What's new

How about a gameplay critique thread?

We have match play videos, how about video footage to critique and give advice? No trash talking, just posting videos asking for advice to help critique and advance skills.

I want to get better with unmasked sub. I'll post some footage later on.

Good idea?

I got some footage this weekend I'll upload tonight. Remember, I'm *maybe* high level with Human Smoke, and possibly Ermac. So I'm just learning this guy, keep that in mind. Although I wish I would have had some footage from when I played @lilhustlachris92 last week, according to him my Sub is "very aggressive"

Crap. Will post tonight or tomorrow.

Surprised no one else has posted. Not sure if it's because everyone thinks they're good enough, or have the mentality 'no one can tell me anything', or are afraid of what they'll hear.

Also more insulting than critiquing.

here you go @AK Juggs - not sure who else would be interested at this point. I've played a lot of matches but these were against a high level player so that's better for review.

Unmasked Sub played at 0:00, 14:40, 21:05, and 23:43. (i'm player 2 obviously)

nwo

Noob
@tehdrewsus This was my first time playing after a 2 week break, I literally didn't even test my controls vs the CPU before our first match. It's not really a big deal, but I think it was the most consecutive days off I've taken in like 2-3 years. Which is sad lol.

I also suck with Shang (unless I morph), Reptile, Nightwolf, and my Jax is off now. I wasn't finishing his auto combo and I was paying the price horribly vs your h.Smoke, you were walking in for a free pop up. I got a lot better with Kabal this year, but I still barely use him.

Btw, the performance on this site is so bad that I could barely even view this thread to post a comment. Strange.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
here you go @AK Juggs - not sure who else would be interested at this point. I've played a lot of matches but these were against a high level player so that's better for review.

Unmasked Sub played at 0:00, 14:40, 21:05, and 23:43. (i'm player 2 obviously)

I'll take a better look at when I have the time. I'd much rather analyze shorter videos, so if you want specific match analyses, please post up the time stamps. If the ones with uSub are the ones you want me to watch, lemme know.

I'll take a better look at when I have the time. I'd much rather analyze shorter videos, so if you want specific match analyses, please post up the time stamps. If the ones with uSub are the ones you want me to watch, lemme know.
While I didn't post specific time stamp links, I obviously posted the times where sub was used. LOL

@nwo this wasn't a "look how awesome I am" video, simply asking to critique my performance as subzero.

I kind of figured from the beginning this thread would be a fiasco.

Reactions: nwo

dubson

Noob
Unmasked Sub looked pretty solid to me @tehdrewsus

In general, your defense is super solid, and U Sub is a very defensive character by design. I do, however, think your offense with him needs a little work, more specifically your rush down. You tend to depend too much on his defensive game, while losing any and all offense at times. You seemed to get comfortable just playing defensive and baiting/punishing… lacking offensive pressure. You became a little predictable at times as well, using the same combos and mix-ups over and over in the same situations. Try and mix up your offense/block strings/run jabs (you lacked here) a little more.

Nightwolf can be a touch match-up for Sub-Zero in general, but try and limit your horizontal freezes against him, as a big part of his game will be to try and bait those and reflect them, punish, for big damage. Try and be unpredictable with the horizontal freezes, he was clearly waiting for you to throw them at times. I would base much more of my game on the vertical freeze and ice clone against him.

Kung Lao… hey… doesn't really matter who ya are… if the guy touches you once, you Could be dead.

In general, I would say your U Sub looked great, though. Keep grinding.

Unmasked Sub looked pretty solid to me @tehdrewsus

In general, your defense is super solid, and U Sub is a very defensive character by design. I do, however, think your offense with him needs a little work, more specifically your rush down. You tend to depend too much on his defensive game, while losing any and all offense at times. You seemed to get comfortable just playing defensive and baiting/punishing… lacking offensive pressure. You became a little predictable at times as well, using the same combos and mix-ups over and over in the same situations. Try and mix up your offense/block strings/run jabs (you lacked here) a little more.

Nightwolf can be a touch match-up for Sub-Zero in general, but try and limit your horizontal freezes against him, as a big part of his game will be to try and bait those and reflect them, punish, for big damage. Try and be unpredictable with the horizontal freezes, he was clearly waiting for you to throw them at times. I would base much more of my game on the vertical freeze and ice clone against him.

Kung Lao… hey… doesn't really matter who ya are… if the guy touches you once, you Could be dead.

In general, I would say your U Sub looked great, though. Keep grinding.
Thanks man. Very helpful!!

@AK Juggs , anyone else feel free to chime in