What's new

Question - Mileena How are we opening opponents up?

He dropped her day 1. He explained on his twitch stream why he thinks Mileena isn't tournament viable. His twitch is ZSonicFox.
I'll be honest, it's his loss for dropping her especially day one. Anyone dropping characters day one sounds foolish to me. Mileena is my strongest character right now and I've only been using her for around a week now. With this recent patch she could have even more potential, too.

Someone mentioned it earlier, if you're using Mileena as strictly rush down and playing YOLO with her, you're not using her right. Be patient and wait for your opponent to make a mistake or use her 50/50 successfully.

She is punishable but she's also very good imo. Once you get in your opponents head with her, it gets real fun. Anyway, just my two cents. I'll stick with her regardless

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
I'll be honest, it's his loss for dropping her especially day one. Anyone dropping characters day one sounds foolish to me. Mileena is my strongest character right now and I've only been using her for around a week now. With this recent patch she could have even more potential, too.

Someone mentioned it earlier, if you're using Mileena as strictly rush down and playing YOLO with her, you're not using her right. Be patient and wait for your opponent to make a mistake or use her 50/50 successfully.

She is punishable but she's also very good imo. Once you get in your opponents head with her, it gets real fun. Anyway, just my two cents. I'll stick with her regardless
Sonic Fox is by no means foolish for dropping her especially since he was play testing her long before the game was even released and it's not his lose seeing as he has taken 3 tournaments with little trouble with Erron Black. Mileena does not have a 50/50 and the rest of her options which you have to go all in are easily block low to high and leave you very punishable. This hangman strategy may work will online namely because 85% of people playing online are causals but in tournament play where you encounter good players and their characters who easily outclass Mileena with better zoning, footies, corner carry, true 50/50's, pressure, damage, and comeback potential that hangman strategy goes out the window especially if you don't have the life lead. I love Mileena but I'm not going to BS myself that Mileena isn't a poorly thought out character with no real gameplay strategy. I'm not trying to sound like a **** so please don't take it that way.

"Long before the game came out" is incorrect. All of the fatal 8 guys had not even a week to get the game down before the first match of the tournament.

I stand by saying foolish. Mix ups are not the only reason ANY character is good or bad. 90% relies on the player and how smart they play.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
"Long before the game came out" is incorrect. All of the fatal 8 guys had not even a week to get the game down before the first match of the tournament.

I stand by saying foolish. Mix ups are not the only reason ANY character is good or bad. 90% relies on the player and how smart they play.
In the training room for 72 hours straight isn't long? MK character are not complicated. I never said 50/50's are the only reason a character is good or bad. I did however name a number of things that makes a character good. Sonic not investing any more time into Mileena is foolish it's not like there's a rule that states he's obligated too and it's payed off seeing as he has won 3 tournaments with Erron Black. He gave a very detailed breakdown of Mileena on stream he didn't just write her off without a reason. Also 90% yeah MK9 Baraka says otherwise it's more like 40% - 50% no matter what fighting game you play the characters have limits period and that's why character balancing exists. In any case this dispute is taking the post off topic and I'll leave it alone.

Last edited:
In the training room for 72 hours straight isn't long? MK character are not complicated. I never said 50/50's are the only reason a character is good or bad. I did however name a number of things that makes a character good. Sonic not investing any more time into Mileena is foolish it's not like there's a rule that states he's obligated too and it's payed off seeing as he has won 3 tournaments with Erron Black. He gave a very detailed breakdown of Mileena on stream he didn't just write her off without a reason. Also 90% yeah MK9 Baraka says otherwise it's more like 40% - 50% no matter what fighting game you play the characters have limits period and that's why character balancing exists. In any case this dispute is taking the post off topic and I'll leave it alone.
Are you just trying to make sense or "win" something here? This thread is for talk on Mileena and her gameplay and how we need to use her. 72 hours isn't "long before" and no he's not obligated to play her. Honestly I don't care who he plays. Point is she isn't a bad character. Whoever disagrees can play someone else for all I care. Do you have anything to add to helping her players or are you just going to follow Sonic and his choice?

Don't get it twisted, Sonic is a great player. That's not a debate. Mileena is a great character, and that IS up in debate for some reason.

Stop talking about 50/50s. She doesn't have any outside of midstring meter use. She can't hit you with an overhead starter. If you are landing overhead starters, you are playing online against someone that doesn't know the matchup yet.

You need to use her as a footsie character, which pretty much means your best choice for doing this is limited to one variation. The problem is, there are characters that have better mixup starters that are also better at footsies. B12 and F23 are good strings in neutral, but Cassie's B12 is better, Reptiles F21 is better, Raiden's F12B2 is WAY better. just as a couple examples of characters that have good footsies (there are certainly more) but also have vastly supeior mixup games.

If you awant to play a rush down mixuper, Millena isn't the best choice. But on the flipside, if you want to play a spacing control / neutral and foostsies based character, she is also not the best choice. Why pick that when you can choose someone who does both? Teleport not being punishable on hit is awesome, but outside of character loyalty there is still no reason to pick her. If B12 made her jump forward and gave her even more range it would be better, considering there are characters with safe mid strings that can hit you from damn near 3/4 of the screen away.

Fighting games tend to begin and end with normals. Her lack of meterless 50/50s is an issue but not THE issue, imo. The two lunging starters she has (F2,3 and Piercing B1,2) are great, but some of her strings look like she's dancing in place, lol.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
Are you just trying to make sense or "win" something here? This thread is for talk on Mileena and her gameplay and how we need to use her. 72 hours isn't "long before" and no he's not obligated to play her. Honestly I don't care who he plays. Point is she isn't a bad character. Whoever disagrees can play someone else for all I care. Do you have anything to add to helping her players or are you just going to follow Sonic and his choice?

Don't get it twisted, Sonic is a great player. That's not a debate. Mileena is a great character, and that IS up in debate for some reason.
I'm trying to explain how the actual tournament play works. Win what exactly? This thread about what options Mileena has that can open people up for combos. You understand what long before means right? I watch Sonic Fox, Perfect Legend, and Justin Wong time to time because they are a reliable source for valid information on match-ups and what kombos strings I should be on the look out for on different characters and for your information I still to this day am a loyalist to Mileena (Ravenous) and I've added 8 different people on here to my PSN account and sat with them in the training room. I don't make posts if that's what your asking but I do however come to this site every now and again and glance over them and help people if I can. So how exactly am I following Sonic and his choice by answering someone else's question if he still play's Mileena or not? Feel free to review the earlier posts. Mileena is a questionable good character with a questionable playstyle. Do I think Mileena is bad **** no (except for Ethereal) however I do believe she needs a push with a legit gameplay strategy and not this turtling let your opponent hang himself nonsense.