What's new

Question - Reptile Is it possible to fuzzy guard reptiles overhead on wakeup?

1st post, so i better make it count with pertinent inquiries.

Anyway. His overhead is 11 frames, and his fastest low is 9 frames. I repeatedly tried fuzzy guarding his low and high mixup after sweep by using pre-recorded motions. It's extremely tight, but is it possible? And if it isn't please give me an in-depth explanation as to why it isn't, seeing as i'm relatively new to mk.

- Thanks.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Not even close. People claim they can fuzzy things that are like 19 frames but it has been tested and when it comes down to it anything below 20 frames is impossible to fuzzy guard, assuming the player doesnt read it first.

If two moves have different ranges, i.e one reaches farther than the other, some players will always block the way that farther one is(low or Overhead) and then if they get close enough and see the other low/OH they will block low/OH. That however is technically speaking a read, not a reaction.

You could always backdash or tech roll on wakeup though, that could help.

Ok. So i have to develop a good sense of every character's strings and block accordingly? Accept that everything is a 50/50? That's harsh.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Not even close. People claim they can fuzzy things that are like 19 frames but it has been tested and when it comes down to it anything below 20 frames is impossible to fuzzy guard, assuming the player doesnt read it first.
Fuzzy guarding in the game is kind of a pain. Makes fighting Scorpian a bit of an annoyance.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
If I may suggest, his 9f low you're talking about is D3 I assume. D3, as well as all crouching normals in the game doesn't link to combos. If you read a D3 into B2, just take the small damage from D3 and block B2. Though that leaves Reptile at +1 and is in good range for his F21 or straight up Elbow Dash you on a hard read.

A better suggestion would be to block the D3 itself, leaving Reptile at -2 at point blank range. Depending on the match-up, this could be a nightmare for Reptile as his fastest normal is 9f. So you're free to counter-poke and start your offense.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Ok. So i have to develop a good sense of every character's strings and block accordingly? Accept that everything is a 50/50? That's harsh.
Most 50/50s can be backdashed or armored through.

For example, Sonya has an overhead and low string that lead into military stance which again has an overhead and low option. However, her overhead string has a frame gap that can be backdashed after the first hit, and anytime she goes into military stance you can armor and it will beat both of her overhead and low options.

delbuster

hungry
bleh, can't believe fuzzy has been assigned a third meaning. i just use the term switch block.

a 2f difference is not enough to feasibly switch block since they can just delay the slower one by 2 frames and it's completely unreactable. for a set of low/overheads like scorpion which have a larger difference in startup, it's a little more feasible to do it, but still have to react to them doing something to initiate the switch block rather than let them delay their faster option a lot.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

If two moves have different ranges, i.e one reaches farther than the other, some players will always block the way that farther one is(low or Overhead) and then if they get close enough and see the other low/OH they will block low/OH. That however is technically speaking a read, not a reaction.

You could always backdash or tech roll on wakeup though, that could help.
That's not true if it is done after a jump in

Hitoshura

Head Cage
What is your take on fuzzy guarding? any different than zoidberg's?
Not really. I feel it's really tight. It's difficult to get a grasp on when it comes to high/low normals that are rather fast, hence why I stated fighting Scorpian can be somewhat bothersome.

Ok so after playing a bit i realized that fuzzy guarding the first hit in a string on wakeup is impossible. BUT, fuzzying the first hit in a string after a blocked jump in, depending on the frame gap between the high low normal is fairly consistent. I've also realized defense in this game is VERY crucial, and remembering certain block patterns against particular characters is a bonus. Requires some memory retention though. Very different from street fighter(can i mention this game here? lol).

Thanks for the tips guys.