What's new

How do DC Comics' readers feel about Injustice: Gods Among Us?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
What is going to happen when you take a comic book series and do them justice by making them a dedicated fighting game? Well, you might draw in quite a few of them in to the fighting game scene... and some for the first time. The team at NetherRealm Studios realized the importance of catering to the comic crowd from day one by working side-by-side with DC Comics. So, they're doing everything they can to satisfy the comic book reader and the fighting game player and hopefully... building something from it. But how do comic book readers feel about Injustice: Gods Among Us' story line and game overall so far? We've gathered several comments from comic book website, "Comic Book Resources" from various articles covering the game and the comic. Comic Book Resources (CBR) is one of, if not, the largest comic book website and forum on the web with over 11 million posts; over 700K respectively dedicated to the DC Universe.

So yeah, how do some of them feel about Injustice you might wonder..? Here are a few comments, mostly positive, some negative, and awesome ideas, dealing with Injustice: Gods Among Us.

aquacover.jpg

All comments taken anonymously from ComicBookResources.com*

Raven:
-wow...i might have to get a game system!

-See the trailer makes me think that they couldn't get "you know who" to voice Raven in this game.

It seems that Raven is more darker than ever in this game, also that a third Teen Titan in the game. Who knows who's next.

-I was always surprised that Raven didn't use her teleportation ability as a defensive move more in the comics.
She could drop enemies off in a different dimension if she wanted to.

"Raven?! What happened to Dr. Light?"
"Dropped him off on the seventh plane of hell."
"...ummm... OK. So I hear there's this great pizza place around here."

-After watching the videos I think I'm gonna jump in and grab this one. I think once I complete the storyline I'll log into XBL and battle other people. Looking forward to it

-Still looks like a great game. She does come off feeling a bit like Storm, though.

Doomsday:
-Did I just see what I saw?

LOL! Awesome!
-Game keeps looking better and better. I just need to go preorder this :)

Sinestro & Hawkgirl:
-Still waiting for Swamp Thing and Animal Man... If Boon's twitter hint was a red herring I'm going to be pissed.

-Sinestro, I get. I mean, I'd still prefer other villains (*coughCheetahcough*), but he makes sense.

Hawkgirl, though? I really hope this doesn't rule out other awesome female heroes like Black Canary, Vixen, or Zatanna.

Quote-yeah, I'd like more female characters and more minorities. Would make sense given DC's (alleged) strive for more diversity. Also more villains, imo (I love DC villains).

I believe there are still 5 more characters left to be announced, w/ some mix of Animal Man/Swamp Thing, Power Girl/Batgirl/Huntress, Lobo, Blue Beetle, and whoever else has been hinted/teased. But yeah, I'd like Vixen (female/minority), Blue Beetle (minority), Cheshire (minority/villain). That'd be cool. Black Canary and Zatanna I like more in general, but I think I'd prefer some more non-white characters.

-I gotta say first I wasn't all for this game.. But after watching some gameplay matches and seeing the character list. I may give it a chance

Story comments:
-Moth of God.

-Hmm, interesting. Can't wait to find out more

-My thoughts exactly. Batman looks good as usual, but everybody else's costumes have way too much going on. This makes the new 52 costumes look simple. How is Flash supposed to run in that thing? I wish they had Wonder Woman's costume that debuted a couple of months ago.
If they have Bane as a playable character they will have my money.

-Batman knocking Grundy through buildings was stupid, but Superman knocking Flash into the upper atmosphere was pure awesome.

-This looks AMAZING!!! HARLEY QUINN IS IN! I AM CROSSING MY FINGERS FOR CATWOMAN, POISON IVY AND SOME OTHER SUPRISES APPEAR!!! DC fighting game is finally here!!!

-This sounds good and I want to see more, but I hope this doesn't go to the dark side. A game where you fight your favorite heroes was done before and I think it was not the best exercise... Quake: X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse anyone?

Kicking the ass of your favorite heroes is not a great thing... but it looks good.

-I haven't played video games since MK vs. DCU, but this looks really really awesome.

-Looks awesome! Hope Lobo is also in this.

-Aside from Harley Quinn being really at odds strength wise compared to the rest of the cast, only problem I have to ask why try to make it that these are evil or morally gray versions of the Justice League if you aren't going to use Earth 3 Crime Syndicate versions instead?

Quote-Maybe that's the twist in the story? A bit of mindswapping going on, or characters switching places/costumes with the Earth 3 counterpoint?

-ugh, a fighting game.. How come it's always a fighting game when it comes to Superheroes slugging it out. I thought when they said Brawler, it would be a action adventure game. I'm still waiting for a game where I can pick a DC hero and explore the DC Universe through their eyes, from Metropolis to Paradise Island, to Apokolisp and beyond.

Quote-NOPE!!!
we comic fans/gamers want dumbed down fights between heroes
I mean come on a hero doing heroic things NO ONE wants to play that
/sarcasm

-There's a strong possibly that an MK character will make a guest appearance in this game. Scorpion and Sub-Zero being the likely candidates
-SO

[Expletive Deleted]

PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPTAIN COLD IS IN THE TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hidden)

man I hope this makes EVO next year
-The game looks pretty cool, but I was hoping the next DC game would've been sort of like Marvel's Ultimate Alliance.

-It appeared two times before. I'll understand if you chose to forget about them
Quote-LOL! I was too excited I didn't even think about them. But I only liked the 16-bit game better but I only liked Catwoman on DC Vs MK though.

-you can be Solomon Grundy!

sweet! i'm sold!

-I usually do not play this kind of games, so maybe someone can explain it to me: How do you deal with the power gap between the characters? I mean no one can even touch Flash etc

-By realising it's a video game and not meant to be taken too seriously. Most people are sensible enough to realise this but a few butthurt nerds like to get riled up over nothing. It was hilarious seeing fanboys raging over Hulk fighting Chris Redfield in one of the MvC3 trailers. The whole point of a good fighting game is to make the roster of characters as balanced as possible.

Unfortunately I'm sure we will see the same thing in this game what with Harley vs Superman etc.

Quote-But then it is not a game with DC characters, but a game with characters who only look like DC characters. I do not care enough to rant about it, but I do not see a reason to buy the game. An epic fight between Superman and Black Adam I would like to play or a hth fight between Batman and Bane, but not Superman vs. Harley.

Quote-They'll explain it in story. Saying "I do not see a reason to buy the game" because the gap in character powers is wide is ridiculous. How about "because the game might be fun"?

-Why keep making fighting games? DC has been long overdue for a nice solid action game. I'm talking one where you can play as multiple heroes, since the recent Batman games were good.

EDIT: Now to discuss the problems with power gaps in games like these. I completely understand why they don't take that into account, they want you to be able to beat the game with all of the available characters. That said, I've always hoped that eventually games like this with come with an alternate "realism" mode that could be turned on. One that takes into account the power gaps. I know that is probably never likely to happen, but I can dream..

Quote-That'd be great. I'd love to play a Superman Vs. Green Arrow round in the old Justice League Task Force game with that setting on. You could get a snack while the computer wastes its health hitting you...

-But then I do not need to buy this game, because there is no real difference to other fighting games, it is just a fighting game with DC skins. I have a certain knowledge of the DC universe and even if details change in certain media there still some things which stay more or less the same. Superman is Superman and Harley is Harley. Superman might be weaker in some of his incarnations (e.g. DCAU), but he is still Superman.

Like I said I do not care enough to rant about it. I am not a big fan of fighting games, but I would buy a good fighting game with DC setting, which stays more or less true to the DCU. I will wait and see, but if the characters really are equal in power, then I rather spend my money on a game in a genre I really like.

-I know a this guy maybe seem to be a really weird charcter to put into a DC Fighting game but from what i heard..his series is awesome so..why not include him in Injustice:Gods Among Men

Swamp Thing
Also, one idea that I read about that sounds amazing...

"That said, I've always hoped that eventually games like this with come with an alternate "realism" mode that could be turned on. One that takes into account the power gaps. I know that is probably never likely to happen, but I can dream.."

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Are these comments recent, or are they just not staying abreast of the updates? Catwoman was confirmed last year. I was also expecting a comment about "power gaps" and this forum did not disappoint, but you can't really get mad at them since they don't understand how fighting games work. In their minds, it makes sense for Superman to be incredibly overpowered and untouchable because canon is law to them, but we know that balance has to exist for a fighting game to be competitively viable.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
MAAAAAAAAN I'M STOKED! Maybe I can get some of the dudes at my comic book shop to join the scene and stuff, and then I can grows as a players.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Are these comments recent, or are they just not staying abreast of the updates? Catwoman was confirmed last year. I was also expecting a comment about "power gaps" and this forum did not disappoint, but you can't really get mad at them since they don't understand how fighting games work. In their minds, it makes sense for Superman to be incredibly overpowered and untouchable because canon is law to them, but we know that balance has to exist for a fighting game to be competitively viable.
They were all taken recently. You have to consider the fact that most of these comments are coming from people who do NOT play fighting games or games at all so they are naturally behind on news for this game. They're comic book readers and fans. However, some of them, like the one for example said they might have to buy a system just for this game.

Shady

Noob
As a DC comic book reader I feel great about this. I always felt like Marvel had received a lot of pop culture treatment while DC lagged outside of Batman and Superman. It's just too uneven between two franchises. My biggest fear was that the roster would be a gallery of Batman and Superman villains and characters with no chance for others to shine.

Story wise, I'd have to wait and play through it to see what NRS cooked up. That will be the first mode I play before hitting the lab. I just want to see what they came up with (I beat MK story in the first day after launch).

I like character designs choices they revealed so far. I think they've put a lot of thought into who they put in the game and how to accurately represent them.

My favorite DC villain and hero are both in (Flash was always a given, but the Sinestro reveal made me sweat) and I'm happy. We'll see how it goes. But I think they've done a good job, much better than Capcom in actually bringing these characters to life with a bit more depth.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
They were all taken recently. You have to consider the fact that most of these comments are coming from people who do NOT play fighting games or games at all so they are naturally behind on news for this game. They're comic book readers and fans. However, some of them, like the one for example said they might have to buy a system just for this game.
I get that, I was just wondering.

SRP

Noob
As a DC comic fan, I actually read the weekly Injustice comics. Only digital comic I purchase right now. I had planned on getting it since it was announced but seeing the story in the comics, just sealed the pre-order for me. I took 6 days off from work for this game. It would be nice to see some LCS set up a TV and a system on Free Comic book day on May 4th so people could play and test it out.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I been a comics fan for 20+ years now and I love what NRS and DC did with Injustice. I have been reading the books leading up to the game and it's really one of the top stories based on DC characters imo. I do think some of the roster choices were dumb but w/e it's their game I just want to play it.

Reactions: SRP

ShowboatingPenguin

Nothing gets past the Cold Field.
IT'S LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING GOOD GAME!

Despite Captain Cold not being in the game (hope he's at least DLC, but i doubt it)

SRP

Noob
I will also say that Injustice brought me to this site. I played most fighting games casually, but knew nothing about the competitive side, such as tournaments or who the top players were. I think this game could help bridge that gap for both sides. I look forward to being more involved in this game, than other fighting games in the past. I'm even switching from a pad to the arcade stick for this game.

ninjay

Noob
I will also say that Injustice brought me to this site. I played most fighting games casually, but knew nothing about the competitive side, such as tournaments or who the top players were. I think this game could help bridge that gap for both sides. I look forward to being more involved in this game, than other fighting games in the past. I'm even switching from a pad to the arcade stick for this game.
Smart. If you start on stick with a new game, the easier it is to convert!

Reactions: SRP

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
A lot of comic book fans have been bitching about Superman's actions in the Injustice comic. People need to get over the fact that this is NRS's story.

And besides who the hell wouldn't crack after what the Joker did, he's Superman, not Invulnerableman, he should be allowed to crack.

Reedoms

Noob
A lot of comic book fans have been bitching about Superman's actions in the Injustice comic. People need to get over the fact that this is NRS's story.

And besides who the hell wouldn't crack after what the Joker did, he's Superman, not Invulnerableman, he should be allowed to crack.
I'm more concerned with Wonder Woman than Superman. She sure quickly hopped aboard the fascist train.

MisterSpyker

The 6'4 King
I would love a realism mode... Man, imagine playing with Batman and having to try to beat all those super powerful foes like a Superman that kills you in one hit and has like quadruple health points! That would be a really fun mode. Or a Flash that moves at triple the speed of every other character, and when you're the one playing him, the other guy moves like at 1/3 of the normal speed. That would be such an awesome feature. A Bane that doesn't flinch when hit... These are really awesome ideas and they sound extremely easy to implement... Just a bit of tweaking on the values and a new mode. I'd love this.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Comicvine is also arguably the biggest comicbook site out there as much as any other and must say, a ton of DC mainstream readers are loving this Injustice arch. I even read one guy said " more DC stories should be like this, and I prefer Marvel over DC typically"

And we all know DC and Marvel fans mix as well as SF and MK fans lol...so that's saying a lot.

As a DC comic guy myself, I LOVE this story. It's darker, more serious then a lot of other stories(especially Marvel archs typically) This is a great story and I'm sure the game will be just as great.

I think i'd be the reverse of alot of these people. I have been obsessed with this game and in the wait, i've started to read a bunch of DC comics. Never read comics before, and i might get some hate from comic readers for this, but the old comics and the art styles are just not good. I've really liked the New 52 stuff though.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
As a comic fan first and fighting game amateur second, I am obviously very interested in the game. It seems like it has some Crime Society of America/Justice Lords going on, it has it's own spin on the age old, and often done, question "What if Superman just did whatever the hell he wanted?"

There are a lot of characters missing though, as a comic fan that sort of stings a bit, it's hard as a fan to appreciate what you've been given when there is something you desperately want more, but hey, this is why they invented DLC. However the game looks fantastic/doesn't play like ass like MKvsDC. DC has needed a proper fighting game for a while, this and the launch of their new game based on Crisis of Infinite Earths has me extremely stoked.

Only thing that still has me annoyed as a comic fan is Killer Frost, it would appear DC loves promoting/putting her in games but for the life of me I can't understand why, they never seem to do anything with her in the comic after promoting her and it's frustrating.