of hit, he can easily do this same tactic to load up his second shot and go back to having full shots.

With Johnny Cage, I imagine most combos will go: pop up string, dash up, 114 xx stunt double activation/fisticuff activation to guarantee getting those variations in without getting a projectile to the face or a full screen attack punishing you. Used up a double by throwing a projectile? Land another hit and end in loading up your shadows again. This fixes the "only two shadows?" problem, you are able to replenish your shadows mid-combo.
Dude, don't underestimate the power of the nut punch reset. Nor do we even know about his optimal Enders nor his string.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
That's because Kung Lao and Raiden exist.

Dude, don't underestimate the power of the nut punch reset. Nor do we even know about his optimal Enders nor his string.
Well yeah, the nut-punch reset will be a good option to go towards, but for matchups where Johnny wouldn't want to be up-close because the opponent has really strong reversals or armored specials, we could instead activate doubles and play a more patient game. I could easily see wanting to end in nut-punch versus someone like Ermac and pushing someone like Kotal Kahn away. I only said it's a 114 looking string, it could be B+1 F+1 F+3 when the game comes out, but I'm mainly talking about that string they showed off that had two jabs into a kick that sent the opponent away to allow Johnny to activate whatever buff he felt like.

And we may not know his optimal enders yet, but it seems really easy to combo-craft in our heads what we could do based on what we saw. Example: 11 xx ex nutpunch, 1, 11, 114 xx activation. I'm sure it ain't optimal, but it seems very possible and has the same combo theory as Lobo's trait load enders. If you don't need it, you go into hook charge/nut punch. If you do need it, you go for the load-up instead.

Well yeah, the nut-punch reset will be a good option to go towards, but for matchups where Johnny wouldn't want to be up-close because the opponent has really strong reversals or armored specials, we could instead activate doubles and play a more patient game. I could easily see wanting to end in nut-punch versus someone like Ermac and pushing someone like Kotal Kahn away. I only said it's a 114 looking string, it could be B+1 F+1 F+3 when the game comes out, but I'm mainly talking about that string they showed off that had two jabs into a kick that sent the opponent away to allow Johnny to activate whatever buff he felt like.

And we may not know his optimal enders yet, but it seems really easy to combo-craft in our heads what we could do based on what we saw. Example: 11 xx ex nutpunch, 1, 11, 114 xx activation. I'm sure it ain't optimal, but it seems very possible and has the same combo theory as Lobo's trait load enders. If you don't need it, you go into hook charge/nut punch. If you do need it, you go for the load-up instead.
Think about this, nut punch resets into ex grabs into push back, endless fortexes

Think about this, nut punch resets into ex grabs into push back, endless fortexes
EX Grab seems useless for Johnny because of Nut Punch. Why would I spend meter for the same reset I could get for free in any of the variations? Going from nut punch into more guaranteed advantage seems like a waste too, why not just go into my mix-up/chip set-up? Awesomo said he has an overhead string, so I would make them guess and go into nut-punch again. That would be a literal endless vortex, since EX grabs cost meter.

EX Grab seems useless for Johnny because of Nut Punch. Why would I spend meter for the same reset I could get for free in any of the variations? Going from nut punch into more guaranteed advantage seems like a waste too, why not just go into my mix-up/chip set-up? Awesomo said he has an overhead string, so I would make them guess and go into nut-punch again. That would be a literal endless vortex, since EX grabs cost meter.
Because you can end a combo with nut punch, ex grab them, than still pressure afterwards. The oh isn't going to work everytime. It's simply another mixup. It's an extra 12% plus a free mixup.

Status
Not open for further replies.