What's new

How Superman lead to Mortal Kombat and the ESRB Rating System

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Earlier today, Ed Boon tweeted out a video link with the description, "My friends Steve Ritchie, Eugene Jarvis & I are part of the connection between SUPERMAN and the ESRB. Don't believe?" so I had to click on it. In a six minute video clip, you will receive a crash course on how not only lead to the creation of Mortal Kombat, but also the ESRB rating system.

On top of this, are you like me and miss the the announcer voice from the old Mortal Kombat games? In this video, you also learn and see the man himself, Steve Richie performing the voice, "Flawless Victory".

Second clip w/ Steve Richie as the MK announcer:

Sources: Rev3Games, edwilsons
Credit: noobde

Attachments

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
There was a special on G4TV way back in the day on Mortal Kombat that also talked about how they were pretty much the reason the ESRB came into effect.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Don't forget night trap for sega cd. I own the original unrated copy somewhere in my storage area. Hard to believe a game that had girls wearing pajamas got everyone all pissed off back then. We have come along way in gaming maturity since then with games like mk9 (violence) & gta with everything ha

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not sure I'd say Superman lead the reason for ESRB and MK since MK alone due to it's controversy cause the ESRB lol. Perhaps few others like Doom, Nighttrap etc but MK was just bigger. Cool vid though.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Not sure I'd say Superman lead the reason for ESRB and MK since MK alone due to it's controversy cause the ESRB lol. Perhaps few others like Doom, Nighttrap etc but MK was just bigger. Cool vid though.
Yeah, but when MK vs DC universe came out parents kept bitching that over the top violence would be in that game since superheroes "cant kill" so they put that Teen rated. Smh fucking bitch ass parents though.

MKF30

Yeah, but when MK vs DC universe came out parents kept bitching that over the top violence would be in that game since superheroes "cant kill" so they put that Teen rated. Smh fucking bitch ass parents though.
Yeah, the game still had blood in it and fatalities(still more then I can say from Marvel games) thing is a lot of MK fans hated the "T" rating but me being a fan of both MK and DC i kind of liked it. But I do think MK 9 and Injustice stand alone are better. I think if NRS ever does a Marvel game, they will also put down ground rules I doubt we'll ever see Sub-Zero ripping Spiderman or Wolverine's head off since marvel wont like that, lol much like DC didn't want that either for Batman or Catwoman etc.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Yeah, the game still had blood in it and fatalities(still more then I can say from Marvel games) thing is a lot of MK fans hated the "T" rating but me being a fan of both MK and DC i kind of liked it. But I do think MK 9 and Injustice stand alone are better. I think if NRS ever does a Marvel game, they will also put down ground rules I doubt we'll ever see Sub-Zero ripping Spiderman or Wolverine's head off since marvel wont like that, lol much like DC didn't want that either for Batman or Catwoman etc.
True, true, but we probably will see blood in that game o rsome adult rated stuff. B/c when UMVC 3 came out they added Nemesis and they feared it would turn to M rated game since Nemesis is in RE and that is a Mature rated game but since they did add him nothing changed. So its a 50/50 if they do that but we'll see.

MKF30

True, true, but we probably will see blood in that game o rsome adult rated stuff. B/c when UMVC 3 came out they added Nemesis and they feared it would turn to M rated game since Nemesis is in RE and that is a Mature rated game but since they did add him nothing changed. So its a 50/50 if they do that but we'll see.
Yeah I think Capcom could get away with that since RE while rated M, let's face it. RE isn't MK lol. know what I mean? lol But I hear ya ;)