What's new

How do you think costumes will work?

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
Do you think that there will be variation specific costumes or will each new costume have a slightly different design based on the variation in which it is used (like D'Vorah has no hood in one, venom in another, etc)? Or will they take another option and have no differences between the costumes with respect to variation? Otherwise just as variations could turn a 24 member cast into almost 72 characters, the same would be true for costumes. Let's say every character gets at least 2 outfits and we're talking possibly 144 costume variations right off the bat, even without DLC.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I hope they get rid of the "slightly different design" and give all the variations the same costumes or a complete different set of costumes for each variation, because that frozen mask for Subzero or the shiny gloves on cassey or the green liquid on Dvorah don't look good at all.

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I don't think there will be variant specific costumes. I think for each costume you'll still be able to distinguish whatever variant they picked. The effects of these variations won't obscure the costumes that much.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
The way things are looking, I don't even think characters will have alternate outfits because alternates would need three variations too.

There might not even be that many DLC outfits. Lets just hope we could at least change the color of the main outfit and I don't mean blue to slightly darker blue. Mirror matches with the same exact character and variation would be a pain in the ass.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
The way things are looking, I don't even think characters will have alternate outfits because alternates would need three variations too.

There might not even be that many DLC outfits. Lets just hope we could at least change the color of the main outfit and I don't mean blue to slightly darker blue. Mirror matches with the same exact character and variation would be a pain in the ass.
I think a lot of people would get pissed if there are no alternate costumes at all.

Mst

Noob
There will most likely be Character packs which add one Skin for each variation kinda like how Costume Packs in Injustice added 3 Costumes except for it will be all for one Character and not for 3 different ones. Would alteast make sense to me.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
If I had to guess, I'd say the alternate costumes will look the same on each variation, but will keep that variation-specific article of clothing.

For example, I think if Cassie Cage has an alt, one stance will still have her little headset, the other her shades, and the last will keep her glowing hands. She'll get new costumes, but keep the Variation-specific items on each specific stance. Same with Scorpion. If he has an alternate costume, the sword variation will keep the swords, the other will keep the skull, etc. Seems like an appropriate solution to me. But that's just my thoughts and speculation.

its probably just slight color variations for the mirror matches

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
If they could do what Soul Calibur has, the option to recolor each character's costume, AND lock whatever costume is chosen so the opponent can't pick it, that'd be great. It seems like too much of a challenge for NRS to offer the whole color palette that SC can offer, but the least they could do if they DO do this, is to have at least 4 or so to pick from like with KI

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
If I had to guess, I'd say the alternate costumes will look the same on each variation, but will keep that variation-specific article of clothing.

For example, I think if Cassie Cage has an alt, one stance will still have her little headset, the other her shades, and the last will keep her glowing hands. She'll get new costumes, but keep the Variation-specific items on each specific stance. Same with Scorpion. If he has an alternate costume, the sword variation will keep the swords, the other will keep the skull, etc. Seems like an appropriate solution to me. But that's just my thoughts and speculation.
Now that I think about it this seems most likely.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I kind of like the frozen mask on Sub, and electricity flowing through Raiden's hat in one. The other his hands etc.

However, I have been wondering about this myself and think they should do the same thing but with various costumes. Example, Say if Raiden has 4 costumes let's say. His MK 1, MK X and I don't know Elder God inspired Costume more garments etc and maybe one without a Hat.

I think they could just do something like in every costume having the hate glow etc.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Each skin will have its own specific variant details.

Take D'Vorah, for example. No matter what skin you use, Brood Mother will have no hood, Swarm Queen will have the insects buzzing around her and Venomous will have the green venom dripping from her. There has to be specific differences in the look of each variation so you can prepare yourself for what to expect. If you somehow miss what variation your opponent picks, you'll be able to tell before the match begins anyway. I love the fact that they're all different.

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
That's probably what they'll do, but it seems a little cheap to me if the only way they'll change the variations for Swarm Queen across variations is to have insects.

The way things are looking, I don't even think characters will have alternate outfits because alternates would need three variations too..
I think they could have the same alternate outfit for all 3 variations. At least in some cases. For example with some variations they just add a glow to the mask/gloves/boots and in other variations they just add/remove some accessories like swords/guns. Point is all those effects and accessories are separate from the costume. So they don't necessarily need 3 different costumes to distinguish the variations.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I think they could have the same alternate outfit for all 3 variations. At least in some cases. For example with some variations they just add a glow to the mask/gloves/boots and in other variations they just add/remove some accessories like swords/guns. Point is all those effects and accessories are separate from the costume. So they don't necessarily need 3 different costumes to distinguish the variations.
That's a really good point. Its mostly accessories like a hood, a weapon, or an effect.

Thinking about it now I think you might be right on the money with that speculation.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Lets just hope they all work properly this time. Scorpion's MK1 alt in MK9 still bugs me when he wins a round. Also, I swear Nightwolf's stupid wolf cape had a fucking mind of its own.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Like I said to someone else it will be the same looking costume on every variation (Perhaps with a very small change and in certain variations the particles that surround a character are there)

For example there's a variation of D'vorah with her hood down and the others have it one, but one of the ones with it up she is surrounded by lots of wasps, so we'll see the alt costume with all the flies on that one but on the other one where there may be a different particle effect with the same costume. I doubt the costume will look different on variations, mainly just particles.