What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Picking up Jax, starting on Heavy Weapons. I've seen lots of each variation though, could someone tell me what is appealing about Pumped Up and Wrestler? I can't really find much match footage of either.

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Picking up Jax, starting on Heavy Weapons. I've seen lots of each variation though, could someone tell me what is appealing about Pumped Up and Wrestler? I can't really find much match footage of either.
Pumped Up I use primarily for characters I can zone out. Delayed fireballs to catch jumps and ground pounds/IAGP to catch people waiting for the next projectile. His AA EX gotcha does 22 however the gotcha on block is -9 I believe so his pressure with gotcha becomes worse in the variation so I stick to being defensive.

Wrestler and Heavy weapons play better up close but in different ways, with HW you have cancels to make your midscreen lows/overheads easier to connect (especially on females) and you can make strings safe by run canceling the rocket and blocking. Wrestler's pressure comes less from run cancel conditioning and confirming to plasma and tick throw conditioning. You can gotcha in this variation on block just like HW being its -4 so you can mix between tick throws, plasma (can be ducked and full combo punished, easier to punish from certain strings/normals) and gotcha. These options can be armored through however in wrestler if you commit to a unsafe string whereas HW can always cancel and make things safe and bait the reversals.

Reactions: Kyu

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
For Quad Grab is it possible to do Switch Stance+ Interactable macros for the 1+2+3+4 part? Since Switch Stance is 3+4 and Interactable is 1+2
I have tried it many tinmes but never pulled it off so i huess its not possible

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
iOS Jaz the Skarlet and Zod of this game?

Everyone knows their top tier but will prolly never win a major?

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
I have two questions. My first is, is playing HW and W worth it when I already play PU? Also, what are the GUARANTEED ground pound setups in pumped up?

Osagri

T
I have two questions. My first is, is playing HW and W worth it when I already play PU? Also, what are the GUARANTEED ground pound setups in pumped up?
They are. Hw has rly good pressure coz rocketcancels and wrestler has the best corner damage and tick-throws

ThePunisher1

Montruckin'
Is it just me or does Jax eat a lot of D2? Seems almost impossible to punish people with a string starting with 1 or 2 if the opponent just ducks and uppercuts you.

Last edited:

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
He does if your opponent knows what he's doing. But a punish is a punish, if there are grossly negative they can't duck. Also mix up with b12 in your pressure.

Manticore

Jax corner combos, I need help. I came up with a few but they are tricky to pull off. With wrestler.
B34xbf2d,d1,11,b34xexdb1,11,12xdbf1b 51% (I can't get the timing right on this one, the last part)

Wrestler has a better pressure than the other variations Who have to deal with getting poked or uppercuted out of f21, 11 pressure, Wrestler can do f21 d12 quad grab for a tick throw, d1 is 7 frames and will catch any counter poke attempt (unless ur opponent is kotal kahn , shinnok or lackey F/T ) and will make any high string of the opponent whiff. Once the opponent respects that option and tries to jump out of d12 grab u can bait that with d12 gotcha grab to catch them in the air.

Jax corner combos, I need help. I came up with a few but they are tricky to pull off. With wrestler.
B34xbf2d,d1,11,b34xexdb1,11,12xdbf1b 51% (I can't get the timing right on this one, the last part)
thats waaay to complicated ^^ u just do b34~bf2d~11~b34~exdb1~12~dbf1 to get the second hit of the command grab u need to hit 2 right when their back hits the floor

Osagri

Wrestler has a better pressure than the other variations Who have to deal with getting poked or uppercuted out of f21, 11 pressure, Wrestler can do f21 d12 quad grab for a tick throw, d1 is 7 frames and will catch any counter poke attempt (unless ur opponent is kotal kahn , shinnok or lackey F/T ) and will make any high string of the opponent whiff. Once the opponent respects that option and tries to jump out of d12 grab u can bait that with d12 gotcha grab to catch them in the air.
U can not do tick-throw after f21 am i right

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
HW IMO is slighlty ahead of Wrestler using pressure in a more safe way. With the cancels making unsafe strings and normals you have the ability to use these strings and bait reversals or go into gotcha pressure, using your overheads and lows as part of reads. Wrestler has the tick throws but when we have the ability to frame trap resulting in + frames or go for overheads and lows when there expecting fast pokes I prefer the ability to play it safer up close.

HW IMO is slighlty ahead of Wrestler using pressure in a more safe way. With the cancels making unsafe strings and normals you have the ability to use these strings and bait reversals or go into gotcha pressure, using your overheads and lows as part of reads. Wrestler has the tick throws but when we have the ability to frame trap resulting in + frames or go for overheads and lows when there expecting fast pokes I prefer the ability to play it safer up close.
HW pressure relies on the opponent not pokeing or armoring through the cancels since its not + whatsoever, i agree u can make unsafe string safe(r) but so does canceling any unsafe string into gotcha grab. Wrestler not only has tons of tick throws but also a unique tick throw/Overhead/low mixup with 12d3/123 on top of 111/11 throw mixup. After any Rocket cancel u can bait a poke with armor but so can u with f2 or f21. IF the rocket cancels where plus i would 100% agree with u but sadly they aren't.

Manticore

I don't think you've played against really good opponents before. d1d2 into the cmd grab has 2 holes where your opponent can armor through. Between d1 and d2, and d2 and the tic throw. You can't rely on this. To be really good at Jax you need to bait pokes, and grab or pressure right after

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
HW pressure relies on the opponent not pokeing or armoring through the cancels since its not + whatsoever, i agree u can make unsafe string safe(r) but so does canceling any unsafe string into gotcha grab. Wrestler not only has tons of tick throws but also a unique tick throw/Overhead/low mixup with 12d3/123 on top of 111/11 throw mixup. After any Rocket cancel u can bait a poke with armor but so can u with f2 or f21. IF the rocket cancels where plus i would 100% agree with u but sadly they aren't.
They can poke and I can finish in gotcha but with a well timed rocket cancel I can bait out all armored reversals in the game and this is the key difference. In wrestler as soon as 123 comes out you're not able to counter the opponent just reversing you every time. If the rocket cancels were plus HW would be broken but his cancels allow us to confirm into better midscreen conversions as there main goal. Like @Manticore said above wrestler has to many gaps for my liking and I prefer to play as little risk high reward as possible.

I think HW is slightly better than Wrestler because of the hit confirming abilities. Most of his main strings on hit can be hit confirmed into full combos pushing the opponent into the corner. The rocket is also a decent anti zoning tool.

They can poke and I can finish in gotcha but with a well timed rocket cancel I can bait out all armored reversals in the game and this is the key difference. In wrestler as soon as 123 comes out you're not able to counter the opponent just reversing you every time. If the rocket cancels were plus HW would be broken but his cancels allow us to confirm into better midscreen conversions as there main goal. Like @Manticore said above wrestler has to many gaps for my liking and I prefer to play as little risk high reward as possible.
i meant 124 not 123 cuz of the tick throw but well its all bout preference.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Are people still using d1d2? That string literally doesn't work. The d1 can hit and they can still block the d2, leaving you at -7. It is literally a broken string, as the hits don't...um...string together.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Are people still using d1d2? That string literally doesn't work. The d1 can hit and they can still block the d2, leaving you at -7. It is literally a broken string, as the hits don't...um...string together.
I use it primarily as a way to add variety to my pressure options i.e. f21, 11, 11, b12, d1d2. I know it is -8 on block but it seems much harder to punish.