What's new

In light of recent EGL Blowup - Top 5 Tournament BlowUps

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

IMO These are historically the top 5 tournament blow ups

Discuss

1. VXG
- advertised as the new EVO by many
- affiliated w Triforce (always a major red flag in any business)
-huge marketing campaign on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, fgc sites
- unrealistic pot bonus guarantees
- promises of DA BEECH & Nigiri
- weird promises of women everywhere (this was always so weird to me)

What actually happened:

terrible entry #s
Poorly organized tourney
rigged brackets
no players were paid (maybe 1 was)
Lies about sponsors and money
Wong tweeted he wish he never went
Nigiri did show up
There was a beach

2. Revelations
- Was originally seen as well organIzed
-huge payouts guaranteed
- potential new WC Major that was needed to even the amount of majors EC has

What actually happened:
- djt & MIT still checking the mailbox for that promised money
-poorly organized
-owner and TO found to be a major crook in everything he touches

3. EpicGL (EGL)
-pretentious promises in the original EGL thread
-big $$$ guaranteed
-pro stream
- beginning of a great thing promised

What actually happened?
- chest ego pumping when originally questioned about $$$
-terrible stream
-apparently no payouts or bonus
-see top of this post

4. Devastation
- when first advertised, was talked about as the most amazing new event
-great pot bonuses promised
-huge venue
-new Wc major
-known forces in the fgc were the TOs

What actually happened:
Great stream
Great tourney for viewers
Great #s
But they were IMO the first to make the biggest "oopsie" ever by not having contracts for these supposed sponsors
Apparently last min sponsors backed out and there went the $$$ but to their credit I have heard all have been paid out of pocket

5. Mlg Anaheim 2014
- return of mlg to fgc
- great money promised
- rejuvenated competitive attitude in injustice
- huge production promised
- esports

What actually happened:
I had a hard time putting this on the list because the tournament did pay out, was well attended but the competitors were treated like lab rates. Poorly organized, only top3 payout and the stream was to this point the most historical piss poor delivery ever in the history of all media.

Other people/events you can never trust

Triforce affiliated anything
Rolando from VXG

Now to shed light on events and TOs you can trust.

ESL

EVO

Valle

Vandy

CB

Ego Compton

First attack

Frosty

Ceojebailey

Any WB sponsored pot

Bige

Larry shin Blanka

TheHadou & Keits

Shock

Dtn

Tcw @Mr Aquaman

Neorussel

Nwm

Sorry if I left some out but wanted people to also know which events they can trust going forward.

Agree w the list?

Sorry for any typos - iPhone

Last edited:

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. That rule of thumb applies. Realistically consider what a company has to gain from what they're providing. If it makes no business sense then it's probably horseshit. Verizon putting in that much money for a small event never made any sense.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
How much does Epic Gaming League have to do with Epic Gaming Lounge? Were they the TO's for this event? If so, that's a big risk to their business to promise a big payout and not deliver.

Pig Of The Hut

How much does Epic Gaming League have to do with Epic Gaming Lounge? Were they the TO's for this event? If so, that's a big risk to their business to promise a big payout and not deliver.
tX players can probably help w this answer

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mostly correct and agreeable list.

I will say about VXG I believe all players got 1/3 of their payout in cash on the spot. So even though I still didn't get $2k from them, I did walk away with $1k in pocket which was the highest prize pool in 2013 for MK9 still; prize pools were so low 2 years ago with no esports! Also, I found everything not related to the tournament to be awesome, it was actually a great vacation. I did like First Attack this year more though, so if someone is actually looking to go to the Caribbean and a tournament at the same time then go to FA in Puerto Rico, I highly recommend it.

One last thing, the first person that comes to mind for that list of reliable TOs is Vandy, the guy who runs KIT. Started humbly and his signature major has been growing steadily and organically for a few years now. Before it has been on the cusp of turning into a real big major, and I predict this year to be the real breakout for KIT as a huge major.

Pig Of The Hut

Mostly correct and agreeable list.

I will say about VXG I believe all players got 1/3 of their payout in cash on the spot. So even though I still didn't get $2k from them, I did walk away with $1k in pocket which was the highest prize pool in 2013 for MK9 still; prize pools were so low 2 years ago with no esports! Also, I found everything not related to the tournament to be awesome, it was actually a great vacation. I did like First Attack this year more though, so if someone is actually looking to go to the Caribbean and a tournament at the same time then go to FA in Puerto Rico, I highly recommend it.

One last thing, the first person that comes to mind for that list of reliable TOs is Vandy, the guy who runs KIT. Started humbly and his signature major has been growing steadily and organically for a few years now. Before it has been on the cusp of turning into a real big major, and I predict this year to be the real breakout for KIT as a huge major.
Ouch can't believe I let those two out

Added

I$AAC

Noob
Can a tourney still be considered a blowup if say the tourney never happened? If so I got one for ya that would make the list.