What's new

General/Other - Ermac Is Ermac going to be Easy-mac yet again ?

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Ermac in MK9 got the nick name Easy-mac from fans because of how easy he was to pick up and learn. Mastering any character is a whole different thing and I'm not gonna get into that. But Ermac was certainly very easy to learn, probably the easiest in the cast. He was a zoner, which is an easier concept than rushdown, to begin with. His specials were uncomplicated and so were his strings. His tele slam was a great launcher that led to damaging and easy to perform BnB combos. Some of his fans (I am one myself) of course didn't appreciate the Easy-mac name but in truth the fact that he was easy to pick up served an important function of easing new players into the game. I believe it is also part of the reason why Ermac's popularity has grown so much in recent years.

What about Ermac in MKX ? What are your first impressions ? Forget about tier. Is he gonna be easy to learn ? Should he be ? If yes or no then which variations ? His 3 variations are mystic, spectral, and master of souls. Please discuss. I'm very interested to know what people think about this matter.

The mystic variation at least looks tailored to be easy. It doesn't give you a lot of extra stuff but he gets his force push, which is his main zoning tool. It also leaves the opponent hanging in tele slam which gives you lots of combo options. And I think his ex force push takes meter away from opponent. This variation comes closest to his MK9 game.

Spectral is based on the concept of flying, and he has unique specials while flying. It's kinda hard to judge but I don't think it'll be particularly easy to be honest. Actually it could be quite hard.

Master of souls doesn't look very complicated. Wall out (or whatever it is) seems like it could be used very creatively (and perhaps annoyingly) but otherwise this variation seems average to me in terms of difficulty.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I thought he was given the nickname EZ-mac because of his state in vanilla mk9? You know, with a tkp that had less startup and recovery, and a f4 that gave enough hitstun to land a b2? I'm a little fuzzy on the details as the game was patched before I fully took advantage of the f4 shenanigans so if someone sees that I'm incorrect go ahead and let me know.

callMEcrazy

Anyone who called him easy mac didnt do double teleport combos.
Double tele combos were not an essential part of his game and single tele combos alone could do 40%+ damage. Only the very best could land double tele combos consistently. I'm not taking about advanced gameplay here.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Double tele combos were not an essential part of his game and single tele combos alone could do 40%+ damage. Only the very best could land double tele combos consistently. I'm not taking about advanced gameplay here.
Real talk, the ezmac stuff was created by a bunch of online players who couldnt deal with his sub par zoning. Ermac was good but he was mid tier and in no way easy to play at a high level.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Real talk, the ezmac stuff was created by a bunch of online players who couldnt deal with his sub par zoning. Ermac was good but he was mid tier and in no way easy to play at a high level.
Quoted for Truth

anybody that called him EZmac in later years just didnt know how to deal with him. Ermac was nerfed and restricted to fuck.
Maybe he'll be OP when MKX comes out but can't know for sure. In fact even when the game comes out, ppl are going to keep discovering stuff for a while before we can conclusively say that a particular aspect needs tweaking.

callMEcrazy

Again, for the third time, I'm not talking about high level play at all. I'm talking about beginners actually. If you properly read the first para of my OP you should get that.

I tried out a bunch of characters when I was just starting with MK9 including Quan, Ermac, Kang, Kitana, Scorp, Sek, etc. Ermac certainly came out winner in that easiest fighter competition.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Again, for the third time, I'm not talking about high level play at all. I'm talking about beginners actually. If you properly read the first para of my OP you should get that.

I tried out a bunch of characters when I was just starting with MK9 including Quan, Ermac, Kang, Kitana, Scorp, Sek, etc. Ermac certainly came out winner in that easiest fighter competition.
yea Ermac might be easy to pick up or not. Looking at the gameplay, honestly none of them look very easy to pick up (for me at least)

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Tbh I we are talking in general, Dave is right, in most games zoning requires knowledge of spacing that you just won't find on in newer player's arsenal. With what we know about MKX, chances are that as a zoner you may end up suffering after making one wrong read unless you have powerful get away for "free" card (ignoring the fact that NRS have a history, if limited, of creating get in for free moves). That said, we don't really know a lot and we don't know how it will turn out in practice - on launch, after 6 months, after a year.

On topic: I'd say it's pretty early to tell what will be easy and what isn't. Say, your example addresses telepush and how it may make zoning easier. Thing is, if it's minus enough on block, you may end up being blown up unless you're pretty good with understand range allowances for checking your opponent with that. Level of commitment, as well as other properties, make considerable differences between easy and hard to use stuff.

I can agree that flying kit may end up being pretty hard though.

Dave's right. Zoning is often fucking hard. Tools are specific and you rarely get a "lol get off me" move if they get in.

As for Ermac, he still doesn't have a reversal from anything i've seen and they've broken his kit up, so who the fuck knows. He seems a lot more like a hybrid of long range zoning mixups with float being his "all modes" move.

Honestly people will always bitch, and MK9 mac got extra hate just because the lag was awful.

Edit-
Down down fucking up for flight canceling? oh fuuuuuck that.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The OP is referring to like..casual play and at the start of a game's life. In that sense zoning appears "stronger" because people haven't fully explored the game and found all the ways to bypass zoning (crying for patches :DOGE, leveling up, etc.)

I will also concur and say that Dave is right as the game ages.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
You don't need one to talk about impressions but suit yourself.
Just seems like an odd question when we don't have a movelist or know how movement and footsie and punishing works just saying bruh. He looks f ing cool though I can say that much

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Edit-
Down down fucking up for flight canceling? oh fuuuuuck that.
Yeah, that was the input shown on the quick movelist during pauses, and you can see the devs doing down-down really fast before levitating.

That's going to be pretty difficult to do so fast, unless you play stick or hitbox. Execution monsters will probably gravitate to Spectral if he's good, which wouldn't surprise me.

callMEcrazy

Just seems like an odd question when we don't have a movelist or know how movement and footsie and punishing works just saying bruh. He looks f ing cool though I can say that much
Of course anything we're talking about right now is pure speculation. That goes without saying. Doesn't mean we can't speculate. That's a big part of what we do in forums anyway.

Ermac always looks cool as fuck. He looked great in MKD and then again in MK9. Even that fan made design (if you have seen that) was great. I expected nothing less in MKX.