What's new

Question How to deal with wake-ups as DD

TheRyzzl

Noob
So after playing DD since day 1 as a main i'm starting to notice people are finally realizing how to deal with DD shenanigans. I think we all realized this would happen sooner or later. Now this is the first fighter i have tried to take seriously and really level up in so maybe i'm just missing something here or DD just really has some effed up MU and it seems certain characters wake-ups just blow up DD rushdown.

Now i get the concept of baiting out certain wake-ups for free punishes but DD isn't really a huge combo punisher type of dude. Jumping in on characters even after knockdown can be dangerous. For example bat-girl has her dd3 wake up or even her cartwheel attack. Which makes rushing in on her from the front dangerous too. NW staff twirl wake-up seems godlike against doomsday cause it will even hit you behind him or stuff any forward assault as well. Black adam's lightning cage is a pretty great wake up as well against DD. Then theres character who have wake-ups that just straight up get them outta dodge like killer frost slide. Which isn't the easiest thing to punish even a jid3 seems to whiff on that small ass hit box of hers. Flash, hawkgirl, and green arrow have good wake-up escapes as well.

So yeah. Tell me what you guys think. Are you guys having trouble with this stuff as well? Do you have any tips against any of these particular match-ups? Am I just a scrub?(probably)

Also side note. I think DD is a great character in this game and succeeds fairly well against a lot of the cast I just think he has some really bad MU against certain characters.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Playing doomie= playing poker. You play your opponent. As far as online goes you need to grasp what type of player you're up against, if he spams wakeups like a retard just take the first few wakeups then start baiting.

With batgirl, most batgirls you'll find online just spam tele, after a knockdown just bait. If they're good players, do it selectively.

It really just depends on the player, you just need to adapt on the fly, that's the bottom line.

HungryforPasta

Come and Get it!
it seems certain characters wake-ups just blow up DD rushdown.

For example bat-girl has her dd3 wake up or even her cartwheel attack.
NW staff twirl wake-up seems godlike against doomsday cause it will even hit you behind him or stuff any forward assault as well. Black adam's lightning cage is a pretty great wake up as well against DD.

Then theres character who have wake-ups that just straight up get them outta dodge like
killer frost slide.
Flash,
hawkgirl,
green arrow have good wake-up escapes as well.
You're not onle in thinking this at all, I've had major problems with nightwing primarily being his wake up game
All of his reversals have invincibility on them and only escrima fury is unsafe on block.

There are three major counters to try and perfect.

• Many invincible reversals are only partially invincible!
The invincibiliy usually runs out after about halfway of start up, certain meaty set-ups ought to be created and applied to beat out certain characters: I don't have any off hand to share with you at the moment!

• Make reversals go the wrong way!
Using sweep and crossing up body splash or
Using sweep, dashing forward and then neutral jumping body splash, often causes the opponent's reversals to go the wrong way!
* will post video on this later*
Once the opponent gets punish for this once from they'll be hesitant to reversal which from then on will net you a free blocked body splash which then you'll be able to start pressure freely as specials only have invincibility on wake-up and not only as a reversal!

• Trait!
DD's trait when active makes most problematic reversals a liability:
I've covered a good number of reversals over at the "safe/unsafe against traited DD thread" and am still flushing out the information to include the MB versions as well!

In short, Trait is a god send against reversal attacks! many of them are fully punishable on hit which makes it a major tool!

rurounikenshin

biggest cyborg upplayer
I believe that if used correctly, DD´s DF 2 can deal with some wake-ups because it hits twice and in a short window between them, but the answer I use against Wake-ups in general is MB B3, this move is awesome with DD because it has a nice hitbox and it´s not that slow, as far as I am aware.

TheRyzzl

Noob
I usually charge up and do a d1 before the df2 and they smack through the d1 with the invincible frame should i just be using a raw df2?

Also it seems some people wake ups are so good they can do damaging combos like killer frost, green lantern, raven or BA. It seems silly they can yolo wake up move over and over again for the chance at a huge dmg combo when if I bait it out i could probably land a d1 df2, 33, venom, d3, or something. Just to knock them over again think they will learn so I continue my rushdown and they just keep doing it. So then it seems I have to start playing this slower paced game as a big time rushdown character. Even if there wake up doesnt lead to big dmg if they knock you down then they can start pressuring you and from what I can tell DD wake up game is pretty lackluster.

Trait is a great tool for getting in though I agree. However any multi hitting move blows that shit up. batman can b23 you all day, green arrow can do that leap back arrow shot, trident rush, lanterns mini-gun etc etc.

Also I feel the online lag most likely doesn't help any of this as well. Also I wish the hitbox on jid3 were changed back but im sure most people would tell me to f off lol.