What's new

I get sad looking at the concept art for characters

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
I was just thinking his same thing the other day!

There are some AWESOME kinda gothic inspired costumes and they always choose the most generic ones.. God damn I wish they'd do a full on gritty, post-apocalyptic concept..

I don't play Ermac but his concept looks so epic!

armani

Noob
Do I smell a DLC possibility??

In my honest opinion, alot of the characters got the short end of the stick when it came to actual in-game design choice. Erron Black looks remarkably badass in his concepts, Raiden looked BOSS with the long hair option, Kitana looked regal as hell with them see thru fans in her concepts, and Jacqui looked so much cooler with the big hair.

If NRS released a Concept Art themed DLC pack for all of the characters who would purchase it?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I know it's in the game, but IMO Mileena's Tournament ingame costume pales in comparison to the concept art.
This is one that came to mind immediately when seeing this thread. I thought the same thing when I saw this. This concept art looks INCREDIBLE. Without question the best Mileena design ever in any game. The final in game product looks like shit compared to this, to be honest.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I thought Mileena's concept art was absolutely amazing. Something happened in translation to 3D where her proprortions are off and now she looks like a giant kid or a midget.

It can be tough to make it 1:1, but I notice that this does happen a lot with whoever is doing the 3d character modeling for NRS games. For example, the faces with the strange anatomy that people complained about in IGAU/MK9 never looked that way in the concept art.

Overall it's a minor nitpick though and I'll still enjoy the game.

I'm happy with how Erron turned out, but I would have loved to have one of those as his alt. Not the shitty male model alt that we have now.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I thought Mileena's concept art was absolutely amazing. Something happened in translation to 3D where her proprortions are off and now she looks like a giant kid or a midget.

It can be tough to make it 1:1, but I notice that this does happen a lot with whoever is doing the 3d character modeling for NRS games. For example, the faces with the strange anatomy that people complained about in IGAU/MK9 never looked that way in the concept art.

Overall it's a minor nitpick though and I'll still enjoy the game.
her head is too big.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
Some of the concept art shown was better than the final model, and some of it worse, but yeah, there were a few elements that I thought "I wish they'd gone with that." But this happens with the concept art of many games, where they tend to skin ideas right down for time and tech issues.
On a personal level, I was really salty that they showed no concept art for Sindel whatsoever, despite having some for the all the other NPCs and many cut-scene characters.

I'm intrigued by the revelation that the Erron Black character was almost a woman, there must be at least a few sketches of that version of the character somewhere at NRS.
I like the Mileena stuff, especially the close-up, speed painted, face portraits.

The fanart folder is wasted, they should've crammed that thing to the brim with people's pictures.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Some of the concept art shown was better than the final model, and some of it worse, but yeah, there were a few elements that I thought "I wish they'd gone with that." But this happens with the concept art of many games, where they tend to skin ideas right down for time and tech issues.
On a personal level, I was really salty that they showed no concept art for Sindel whatsoever, despite having some for the all the other NPCs and many cut-scene characters.

I'm intrigued by the revelation that the Erron Black character was almost a woman, there must be at least a few sketches of that version of the character somewhere at NRS.
I like the Mileena stuff, especially the close-up, speed painted, face portraits.

The fanart folder is wasted, they should've crammed that thing to the brim with people's pictures.
Erron was almost a female gunslinger? That's cool.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I think I'm the only person that prefers Erron's actual costumes to the concept art lol.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
And her head probably had to be too big to fit all of those teeth in, or the teeth would look not proportionate. I'm not artistic in any sense, but I image that's a hard thing to do.
i mean if you make the entire head smaller the teeth would be smaller too

i don't see the issue of Mileena anyway, I think she looks great and I use Tournament more than the others (personally think Vampiress looks horrible), though the concept art's definitely better

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Almost all of these concepts need to become alt costumes at some point.

Especially the long haired Raiden ones.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
Almost all of these concepts need to become alt costumes at some point.

Especially the long haired Raiden ones.
I agree.

Raiden needs his alt in MK Armageddon with the pony tail.

Also we need another alt for the characters that have only two.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
guys bearded raiden is the most hype look anyone could ever have

the only actual look that makes him look like a fucking mentor and nobody at NRS thought to use it, i'm mad

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
Can we please talk about how Mileena's Tournament and Kahnum costumes are literally just color swaps of each other lol

LinKueiLegend

The true Grandmaster
Yeah a lot of Subs stuff looks so much better lol. Also don't get me wrong. I love Erron Black right now but those concept arts look absolutely amazing.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
I really like the bottom right concept there for Erron, but I think he looks cool in the game as well.

I'm extremely happy with what we got for Kitana in game. Her primary is my all-time favorite female costume in MK, Dark Empress and Jingu skins are super tight (her a$$ looks so sexy in Dark Empress lol and she looks deadly in Jingu) and Revnant is a solid skin too. Tournament is average, while classic is 'meh'/boring.