What's new

How many Characters should one truly play in IGAU

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
This is a question I always was curious about and just never brought up to the community and would love to hear some thoughts on it. IGAU is now a year old and the game has changed dramatically since day 1. We have better understanding of the characters and their MUs now and how each characters tools work in which situations.

My question is this, how many characters should a player of IGAU fully understand how to play in IGAU. We all know most FGs a player will have the least two characters, one main and secondary to balance out the bad MUs they may have, but IGAU has something I think is a little different than most FGs, almost every character has more than one bad MU in the game, with the exception of maybe a few characters. We all know that one wouldn't want to face a Sinestro when their main is a character like Hawk Girl, or face an Aqua Man with say Zatanna (I've heard its a bad MU).

I have come to the idea that a player should learn 4 characters in this game IMO, but I was curious what does everyone else think. Obviously some characters may not have many if at all bad MUs or they go pretty even with others. Just curious that is all...

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
For me, 2 characters makes the most sense. You need your main character, and a side character to deal with their bad MUs.

3 characters could be a good choice, but focusing on learning 2 characters very well seems to make more sense than spreading yourself to thin trying to learn another character.

Espio

Kokomo
I think two characters is probably the magic number. I think it's better to have a strong main and secondary than spreading yourself across four or more characters. You might want a secondary that helps with bad match ups, variety/fun or just to get a different perspective on the game, all of which are great reasons.

I feel like when I'm playing more than two my main suffers.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I think two characters is probably the magic number. I think it's better to have a strong main and secondary than spreading yourself across four or more characters. You might want a secondary that helps with bad match ups, variety/fun or just to get a different perspective on the game, all of which are great reasons.

I feel like when I'm playing more than two my main suffers.
I get that feeling as well, It just seems like that characters I tend to settle with wind up having the same bad MUs. I have been running HG and BG for flipping ever, but recently I really took a liking to WW and Zat and really felt that having these 4 under my belt likely would help keep a good amount of doors open during a tourney.

Espio

Kokomo
I get that feeling as well, It just seems like that characters I tend to settle with wind up having the same bad MUs. I have been running HG and BG for flipping ever, but recently I really took a liking to WW and Zat and really felt that having these 4 under my belt likely would help keep a good amount of doors open during a tourney.
If that works for you then by all means go for it, everyone has a different way to approach the game and tournaments as a whole.

It just seems like really mastering match ups becomes much harder when you play a lot of characters because of the character variety there's so many nuances to every match up and special tidbits that are crucial for one of your characters to do well whereas for another character that nuance isn't relevant.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I think at least 3. In my opinion this is a counter picking game. Its more balance than mk9 was overall, but look at at cyborg
for instance. That guy has so many matches where he either goes 7-3, or gets 3-7. Thats why characters like mmh, am, and zod are top tier because they dont fluxuate like that.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
Learn them all, stick with one would probably be ideal. Plus a sub for bad matchups. And a third in case your sub is exposed. And a 4th because habit breaking. Maybe a 5th because of that one character you've always wanted to play but actually feels kinda underpowered but still you vowed to make him good. And a 6th because the character is really strong and braindead easy to pick up but he's too boring to invest a million hours in.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Learn them all, stick with one would probably be ideal. Plus a sub for bad matchups. And a third in case your sub is exposed. And a 4th because habit breaking. Maybe a 5th because of that one character you've always wanted to play but actually feels kinda underpowered but still you vowed to make him good. And a 6th because the character is really strong and braindead easy to pick up but he's too boring to invest a million hours in.
This is basically true

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Hey I'm very sensitive about my "problem".

Seriously though, it depends on who you use.

MMH alone is viable.

GL + Black Adam is viable.

Shazam + Sinestro + Grundy is viable if you want to go that strange route.

That's just to cover matchups, you could also have a few redundant characters to fight certain playstyles.

Basically my answer is:

idk

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I play two characters, but i understand them pretty well. If i used 4 or more characters of course i wouldn't be able to understand them all... So i'm pretty comfortable with 2 characters. I sometimes play a third character just for fun :p

EGP Wonder_Chef

GL is good enough on his own. But either him or Aquaman.

My secondary is Shazam... I only use him for Bane&HG. All other MUs I think I could muscle through.
Well Grundy covers GL's only near unwinnable matchup which is Raven, he covers it well too!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Well Grundy covers GL's only near unwinnable matchup which is Raven, he covers it well too!
Yeah so its like, why play Grundy if you play GL.

Its like, in MK9, I main both Stryker and Cage. I would never throw Stryker out first because Cage is just way better than him.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Yeah so its like, why play Grundy if you play GL.

Its like, in MK9, I main both Stryker and Cage. I would never throw Stryker out first because Cage is just way better than him.
I think Grundy does better than GL in a decent amount of matches, and does just as well as him in a decent amount more.

MMH, Aquaman, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Sinestro, Zod, Raven, Doomsday, Frost, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Ares, Lobo

Those are the MUs I think Grundy does just as well as GL in.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I think Grundy does better than GL in a decent amount of matches, and does just as well as him in a decent amount more.

MMH, Aquaman, Batgirl, Green Arrow, Sinestro, Zod, Raven, Doomsday, Frost, Wonder Woman, The Joker, Ares, Lobo

Those are the MUs I think Grundy does just as well as GL in.
Hm lets see

MMH - Both
Aquaman - Def GL
Batgirl - Grundy
GA - Grundy
Sinestro - Grundy
Zod - GL (too many throw immune shit)
Raven - Grundy
Doomsday - GL
Frost - GL
WW - GL (Grundy too slow!)
Joker - Grundy
Ares - I haven't played Mr. Aquaman yet, so I don't know.
Lobo - Grundy bops him.