What's new

Question How do I fight Superman?

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
So I realized I don't even have a game plan against Superman anymore . What do I do to open him up? I feel like he's always either holding back or jumping back do I throw out a flying uppercut and hope that it would hit, jump one what? Haven't felt this lost since I first started fighting against aqua man all the time. Anyone have any good match videos against Superman? Can you please post them?

@HoneyBee
@Zyphox
@SidTheHaze

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I know this is old footage but it's still pretty good

Also, I had a few games against KDZ from TFC top 16.

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/577132416

Go to 6:10:00

@Jim After re-watching the games against Abyss, I wouldn't recommend using that as a source of info for the neutral game. This was online so obviously there's no real footsies/whiff punishing and it's more about making reads on when I can LC or not. Also, Abyss zoned a lot and was predictable with it. If I were to play that match now I would have gone about it totally differently. These games are more useful for setups more than anything else lol. He would do F23 Laser beam which can be punished and interrupted before the MB even comes out.

Against Superman, you always need to take advantage of when you have him knocked down. Ending a combo in B22F3 RMS forward and then doing D12 will beat wakeup breath and will cause rising grab to whiff. The rising grab can then be punished if you time a D12 as soon as he lands.

In the neutral game, jumping back occasionally or neutral jumping is a great way to punish a whiffed F23. If he likes to jump back a lot when he's in front of your face punish it with a Flying Uppercut and convert into a full combo. D2 is also a great move because it goes under his F23.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
d2 if he likes to f23 a lot. mb f3 beats all of his wake ups except for mb superman punch.......he's pretty free on knock down.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
This is a very footsie based mu, you want to limit your dashing in the neutral game. Try throwing out faints to get Superman to throw out F23 so you can whiff punish. Play patient and learn how to not get blown up by his zoning. Use his shake evade move and work your way in to footsie range. This a pretty honest MU were both players are constantly trying to out footsie eachother.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
I know this is old footage but it's still pretty good

Also, I had a few games against KDZ from TFC top 16.

http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork/b/577132416

Go to 6:10:00

@Jim After re-watching the games against Abyss, I wouldn't recommend using that as a source of info for the neutral game. This was online so obviously there's no real footsies/whiff punishing and it's more about making reads on when I can LC or not. Also, Abyss zoned a lot and was predictable with it. If I were to play that match now I would have gone about it totally differently. These games are more useful for setups more than anything else lol. He would do F23 Laser beam which can be punished and interrupted before the MB even comes out.

Against Superman, you always need to take advantage of when you have him knocked down. Ending a combo in B22F3 RMS forward and then doing D12 will beat wakeup breath and will cause rising grab to whiff. The rising grab can then be punished if you time a D12 as soon as he lands.

In the neutral game, jumping back occasionally or neutral jumping is a great way to punish a whiffed F23. If he likes to jump back a lot when he's in front of your face punish it with a Flying Uppercut and convert into a full combo. D2 is also a great move because it goes under his F23.

I watched the set with KDZ as well. Biggest thing I'm seeing is the amount you capitalize when you get in. There isn't a time you aren't doing 50%+ Obviously I'm not as skilled as you but most characters I know how to get in. If I fuck it up once I do get something going is a different story but with Superman I can't seem to get anything going lately either. Ken and I will play this out soon too. I'm sure that will help. He's been leveling up and we haven't been able to play in casuals for like two weeks now.

What do you do when Superman just holds back or jumps back though? He doesn't need to get in unless you have a very healthy life lead. I'd say 90% of our matches Ken starts by holding back and looking for dash in. Then he is out of dash up range, after that if I get in dash in range I'm also in f2 range for him.

One thing I will say is I will start working on the resets. It isn't like I didn't know about them but I've always been a bigger fan of improving my core game first. I knew my losses didn't come from not having enough tricks, but from having a flawed core game. While it is by no means perfect, I think I'm actually ok in there. My other big part is tournament. I play worse (in general not always) in tournament than I do in casuals. Not like I can make an excuse about not having the experience there, I've been playing one each week for a year.

I'll work on the things you mentioned too. We'll see maybe I will get this match figured out one of these days.

Oh and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
@Jim If he just holds back you can just walk him to the corner while staying out of his F2 range. No need to go in all the time. Eventually he will either be in the corner where you want him or he'll come to you which is also fine. If he seems to have a dashing pattern you can punish his dashes with your standing 21 string into full combo as well.

And yeah resets are a huge part of the Flash game IMO. I always try to keep my opponent guessing with what is gonna come next and do my best to be unpredictable.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
pick mmh. as flash all you need to do is pressure him because flash dominates the close up game, learn to d2 his air dash ins and shake his lasers.