What's new

Hoverboard on Kickstarter

C-Sword

Noob

The current prototype of the Hendo – the company’s 18th – will hover about 3cm off the ground carrying up to 140kg (about two people) for around 15 minutes. It uses a strong magnetic field to repulse a ground-based material and float in the same way maglev trains operate. That means that Hendo will only float over floors made of non-ferrous metals such as copper or aluminium; this is no skateboard for flying down to the local supermarket, or around the town square hoiked to the back of a pickup truck.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/21/marty-mcfly-hoverboard-available-on-kickstarter

GGA Max

Hmmm, very fun idea. I wonder how it propels itself. I would guess you could probably propel yourself like an actual skateboard. It looked like they had a controller at some point.

When he was on the half-pipe it was cool he wasn't experiencing much friction, maybe just air resistance, which isn't much... would magnetic field cause any friction?

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Hmmm, very fun idea. I wonder how it propels itself. I would guess you could probably propel yourself like an actual skateboard. It looked like they had a controller at some point.

When he was on the half-pipe it was cool he wasn't experiencing much friction, maybe just air resistance, which isn't much... would magnetic field cause any friction?
I'm an English Lit\Law major, so I could be wrong, but I think the only friction would be directly from the board and the air.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
The article mentioned that this tech could be incorporated into heavier loads. The patent is still pending, so they might be holding off on outsourcing the engine as of now
I can only imagine how expensive they would be
electric cars are hella expensive because of the power source, I suppose the same is true for this