What's new

Match-up Discussion "I think you underestimate me!" Joker Match-up Discussion Thread

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
"I think you underestimate me!" ...it's like NRS knew....
Joker Matchup Discussion Thread

With the game and meta having evolved a lot since some of the older threads were made, I figured it's about time we make something a bit more relevant and really flesh out some of the matchups that we either disagree on or are simply uncertain of. I don't want this to be another match-up chart with numbers and an oversimplified sentence description, so I'm gonna throw MU charts for some of us at the bottom and we'll dedicate the bulk of the discussion to character-specific tech and how to deal with various situations that arise in these fights. Anyone interested in peoples matchup charts, feel free to check them out and comment.

Let's face it, we're all playing people at different levels and with different playstyles with their respective characters, and these things guide our opinion of matchups and which way the advantage goes. Generally, we talk about these things by laying out match-up charts, assigning numbers to things, and then argue whether a 5 is a 5, a 5.5, a 6, or a 2, and we get lost in the minutia instead of really breaking down the matchups. This is stupid. To avoid this, I'm gonna suggest a bit of a different format than we usually see in these forums. We'll walk through each character individually and spend a few days (you know, because we have lives and stuff) discussing matchup, the neutral game, how to punish pertinent situations, deal with zoning/spacing, character specific tech, etc. We'll go really in-depth and try to figure out where any disagreement stems from, and once we've come to a general consensus, I'll sum it up and add it to the OP with a synopsis for each character. Throughout the process, I'm gonna suggest we also tag other people in the community who are adept with the characters being discussed (well known players, sparing partners, etc) to contribute to the discussion.

Here are the matchup charts of some of the notable Joker players that shared their opinions at the onset of this thread, as well as the average across everyone and the standard deviation (which I'm using to identify the matches that we least agree on so that we can prioritize discussion on those).
Qwark
Aquaman------------- 4 - 6
Ares------------------- 4 - 6
Bane------------------ 4 - 6
Batgirl---------------- 4 - 6
Batman--------------- 4 - 6
Black Adam---------- 5 - 5
Catwoman----------- 5 - 5
Cyborg---------------- 7 - 3
Deathstroke--------- 4 - 6
Doomsday----------- 4 - 6
Flash------------------ 3 - 7
Green Arrow--------- 6 - 4
Green Lantern------- 4 - 6
Harley Quinn-------- 4 - 6
Hawkgirl-------------- 5 - 5
Killer Frost----------- 4 - 6
Lex Luthor------------ 5 - 5
Lobo------------------ 5 - 5
Martian Manhunter 4 - 6
Nightwing------------ 6 - 4
Raven----------------- 5 - 5
Scorpion-------------- 6 - 4
Shazam--------------- 5 - 5
Sinestro-------------- 3 - 7
Solomon Grundy---- 4 - 6
Superman------------ 4 - 6
Wonder Woman---- 3 - 7
Zatanna--------------- 4 - 6
Zod-------------------- 2 - 8
StevoSupremo
Aquaman------------- 3 - 7
Batgirl---------------- 5 - 5
Catwoman----------- 4 - 6
Cyborg---------------- 6 - 4
Green Arrow--------- 5 - 5
Harley Quinn-------- 5 - 5
Hawkgirl-------------- 4 - 6
Martian Manhunter 4 - 6
Nightwing------------ 5 - 5
Shazam--------------- 4 - 6
Sinestro-------------- 4 - 6
Solomon Grundy---- 4 - 6
Wonder Woman---- 4 - 6
Zod-------------------- 3 - 7
Gilbagz
Batman--------------- 4.5 - 5.5
Black Adam---------- 4 - 6
Catwoman----------- 5 - 5
Deathstroke--------- 5 - 5
Doomsday----------- 4.5 - 5.5
Flash------------------ 3.5 - 6.5
Green Lantern------- 4.5 - 5.5
Hawkgirl-------------- 5 - 5
Lex Luthor------------ 6 - 4
Lobo------------------ - - -
Martian Manhunter - - -
Raven----------------- - - -
Shazam--------------- - - -
Sinestro-------------- - - -
Solomon Grundy---- - - -
Wonder Woman---- 4 - 6
Zod-------------------- - - -
Fromundaman/Eevee
Aquaman------------- 5 - 5
Bane------------------ 5 - 5
Catwoman----------- - - -
Cyborg---------------- 7 - 3
Green Arrow--------- 4 - 6
Hawkgirl-------------- 3 - 7
Killer Frost----------- 5 - 5
Lex Luthor------------ 6 - 4
Martian Manhunter 5 - 5
Raven----------------- 4 - 6
Sinestro-------------- - - -
Solomon Grundy---- 6 - 4
Superman------------ 5 - 5
Wonder Woman---- - - -
Zod-------------------- 5 - 5
Vengeance/ maybe Kentucky sometimes sort of?
Aquaman------------- 3.5 - 6.5
Bane------------------ 3.5 - 6.5
Batgirl---------------- 4 - 6
Black Adam---------- 4 - 6
Catwoman----------- 3.5 - 6.5
Cyborg---------------- 5 - 5
Green Arrow--------- 4 - 6
Lobo------------------ 4 - 6
Martian Manhunter 3 - 7
Nightwing------------ 4 - 6
Raven----------------- 4 - 6
Scorpion-------------- 5 - 5
Sinestro-------------- 3 - 7
Solomon Grundy---- 4.5 - 5.5
Wonder Woman---- 4 - 6
Zatanna--------------- 3 - 7
Zod-------------------- 2 - 8
After Averaging:

Average
Bane------------------ 4.5 - 5.5
Batgirl---------------- 4.5 - 5.5
Black Adam---------- 4.5 - 5.5
Catwoman----------- 4.5 - 5.5
Cyborg---------------- 6.5 - 3.5
Green Arrow--------- 4.5 - 5.5
Killer Frost----------- 4.5 - 5.5
Lex Luthor------------ 5.5 - 4.5
Martian Manhunter 4 - 6
Raven----------------- 4.5 - 5.5
Sinestro-------------- 3.5 - 6.5
Solomon Grundy---- 4.5 - 5.5
Superman------------ 4.5 - 5.5
Wonder Woman---- 4 - 6
Zod-------------------- 3.5 - 6.5

Advantage MUs 3
Even MUs 13
Disadvantage MUs 13
***I'm calling 4.5-5.5 even matchups for now because they are super close to even and the numbers are a little skewed due to the sample sizes and how I rounded the averages!
Variance/Deviation/Disagreement (in order of most contentious)
Zod-------------------- 1.52
Solomon Grundy---- 0.95
Hawkgirl-------------- 0.89
Martian Manhunter 0.84
Cyborg---------------- 0.82
Green Arrow--------- 0.82
Aquaman------------- 0.8
Catwoman----------- 0.75
Nightwing------------ 0.63
Bane------------------ 0.61
Sinestro-------------- 0.58
Raven----------------- 0.55
Lex Luthor------------ 0.55
Batgirl---------------- 0.52
Black Adam---------- 0.52
Killer Frost----------- 0.52
Superman------------ 0.52
Wonder Woman---- 0.5
Lobo------------------ 0.45
Shazam--------------- 0.45
Harley Quinn-------- 0.41
Scorpion-------------- 0.41
Deathstroke--------- 0.41
Zatanna--------------- 0.41
Flash------------------ 0.2
Batman--------------- 0.2
Doomsday----------- 0.2
Green Lantern------- 0.2
Ares------------------- 0

So let's get to work! And remember, @Qwark28 only SOUNDS like a douche... usually... ;)

@Gilbagz
@Fromundaman
@AL Eevee
@Vengeance135
@oNe87_Kentucky
@The_PantyChrist
@OnlineRon91
@Notez4
@EMP Dark
@EMPR_FEAR
@ThaShiveGeek
@BrianTheBEAST
@rehti
@Rathalos - sticky please!

Old Threads for reference:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/joker-matchup-discussion.29838/

StevoSuprem0

First up, based on my variance sorting (which we don't have to follow exactly, I just thought it woud serve as a good place to start) isssssss.........*drumroll*................................

ZOD!
Some of us think this a 2-8 and extremely difficult, others believe it to be nearly even, and a few of us have even played the same people to come to these very different conclusions.
Does a difficult neutral game with perilous zoning win out over extreme vulnerability on KD? Let's discuss. (But it's 2AM here and I have work in 5 hours, so for now, I'm going to bed...)

Biggs

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
IMO
Aquaman------------- 3 - 7
Catwoman----------- 4 - 6
Lobo------------------ 4 - 6
Martian Manhunter 4 - 6
Nightwing------------ 4 - 6
Shazam--------------- 4 - 6
Sinestro-------------- 4 - 6
Solomon Grundy---- 4 - 6
Wonder Woman---- 4 - 6
Zatanna--------------- 3 - 7
Zod-------------------- 3 - 7

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I can give a million reasons why this MU is dumb as fuck. Zods zoning, is dumb, it builds him hella meter, he can combo off Zod balls and IA Zod balls, revolver trades but its not a favorable trade so why bother, side arm keeps Joker in check from dashing in forcing him to inch, ground lasers, do have a gap between start up and active but if theres a Zod ball out you have to take that plus forever shit into trait call and the MB laser takes forever to be over like for real? Just give him the 8 seconds of cool down time. Trait chips and keeps you in place while he shoots shit at you which does added chip, you're forced to take interactables and if you try to jump the interactables he can grab you, he actually has a mixup game up close with trait, though its not super reliable and can be pushblocked, trait allows him to switch sides at will which means all that covered ground was for nothing and this fucking guy can do a 40% combo mid to full screen. He doesn't even need to be near you to fuck you up. Joker can only compete off of hard reads, and godlike momentum, and I mean GODLIKE MOMENTUM. I have more I can complain about with this guy but for now I'll just wait.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
First off, thank you Steve0 for the work you have already put into this post.

Now onto the meat of the matter...

______

I've said it many times before, but I don't think Zod is a bad matchup.

Gunshot trades favorably with all of his ranged options and stuffs them if timed right. As a result holding the gun out prevents Zod from doing anything but trying to bait out the shot. This in turn allows us to dash cancel to approach if need be, or simply stall it out if we have a significant life lead. If Zod crouches the gunshot, he can call trait in between shots, which is kind of a big deal though.
Also if you allow him to get a slow grounded Zod ball on screen then you are forced to show it at least some respect.
Neutral jump MB Zod Balls will also guarantee Zod a trait call, but you can trade with it by holding the gun out and shooting him on his way down (You do more damage) then doing wakeup gunshot to punish the trait call (Trait still comes out, but you got 16% out of it instead of eating chip then dealing with trait anyway).

That said, with the exception of interactible setups and the guaranteed chip setups, there are ways to escape and sometimes even punish all of Zod's trait shenanigans (even if you aren't Batgirl!), so depending on the stage the trait call in not always a game changer.

On stages with corner interactibles like Ferris or Batcave, we can outzone Zod very heavily, using gun to stall out time and trade until the next missile comes back, then trading missiles for whatever Zod does.

Once we are in, we outpressure him pretty hard, we outrange him, and we have a better post-knockdown game. In the corner this is all amplified.
That said, his D2 is really good at keeping us out of the air, so don't be too predictable with your jumping (Pig was murdering me for this).

We also destroy him on knockdown, but you do have to go into the lab to see how to beat Zod charge. Prior to playing Pig, I thought Zod's wakeups were as bad as Raven's or Aquaman's. While they are not good by any stretch, they are still considerably better than what those two have, and as such you do need specific setups to stuff everything while keeping it hard to block.
Best ones IMO are anything that involves a crossup jump 2 which timed to reverse inputs so as to mess up force palm's inputs while making zod charge auto-correct (And it will lose to j2s) to punish that as well.

His parry is annoying since it can interrupt our pressure, but it's super punishable on whiff and I don't think he actually gets anything off of it.

... I'm probably forgetting stuff but it's 4 AM, so I'm going to end this here.

oNe87_Kentucky

Hunter, Not hunted.
My own chart just for shits and giggles:
Aquaman---------- 3-7
Ares------------- 5-5
Bane------------- 3-7
Batgirl---------- 4-6
Batman----------- 3-7
Black Adam------- 4-6
Catwoman--------- 3.5-6.5
Cyborg----------- 5-5
Deathstroke-------5-5
Doomsday--------- 4-6
Flash------------ 3-7
Green Arrow------ 3-7
Green Lantern---- 5-5
Harley Quinn----- 5-5
Hawkgirl--------- 3-7
Killer Frost------5-5
Lex Luthor------- 4-6
Lobo------------- 4-6
MMH-------------- 3-7
Nightwing-------- 4-6
Raven------------ 5-5
Scorpion--------- 5-5
Shazam----------- 5-5
Sinestro--------- 3-7
Solomon Grundy--- 5-5
Superman--------- 3.5-6.5
Wonder Woman----- 3-7
Zatanna---------- 5-5
Zod-------------- 3-7

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm going to wait for these matchups to start being discussed before i go into detail but IMO Joker vs Batgirl is 5-5 and Joker vs Wonder Woman is 4-6.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
@Fromundaman depending on the speed of his Zod balls and what he's doing prior, throwing revolver is just recklessness to say the least. Revolver trades always work out in his favor even if its not by damage, I thought it did until I played higher level Zods like Dave, knife ability and Maze and labbed his options. Side arm and revolver can trade when you see it coming and ducking revolver for trait call is a huge deal. When using IA Zod balls, which are safe depending on the speed, he can also go for ground laser while the ball is out. Which is giving him so much advantage and pushing you away at the game time. Also once you are within his range you have to commit to how you get in either by jump or whatever you do and Zods backdash is like prepatch BA, his force push bullshit and D2 serve well as an AA which really means you still have to inch even in swing range because all great Zod players pushblock any swing Joker takes to keep him away and they also have the meter to do so. I agree that when you knock him down, if you can mix it up well enough or if he has no meter then hes fucked. 11 anything punishes Zod charge, you can neutral jump and full punish the force push whatever that shit is but even guessing at what he will do on wake up is to be respected. You can MB whatever through it but if he does nothing he'll just pushblock and you are back to square one. Also outzone Zod? No way unless you have a HUGE life lead. Ferris is Zods playground because of all the interactables there and the missiles can be neutral jumped to Zod ball and guess what? Now you gotta respect that shit and Batcave is definitely a good stage to fight him on because it has a BGB and its small but if he sends you to level transition for get about it. Any level that is small gives Joker a bit more of a fighting chance but if its stacked with interactables forget about it. Also Zods trait is only a bit of the problem, its what kind of respect you have to show him when its out. Blocking his trait mixups aren't problematic unless you are online. Sorry if I sounded like an asshole its not my intention bro lol fired up discussion

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Cyborg is most likely a 5-5. Cyborg loses 4-6 at worst. But losing 3-7 is ridiculous lol

Also, I think Zod-Joker is around a 6-4, 7-3 is a worst case scenario
Thank you about the cyborg one lol and I'm curious about what you think about the Zod MU. I'm I missing something? Or are you going by a general sense and not by lab and MU experience. If that sounded like an asshole remark I apologize lol I meant no disrespect

StevoSuprem0

This is a rare occasion in which I actually agree with @General M2Dave, and would like to see what you think of @Fromundaman 's post just above yours. If we're doing numbers, I'm somewhere between the 4-6 and 3-7 camp.

I agree that gunshot is a good tool to help control the pace of the match. Zod balls should always get punished, which make IAZB's pretty useless for him in this fight unless he does some sort of setup into them to maintain pressure. Sidearm is always something you have to watch out for, but if you're keeping him pinned down with gunshots, you should be able to beat it out. Sidearm trades (maybe only MB? can't remember) are in his favor, so you have to respect them and duck after. We can also punish poor trait summon attempts pretty easily and, as Fro pointed out, trade in some situations to sometimes even stuff the trait summon. However, once he ducks a gunshot or reads a dash, it becomes his turn, because he can keep us pinned with balls and sidearms as well or better than we can him with gun shenanigans.

However, once he has trait out, I disagree that there is a whole lot we (or most characters, really) are able to do about it. He gets insane control of interactables. He pins you with trait punches that allow him to move in and out of pressure as he sees fit. And there's always the trait grab/lasers 50/50, which I'm fairly confident is decently reactable offline, but is probably impossible to deal with online. Any time he catches you with a combo, he can waste so much time that he is almost able to resummon the trait and put us right back into his wherever-he-want-to-be-on-the-screen-pressure.

When we're in, yeah, I agree that we kinda control the fight from that part. We have longer reaching normals in d2, d3, and crowbar. We have guaranteed teeth setups from 212 xx teeth, 113 xx teeth, and a few other ways. We have decent mixup to get around his parry. But we absolutely MUST take advantage of these moments, because if we get put full screen again, we gotta navigate that zoning forest again and all he needs to do is make one good read to keep us pinned down. On KD, we can bully all day, but remember to play around parries. If you go for a teeth-> MB f3 setup, you generally wanna make the teeth hit first so that even if he manages to block, he can't parry it, and if he tries, he's eating 47% or a bit less into another setup. In the corner, he is absolutely boned.

That's my take.

StevoSuprem0

Cyborg is most likely a 5-5. Cyborg loses 4-6 at worst. But losing 3-7 is ridiculous lol

Also, I think Zod-Joker is around a 6-4, 7-3 is a worst case scenario
I agree with that, I think Cyborg is slightly in our favor because we can shutdown his zoning and punish alot of his stuff, such as grappling hooks, but I'm not super familiar with the fight up close. I think it's still in our favor a bit there as well. We only fought once in a pretty short set, and though you beat me more than I beat you, the fight felt really managable for Joker. Need more experience to say for sure though!

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
This is a rare occasion in which i actually agree with @General M2Dave, and would like to see what you think of @Fromundaman 's post just above yours. If we're doing numbers, I'm somewhere between the 4-6 and 3-7 camp.

I agree that gunshot is a good tool to help control the pace of the match. Zod balls should always get punished, which make IAZB's pretty useless for him in this fight unless he does some sort of setup into them to maintain pressure. Sidearm is always something you have to watch out for, but if you're keeping him pinned down with gunshots, you should be able to beat it out. Sidearm trades (maybe only MB? can't remember) are in his favor, so you have to respect them and duck after. We can also punish poor trait summon attempts pretty easily and, as Fro pointed out, trade in some situations to sometimes even stuff the trait summon. However, once he ducks a gunshot or reads a dash, it becomes his turn, because he can keep us pinned with balls and sidearms as well or better than we can him with gun shenanigans.

However, once he has trait out, I disagree that there is a whole lot we (or most characters, really) are able to do about it. He gets insane control of interactables. He pins you with trait punches that allow him to move in and out of pressure as he sees fit. And there's always the trait grab/lasers 50/50, which I'm fairly confident is decently reactable offline, but is probably impossible to deal with online. Any time he catches you with a combo, he can waste so much time that he is almost able to resummon the trait and put us right back into his wherever-he-want-to-be-on-the-screen-pressure.

When we're in, yeah, I agree that we kinda control the fight from that part. We have longer reaching normals in d2, d3, and crowbar. We have guaranteed teeth setups from 212 xx teeth, 113 xx teeth, and a few other ways. We have decent mixup to get around his parry. But we absolutely MUST take advantage of these moments, because if we get put full screen again, we gotta navigate that zoning forest again and all he needs to do is make one good read to keep us pinned down. On KD, we can bully all day, but remember to play around parries. If you go for a teeth-> MB f3 setup, you generally wanna make the teeth hit first so that even if he manages to block, he can't parry it, and if he tries, he's eating 47% or a bit less into another setup. In the corner, he is absolutely boned.

That's my take.
I definitely agree with you but with everything said and the honest dominance he has in this MU I cant agree with 6-4. Definitely 7-3. Btw am I the only one talking about Zod pushblocking?

KHAOTIC_BLAZE

Kickass squad aka razorblazemcg
My own chart just for shits and giggles:
Aquaman---------- 3-7
Ares------------- 5-5
Bane------------- 3-7
Batgirl---------- 4-6
Batman----------- 3-7
Black Adam------- 4-6
Catwoman--------- 3.5-6.5
Cyborg----------- 5-5
Deathstroke-------5-5
Doomsday--------- 4-6
Flash------------ 3-7
Green Arrow------ 3-7
Green Lantern---- 5-5
Harley Quinn----- 5-5
Hawkgirl--------- 3-7
Killer Frost------5-5
Lex Luthor------- 4-6
Lobo------------- 4-6
MMH-------------- 3-7
Nightwing-------- 4-6
Raven------------ 5-5
Scorpion--------- 5-5
Shazam----------- 5-5
Sinestro--------- 3-7
Solomon Grundy--- 5-5
Superman--------- 3.5-6.5
Wonder Woman----- 3-7
Zatanna---------- 5-5
Zod-------------- 3-7
LOL 3 7 vs BM? I think you over exaggerating lol BM only beats joker 6 4 all you gotta do his knock his ass down and let the show BEGAN!!!!!!!

StevoSuprem0

I definitely agree with you but with everything said and the honest dominance he has in this MU I cant agree with 6-4. Definitely 7-3. Btw am I the only one talking about Zod pushblocking?
People I play don't abuse pushblock enough I guess. I never really think about it lol.