What's new

Tech - Grandmaster How to properly OS off of Sub-Zero's B33

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
This is actually a really big deal and this is good tech for the Grandmaster. +1 and glad to see the tech posted.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Thanks for the videos, but exactly what is wrong with just hit confirming? Especially since that way I can make a choice whether to just Block and be safe or cancel into a Clone instead?

Thanks for the videos, but exactly what is wrong with just hit confirming? Especially since that way I can make a choice whether to just Block and be safe or cancel into a Clone instead?
Clone cancel is not safe. Also, hit confirming allows b2 and B33 to be fuzzy guarded because you confirm B33 based off of both hits not just the last hit. If the opponent fuzzy guards, B2 is blocked and only the second hit of B33 connects which makes the hit confirm impossible. the OS punishes fuzzy guard.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
So for the b33 OS with regular ice ball, how late are you doing the cancel, like are you canceling when the last 3 hits or before that?

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
Not really related to the OS, but wanted to let people know. I've noticed against female characters, a max range B33 into regular ice blast will not combo properly. So be careful of the spacing when you do it.

That's not what hit-confirming is though.
If the opponent fuzzy guards the overhead/low mix up, the first hit of B33 is blocked and only the second hit of the string hits. This makes it impossible to hit confirm. So yes, that is what hit confirming is.. You just cannot do it if the opponent is fuzzy guarding.

I GOT HANDS

Cancelling in to EX-Clone is pretty safe in general, and if they have no meter cancelling in to clone in general pretty safe too, and even if they do have meter its still ok to do every now and again I think. But regardless, are you saying the advantage of this over hitconfirming is if they block the first hit of B33, then drop block it OS's through? If thats the case then I think I'm cool with just hitconfirming I think, although I do appreciate the video

Cancelling in to EX-Clone is pretty safe in general, and if they have no meter cancelling in to clone in general pretty safe too, and even if they do have meter its still ok to do every now and again I think. But regardless, are you saying the advantage of this over hitconfirming is if they block the first hit of B33, then drop block it OS's through? If thats the case then I think I'm cool with just hitconfirming I think, although I do appreciate the video
No, it means this..

he means if the opponent blocks low, high and gets hit with the second low the OS will cancel into iceball, whereas if you try to hitconfirm you will see the 1st low blocked and not commit to iceball

Also, EX Clone cancel is not safe because at random it wont come out. Instead you randomly get a normal clone which is not safe.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I run into a very high percentage of people who fuzzy guard the b33 string. This OS gives me damage, a corner carry, and a safe clone when I would have otherwise only had 12+ hit adv.

Ravosa

Wild Card
I run into a very high percentage of people who fuzzy guard the b33 string. This OS gives me damage, a corner carry, and a safe clone when I would have otherwise only had 12+ hit adv.
How do you get a safe clone out of this? This uses ice blast or enhanced ice blast, and if it's block and that doesn't come out, the clone you pop out after is unsafe.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
If you're familiar with the trials from Street Fighter IV onwards, the notion to figure out when the link angel is too early or too late is fairly straightforward. If you use Sub Zero, you owe it to yourself to at least know how to do this.

It really isn't the most difficult thing in the world. Just do it, what do you have to lose besides matches?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
How do you get a safe clone out of this? This uses ice blast or enhanced ice blast, and if it's block and that doesn't come out, the clone you pop out after is unsafe.
I meant to imply that I could get the safe clone post combo in the event that the opponent does fuzzy guard and I hit with the OS.

Having said that, I'll bet you could OS the b33 xx ice blast, cancelling with forward, and continue half circle back for the MB ice statue command. This way you either get a combo or a safe clone (assuming it doesn't bug out and give you normal clone).

I meant to imply that I could get the safe clone post combo in the event that the opponent does fuzzy guard and I hit with the OS.

Having said that, I'll bet you could OS the b33 xx ice blast, cancelling with forward, and continue half circle back for the MB ice statue command. This way you either get a combo or a safe clone (assuming it doesn't bug out and give you normal clone).
B33 is -8 and unpunishable by 95% of the cast. No need for the risk on ex clone cancel.

I GOT HANDS

If you're familiar with the trials from Street Fighter IV onwards, the notion to figure out when the link angel is too early or too late is fairly straightforward. If you use Sub Zero, you owe it to yourself to at least know how to do this.

It really isn't the most difficult thing in the world. Just do it, what do you have to lose besides matches?
Clone Cancels would be the obvious thing that you stand to lose doing it this way, instead of hitconfirming. I'm also a fan of cancelling into Ice Burst for 2% chip and only -10. This OS is just the easy way to do it, and there is no reason at all for a sensible opponent to drop lowblock against Sub once you've confirmed that his ONLY overhead isn't coming since it's the opener and 18 frames long. This is a good way to punish that mistake, but that seems like about it

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Nice videos Tom :)

Just wanted to shed some light onto when exactly to cancel.

If you want, you can actually dial the entire string straight away (b33~ice ball) and still get it to come out on hit, you'll just have to delay the input of the f/b.

If you learn when the block stun window is (it's about 4 frames iirc) this isn't too difficult. However, the way Tom is suggesting is good because it doesn't worry about timing when to press the f/b so much as when to input the ice blast. You make the choice; either time your ice ball, or time your b/f input.

For me, I learnt timing the b/f input but that's because I came from doing Cassie's OS and that's basically what you do with her.