What's new

Combo List - Shinnok Impostor Shinnok Mimicry combo/vortex options Megathread. Will be updated regularly.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I bet the overhead is still useful. Just not in a vortex situation. It'll be more about conditioning them to block low and then bringing it out when it isn't on their mind because I'm pretty sure it's not slow enough that they can block it on reaction without looking for it. Now we need to think about what we want to do after combos. My personal opinion is we do as much damage as possible into mimicry then go for chip damage or throws- we also still have the new vortex if we really need to make up some health.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yeah honestly if you are waiting to block it and only looking for the 50 50 then maybe it's blockable on reaction, but if we condition well enough we should be able to hit it no problem.
Yeah it's always a 33/33/33 with grab + you can go for teleport mixup to keep them on their toes. Also 18 frames is not SUPER reactable. It will catch people at times.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
It would be best to remove the "vortex options" part of the thread title just to avoid any kind of confusion/misinformation.

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
It would be best to remove the "vortex options" part of the thread title just to avoid any kind of confusion/misinformation.
Their is no misinformation..
Vortex: A situation where one player is continually able to force their opponent to make an unfavorable guess out of a combo or setup, resulting in the opponent getting caught in the same setup all over again. Usually performed after a reset or a hard knockdown and the opponent is forced to guess where to block on their wake up; High, Low, Left or Right

Throws in this game are true 50/50's which they have to mash buttons to get out of. Then you've got your Low/Overhead mixup. It is a vortex by definition. Worst case scenario is they block your overhead and you are at -11. Everything else is safe/or plus on block. 1 of 6 options are unfavorable for Shinnok if they guess correctly.

So no it would not be best to remove anything from the title of this thread...

Also after trying out in offline match the "tricky portal xx NJP /tricky portal into nothing, f4" mix up, I came to a conclusion that it is viable, but again after you had hit them with NJP if you end it back into Mimicry, you can NOT start a combo off of NJP again from the mimicry blockstun ( it will result in a splat), so you are only left with a low and an 18 frame overhead option, throw, chip:/

Shamwow0w0w

Also after trying out in offline match the "tricky portal xx NJP /tricky portal into nothing, f4" mix up, I came to a conclusion that it is viable, but again after you had hit them with NJP if you end it back into Mimicry, you can NOT start a combo off of NJP again from the mimicry blockstun ( it will result in a splat), so you are only left with a low and an 18 frame overhead option, throw, chip:/
Yup. Exactly why I posted:

Using a neutral jump punch in your combo pre Mimicry will nullify the Mimicry -> instant air teleport -> neutral jump punch/F4 mixup since the neutral jump punch splats if it hits twice in a row before recovering from Mimicry's hit stun

It's been in the OP since the very first second of this thread.

Yup. Exactly why I posted:

Using a neutral jump punch in your combo pre Mimicry will nullify the Mimicry -> instant air teleport -> neutral jump punch/F4 mixup since the neutral jump punch splats if it hits twice in a row before recovering from Mimicry's hit stun

It's been in the OP since the very first second of this thread.
I am not talking about not using it in the initial combo into mimicry - that is understood! I am just saying that after NJP is used, it is no longer an option and vortex ends there, you haven't stated that in the op. B3 /f4 can be fuzzied and you can't do NJP, so only a throw and chip after an initial mix up if it results in a successful NJP , not a vortex, just a mix up:/

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So is Necromancer any good? This is the variation that i wanted to play as, but i wasn't sure if the buffs improved it or not.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The other "tracking" moves don't track well at all...and no, flick can't be controlled, just the unblockable.
I think you could fix the problem simply if you had Close Flick, Medium Flick, Far Flick. Kind of like Quan's Runes. Between that and hos ground fireballs you'd really have something.

That disappoints me. Those bone hands look awesome.

ili6741

Noob
I have over 1000 matches played vs. Shinnok (Impostor) so I'll just tell you how I feel about the "vortex" from the point of view of the person receiving it.

After mimic there is NO reason why you should just do dash/walk overhead/low. Literally NO reason. If the low is 6 frame and the overhead is 18 frames it is very fuzzy-able IF and ONLY IF you do the low option without faking anything first.

If it is from a jumpin then agreed, you do not have the option of delaying the 50/50 but are forced to have them come out the same timing. But mimic is not like that. This is why fuzzy guarding is actually a non-issue for Shinnok, maing it a much better 50/50 than mixups with fixed timings.

When the opponent is trying to fuzzy guard, what they are in fact doing is blocking low and then switching to high block the moment they see Shinnok do something. I want to stress the part about DOING SOMETHING. So bait them by walking up after the mimic and tap down before doing the low, or stand still and then do a run and immediately cancel it into the low. Humans can just barely react to 18 frames, and that is only if you are doing a reaction test where the screen goes from red to green. In game the animations don't give away the move from frame 1 (especially since there are ways of hiding the startup), which is why this is legit.

P.S: the instant air teleport to low mixup is worse in my opinion since there is no way of switching up the timing (except if doing the teleport too high up, botching up the timing is considered "switching up the timing), and there are recovery landing frames after the air teleport, which will cause the gap between your teleport njp and low to be quite big either way (less than 12 frames, but I already covered how that is a non-issue..). I fuzzy guard that setup subconciously due to sf4 having similar (but stronger) setups.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Congrats on GGA Max for a strong showing last night as Shinnok. Really makes me smile to see him play that well and show off this dude on stream.

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
Not actual tech but swag, i do the little double jumpover now if i know i'm going into the blockstring after mimicry. It looks pro mk. so does winning with 8 grabs.

Shamwow0w0w

I'm not going to lie, i'm a bit salty about whats happened since the patch came out for xbox.
The Sub Zero/Jacqui videos had nothing to do with the whiff tech, their was absolutely no reason in removing them.
I can't think of a single situation where holding Sonyas leg grab is more beneficial than wasting it since Mimicry by its self is better in every way. (safe on block vs 90% of the cast, better range, leads to high chip damage, grants a damage boost, can reverse positions if wanted, leaves the opponent standing so it also removes wake ups, allows minor meter building before applying pressure, etc)
The reptile whiff tech led to an amazing set up and everything stated above about Sonyas leg grab applies to Reptile as well. Same thing with Erron Black.
The kenshi whiff tech is understandable, although I still don't agree with it since i'd rather have Mimicry over Rising Karma.

So excuse me while I take a little break from this thread.

Edit: The meter required for whiffing these useless special moves was built back with the guaranteed block damage afterwards, so realistically it only cost half of a bar, or a third. Which seems pretty darn worth it to me.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
yeah... LOL

goddammit stupid online

isn't this something that should be headlined? completely worthless moved added to Shinnok's moveset.
18 is perfect online but will never work offline. Why didnt they just make it 15 frames? its like they're fing with us
18 frames is not consistently reactable, online or offline. You can react to these sometimes if you hyperfocus, but no one is going to consistently do this in matches. The overheads you see top SF players get hit by all the time are 17-23 frame startups (C Viper is 20 frames for example).

To use NRS examples, Killer Frost's overhead is SLOWER than Shinnok's, at 19 frames. And it is universally agreed she has an unseeable 50/50. To use another example, Kung Jin's f2 is also slower at 19 frames and people get bopped by that constantly.

I am positive that your friend/offline opponent is fuzzy guarding the mixup, even if he thinks he is reacting to it. There is more than a 10 frame difference between his low and his overhead so it's pretty easy to fuzzy. If you mix up delayed low and overhead I am sure your opponent is going to sudden stop being "able to react to it."

The overhead is good.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
18 frames is not consistently reactable, online or offline. You can react to these sometimes if you hyperfocus, but no one is going to consistently do this in matches. The overheads you see top SF players get hit by all the time are 17-23 frame startups (C Viper is 20 frames for example).

To use NRS examples, Killer Frost's overhead is SLOWER than Shinnok's, at 19 frames. And it is universally agreed she has an unseeable 50/50. To use another example, Kung Jin's f2 is also slower at 19 frames and people get bopped by that constantly.

I am positive that your friend/offline opponent is fuzzy guarding the mixup, even if he thinks he is reacting to it. There is more than a 10 frame difference between his low and his overhead so it's pretty easy to fuzzy. If you mix up delayed low and overhead I am sure your opponent is going to sudden stop being "able to react to it."

The overhead is good.
This. 18 frames is ok when they also have to worry about low, grab or chip string.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
To use NRS examples, Killer Frost's overhead is SLOWER than Shinnok's, at 19 frames. And it is universally agreed she has an unseeable 50/50.
What? That isn't agreed on at all. Don't speak for everyone when you're not even representing the majority. In a vortex situation KFs 50/50 is reactable. Barely mind you but still reactable when you're in a vortex situation.