What's new

Jax Matchup Discussion Thread

Yeah, maybe in Jax's favour since his hitbox is so ridiculously massive.
Really? I would say its more of a 5-4.5 in Kenshi's favor especially if he's really good at spacing. He can zone pretty hard and if he can push across the screen while you have no meter then your fully dependent on guessing right and eating chip damage to even get in. Of course if you can get the match to start off in your favor and hold your ground then I can see it being a 5-5.

It seems like if Jax gets Kenshi to the corner it's game over. Pressuring Kenshi is much easier, but you always have to watch out for his armor. This is some Jax-Kenshi footage I've found:

LEGEND

YES!
Hey guys I could use some help with the Kitana and Jade mu's (idk why but Jade fucks my Jax up haha).
Jades actually do give Jax problems if you don't know how to wif punish her pokes and use the Dash Punch correctly, F4-Dash Punch is a good tool for punishing wiffed pokes and pushing her to the corner cause the less space she has to run away the better. Eventually she will have to go for a throw or do a Pole Grab, this presents a problem because to deal with grabs you'd want to dash in with an attack to stop her from grabbing you but then she can throw out pole grab to counter that and jumping is never save due to her EX Glow and B2.

main thing you want to do is make her fight you, when she is running away and playing footsies you will have a hard time. Make sure to capitalize on every punish attempt even if it means burning all your meter to do so. She only does damage up close so if you take the lead in any way stop chasing her so she will have to comes to you. Alot of Fake-out forward dashes and D4s buffered with Gotcha grab while chasing her, Make sure you Dash Punch every blocked or wiffed B2 but don't ever use it randomly cause alot of her options in a neutral state at jump distance will beat it out anyway some of which lead to full combos.

Good thing about Jax is that you don't really have to fear EX Gllow when you are pressuring, if pressuring correctly you will be recovering to fast for her to do anything but grab while in glow. I guess that about sums it up, Let me know if you need more help
-

Kitana is a chase to the corner, once the Kitana player realizes this they will have to play footsies. You really only need to know the spacing on F21 and 21 so you can punish their wiff and/or interrupt them, her D1 gets blown up by F4-Gotcha so make sure you capitalize on that

i don't know what else to say, alot of just knowing you opponent and making goo reads to push her closer to the corner. oh, and Use EX Dash punch on Square wave to bring her back in the direction of the corner

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Jades actually do give Jax problems if you don't know how to wif punish her pokes and use the Dash Punch correctly, F4-Dash Punch is a good tool for punishing wiffed pokes and pushing her to the corner cause the less space she has to run away the better. Eventually she will have to go for a throw or do a Pole Grab, this presents a problem because to deal with grabs you'd want to dash in with an attack to stop her from grabbing you but then she can throw out pole grab to counter that and jumping is never save due to her EX Glow and B2.

main thing you want to do is make her fight you, when she is running away and playing footsies you will have a hard time. Make sure to capitalize on every punish attempt even if it means burning all your meter to do so. She only does damage up close so if you take the lead in any way stop chasing her so she will have to comes to you. Alot of Fake-out forward dashes and D4s buffered with Gotcha grab while chasing her, Make sure you Dash Punch every blocked or wiffed B2 but don't ever use it randomly cause alot of her options in a neutral state at jump distance will beat it out anyway some of which lead to full combos.

Good thing about Jax is that you don't really have to fear EX Gllow when you are pressuring, if pressuring correctly you will be recovering to fast for her to do anything but grab while in glow. I guess that about sums it up, Let me know if you need more help
-

Kitana is a chase to the corner, once the Kitana player realizes this they will have to play footsies. You really only need to know the spacing on F21 and 21 so you can punish their wiff and/or interrupt them, her D1 gets blown up by F4-Gotcha so make sure you capitalize on that

i don't know what else to say, alot of just knowing you opponent and making goo reads to push her closer to the corner. oh, and Use EX Dash punch on Square wave to bring her back in the direction of the corner
Thanks man, really appreciate the tips. :)

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
how jax does vs lao , raiden , smoke , millena ? i play only freddy but i think about picking him up for these MUs

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
how jax does vs lao , raiden , smoke , millena ? i play only freddy but i think about picking him up for these MUs
Pretty well against all of them really. I think that Lao, Raiden, and Smoke are 5-5's and Mileena is a 6-4 imho.

LEGEND

YES!
Lao is a losing MU
Mileena is even
Raiden is probably even
Jax beats smoke (yes i know waffles just 3-0ed Cdjr)

Pretty well against all of them really. I think that Lao, Raiden, and Smoke are 5-5's and Mileena is a 6-4 imho.
when you say mileena is 6-4 do you mean its in Jax's favor? Cause i can assure you its either even or in Milly's favor

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lao is a losing MU
Mileena is even
Raiden is probably even
Jax beats smoke (yes i know waffles just 3-0ed Cdjr)

when you say mileena is 6-4 do you mean its in Jax's favor? Cause i can assure you its either even or in Milly's favor
I do mean jax's favor, it could be because pig doesn't know the mu very well, but my jax did very well against his mileena. Also, why is KL bad? Trust me I am by no means a jax mu expert so i am open to opinions, Im just going off of what i have played.

LEGEND

YES!
I do mean jax's favor, it could be because pig doesn't know the mu very well, but my jax did very well against his mileena. Also, why is KL bad? Trust me I am by no means a jax mu expert so i am open to opinions, Im just going off of what i have played.
spin interruptions, Lao's mobility, counters to GP setups, counters position control (like corner, again cause of his mobility) Spin doesn't get punished very hard, hard for jax to build meter, Lao has a low hitbox, Lowhat Only gets 17% punish on block without meter Ect Ect

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
spin interruptions, Lao's mobility, counters to GP setups, counters position control (like corner, again cause of his mobility) Spin doesn't get punished very hard, hard for jax to build meter, Lao has a low hitbox, Lowhat Only gets 17% punish on block without meter Ect Ect
I can definitely see that :)

LEGEND

YES!
LETHAL LEGEND MasterHavik EGP_TYRANT Any advice on how to deal with Freddy? I can't get in to save my life, and generally he just teles when I do finally get there.
its a tough MU for sure. You can't use Dash punch unless you Ex it to armor through a move since NMS will duck under it every time, which means getting in will take alot of patience. Once you get in you can do some serious damage vs Freddy's Enormous hitbox and if he keeps getting away from ya you will eventually have a chance at sticking him in the corner

like i said, its tough. But with enough practice and more patience then Jax normally requires the MU will get alittle easier

LEGEND

YES!
what is the best way to play Jax against Johny cage???
defensively

You have to rely on wiff punishing, Armored counters, Throw setups and smart use of zoning. Pressuring cage is too dangerous
-
Things like Canceling GPs in D3, Armoring through Cage's projectiles, Utilizing D1-Gotch to counter pressure, and Making cage wiff F3s n pokes so you can punish/Send him fullscreen again are all crucial. You basically have to be extremely on point to win this MU

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
defensively

You have to rely on wiff punishing, Armored counters, Throw setups and smart use of zoning. Pressuring cage is too dangerous
-
Things like Canceling GPs in D3, Armoring through Cage's projectiles, Utilizing D1-Gotch to counter pressure, and Making cage wiff F3s n pokes so you can punish/Send him fullscreen again are all crucial. You basically have to be extremely on point to win this MU
thanks for the help lethal

Durango

Enhancer
How is Jax against Sheeva?

-Stomp mixups hard to avoid
-Fireball beats your own and does more damage on trade
-Jump-ins get beat with armor grabs

I fought a jumper. Couldn't get ahold of him no matter what I did. Jumped around, stayed in the back, spammed fireballs, and teleports. F4 combos were doing nothing because he kept jumping. Felt like a 7-3 matchup.

Espio

Kokomo
How is Jax against Sheeva?

-Stomp mixups hard to avoid
-Fireball beats your own and does more damage on trade
-Jump-ins get beat with armor grabs

I fought a jumper. Couldn't get ahold of him no matter what I did. Jumped around, stayed in the back, spammed fireballs, and teleports. F4 combos were doing nothing because he kept jumping. Felt like a 7-3 matchup.

It's the opposite...if anybody loses 3-7 in that match up, it's Sheeva. All of your pressure strings work on Sheeva's hitbox and Jax can outzone her pretty handily with wave and ground pounds. He essentially beats her up close and far away too. Jax doesn't need to jump nearly as much as Sheeva does to get her offense going and on top of that Jax has all the tools to blow up jump ins and pressure with his safe armor and anti-air grab.

Stomp can be blown up with neutral jump punch into combo or even anti-air grab. The only one that cannot be neutral jump punched is the front landing telestomp.

If you're getting blown up by armored grabs and can't get anything going to get in on Sheeva you're getting outspaced and outplayed. Her keep out is not that great and fireballs are very reactable to with jump over into full combo and of course there's Jax's brutal corner pressure too that she has a hard time dealing with in general.