What's new

Jax Question and Answer thread

mekane

Noob
I play often against a sub zero player. when I score a knockdown, i'd like to go for a ground pound cancel and bait out his wakeup slide. the problem i have been coming across, though, is that it takes forever to block after i cancel the ground pound!

i cancel the ground pound with a back dash, then crouch, then block, and for some reason jax does not block right away, it takes him a full second before he closes his guard to block. this is annoying! should i dash cancel and then jump over the sliding opponent instead? or is there any other method to bait out this slide with a ground pound cancel, or is it just not a viable move to try to be baiting this slide out?

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Picked up Jax on a whim to play against myt friend and did surprisingly well for how little I know about him. So I took him to the lab and worked out some pressure strings, corner games and what not. Now, when I pick jax my roomie simply ducks and counters my strings with a simple uppercut. With the exception of the f413, which he pokes before the 3 comes out. I can't pressure with this guy if everything I do can be snuffed with uppercut. He knows all my tricks. d+3/4 into overhead smash...uppercut. 12...uppercut. F+41 overhead...uppercut. Dash punch...uppercut. Any good tools out there for pressuring turtles like this?

I do throw out F+41s and end them differently. Sometimes I'll finish the string with the rising knee, sometimes I hit low. Just seems like too little.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
when i use jip 1, 2, 3 and cancel into gotcha grab the opponent can block and i think that its so quick on recovery that if the opponent was standing and blocking they dont have the time to poke out of at least taking chip damage from F4, 1, 3 so could someone test this please....if im wrong then most opponents im facing arent quick enough lol ive been doing this online and 90% of the time the jip 1, 2, 3 connects for 21% damage then they block the gotcha grab and get hit by the F4, 1, 3 for another 14% damage so just from this they are taking 35% damage and if they get wise to that and start automatically blocking low after 1, 2, 3 do the overhead for 21% then 10(overheard) and you can enhance ground pound
Isn't it better to do f4 du4 after the grab is blocked........it is not so easy to block and then ex pound......if the oponent is in the corner with no breaker =GAME OVER

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Picked up Jax on a whim to play against myt friend and did surprisingly well for how little I know about him. So I took him to the lab and worked out some pressure strings, corner games and what not. Now, when I pick jax my roomie simply ducks and counters my strings with a simple uppercut. With the exception of the f413, which he pokes before the 3 comes out. I can't pressure with this guy if everything I do can be snuffed with uppercut. He knows all my tricks. d+3/4 into overhead smash...uppercut. 12...uppercut. F+41 overhead...uppercut. Dash punch...uppercut. Any good tools out there for pressuring turtles like this?

I do throw out F+41s and end them differently. Sometimes I'll finish the string with the rising knee, sometimes I hit low. Just seems like too little.
Don't try to finish all your stings. f4,1 twice into throw works. you could also force them to duck the last part of it. Also try 1,2,3 as well. The oppent might duck after that as well. Yuo could pop them with an overhead smash or f3.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Yeah, actually, between F41 and low pokes I've been doing alright. 12 never works though. Uppercuts snuff all his highs.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Not sure if this works but can you jump cancel the ground pound or is it just dashes? I'm not on the game right now so I can't test it.

I think its only dash cause of "active frames" not fully sure since there is a good difference between sf and mk

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

mekane

Noob
Have you tried dash canceling into jump punch or jump kick. Hell I think overhead smash would work too.
this was good advice, thank you. the jump kick works every time, haven't tried the other options.

however, i think i have changed my approach, and i will add this to the matchup discussion thread instead since its more fitting there.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
do 1,2,gotcha grab or dash punch to stop that. Sometimes just doing 1,2 is fine by itself.
Will that work on a crouching opponent (he's crouching so 12 doesn't make contact which in turn means I can't special cancel)? His main strategy against Jax is crouch and uppercut/poke out of pressure strings. He can uppercut whiffed grab attempts and obviously dash punches. And he does well. I win a majority of the matches because I'm more schooled a player but I can't lay pressure on. At all. Jax is a monster until your opponent learns to block low and poke, it seems. So easy to counter all of his strings.

I can keep throwing out ground pound fake outs after F413 knockdowns but eventually he'll wise up and start waking up with a spear. You can't cancel the GP fast enough to block the spear. It'd be nice if you could go into block frames sooner after a GP cancel but you can't have everything I guess.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
It's all about reading man. If you score a knockdown with F413, cancel gp. You need to read them. If he does a spear Jump punch or kick his ass. Want more? Go for an ex dash punch and stuff his shit. This where you need to start reading your opponent.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
I'm interested in picking up jax and need some tips on how to input some of his commands.

I like f4 overhead smash (du4) but find the input tricky in the heat of combat. Are there any input techniques out there that facilitate this?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Are you playing on a controller? Dpad? Analogue? Stick? What is happening to jax when you attempt the input?

I'm interested in picking up jax and need some tips on how to input some of his commands.

I like f4 overhead smash (du4) but find the input tricky in the heat of combat. Are there any input techniques out there that facilitate this?
Having similar issues myself. In the corner when I go for 1, 1, 1, 12 overhead smash I get a dash punch because I hit dfu4 instead of du4. Sometimes it's an anti air gotcha grab because I hit dbu4. I play on pad. Any tips for this input would be helpful.

Haven't played jax much recently but in the corner you can do 12du4=18% then (ex groundpound)12du4 =22% up to 3 times. Even though it isn't a damaging as the other one, it is much easier and does 80% with 3 bars , which imo is all you need.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Are you playing on a controller? Dpad? Analogue? Stick? What is happening to jax when you attempt the input?
pad man, i can rush down dith d3/d4 then u4 but i can't do it with f4 then input du4, but i can do f4,1, du4. when i do the input the smash du4 just doesn't come out and i'm not sure if i input it too fast or too slow. how fast is the du4 required to be input after an f4?

edit: oh another question, does du4 have to be linked to combos or can you whiff a jab (1) and then do du4?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
it has to be done pretty fast, so I'd assume you're doing it a little too slow. You have to hit the opponent before linking specials too I think.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
For doing overhead smash in the heat of combat..you should sue the dpad when your mixing up. Only use the analog for it when you do it naked.

Yo, i had to take a break from gaming for a minute to take care of the family. Anything new? New tech or threads I should be checking out? I'ma start reading this thread over and move over to the battle field thread.

Oh, and Congrats to OmegaK in getting the Mod position! I seen some of your Jax gameplay, shit is pretty sick!

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Yeah he's right SSJ. Anyways..the only new is Foxy thinking he found something can hurt Jax. Pretty much any character with a low hitbox that blocks Jax's F4 gets a free punish. Check out the videos i2guag posted in the battlefield thread.

Yeah he's right SSJ. Anyways..the only new is Foxy thinking he found something can hurt Jax. Pretty much any character with a low hitbox that blocks Jax's F4 gets a free punish. Check out the videos i2guag posted in the battlefield thread.
Congrats to the both you then! :) im sure the Jax thread is in good hands.

Alright Havik, ill check it out tonight. How did mortal Monday go for you?