What's new

Injustice Arcade Machine Project...Thoughts?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
It looks great! I have the know how to do this too, just not the dough or the space. I'm jealous! Do you have any preemptive plans for a Mortal Kombat X marquee?

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
TBH, I think the sides could be a lot better. The picture itself looks distorted and unsuitable. Harley looks stretched or squeezed or something. Same with Batman. The button and title marquees look tight though.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Hey @YourMKArcadeSource, since you have worked with so many of the MK style cabinets, do you think you could make a blueprint of the control panel housing and the parts needed to put it together (hinges, etc)? I used to have an old KI2 one and no longer have it. I'd like to make one up.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Hey @YourMKArcadeSource, since you have worked with so many of the MK style cabinets, do you think you could make a blueprint of the control panel housing and the parts needed to put it together (hinges, etc)? I used to have an old KI2 one and no longer have it. I'd like to make one up.
Let me see what I can do. The manual has part numbers for all the hardware, etc but the dimensions for the CP are on Jakobud. They are for MK1, but ALL the Midway cabs have the exact same control panel...

www.jakobud.com/

YourMKArcadeSource

It looks great! I have the know how to do this too, just not the dough or the space. I'm jealous! Do you have any preemptive plans for a Mortal Kombat X marquee?
Not quite yet. I DO plan on making a cabinet for it, just like this one and my MK9. Already have a side art sketch made up but it will most likely change as new art becomes available.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

Not quite yet. I DO plan on making a cabinet for it, just like this one and my MK9. Already have a side art sketch made up but it will most likely change as new art becomes available.

Can't wait!

Edit: Were you every interviewed for one of those classic arcade movies (King of Kong/Chasing Ghosts) or one of the Dwayne Richard documentaries? If your sig is your real picture, you look painfully familiar....

Ray'sGoodLiquor

Nope. I'm a nobody.
Well, you certainly found your niche here. Those of us that were are for the arcade days absolutely appreciate your work. I've talked about making a MAME cabinet for years, but now I really wanna do something for MK. Like I said, we'll see how things look next year. Maybe even make an attempt at a table top...

YourMKArcadeSource

Well, you certainly found your niche here. Those of us that were are for the arcade days absolutely appreciate your work. I've talked about making a MAME cabinet for years, but now I really wanna do something for MK. Like I said, we'll see how things look next year. Maybe even make an attempt at a table top...

Thanks! Hey, now there's an idea!

YourMKArcadeSource

Just finished getting the cabinet all wired up and ready to go. I used a standard arcade switching power supply this time instead of AC/DC adapters like in my MK9 to power the coin door lights and the video converter. The +5vdc is for the converter and the -5vdc is for the coin door lights. Everything is tested and works great. I need to wire up the control panel and that will be it! Stay tuned for live demonstration at that time...

YourMKArcadeSource

@YourMKArcadeSource Did the original MK cabs have the dust washers under the plexi-glass also? I've seen them both ways.
Well, MK1 didn't come with plexi from the factory. MK2 and up did. I've actually never seen original sticks with the dust washers on top of the plexi/control panel. The wood underneath is routed out to accommodate the washer.

YourMKArcadeSource

So I lucked out with the controls. Most of you know that I bought and gutted two MK Fight Sticks that I planned on using for the MK9 project but it turned out they didn't work for the PS2 games. I decided to give them a try in the Injustice cabinet and...they work great! I'm sure some of you were wondering how I was going to interface the controls, so that's what I did. Since I'm only using this cab for Injustice, they'll work out fine.

I also decided to install a "PS" button on top of the cabinet just back from the top marquee edge. This way, I can keep the control panel looking very much like a real arcade setup without an unnecessary button. I installed the PS button and the Select button on the control panel for the MK9 because they balanced each other. With the Injustice, since I really only needed one PS button, I installed it "out of sight" so I could use it when I needed to and not distract from the look of the control panel. I'll show it off in action when I make a "live" video. I'm about to start work on some bezel art.

Until then, here is the cabinet installed in the row...