What's new

HMK Episode 15 - VS Fighting Recap Show w/ UsedForGlue, A F0xy Grampa & ED's UndeadJim

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Fresh off one of the biggest MKX tournaments in the UK we sit down to discuss last weeks VS fighting as well as some other topics regarding the game. Special appearence by @A F0xy Grampa and @UsedForGlue for the first time on the show, usual stuff is below:

MP3 Version

Topics.

Start - VSF Review
30:00 - 12 Gauge and UndeadJim air their woes on the uphill struggle of playing Jax
1:37:00 - Bonus Jacqui Briggs discussion
1:31:00 - What makes plus frames matter in MKX?
1:42:00 - Stamina gauge discussion.
1:56:00 - Thoughts and expectations on what the next patch will bring.

@theGabStandard @PND i2 Gaug3 @PND OmegaK @PND_Ketchup @PND_Mustard @Youphemism @Undeadjim @JustinXavier21 @SMASHOFDOOM @Falkunn @SneakyTortoise

@any UK gentlemen I have forgotten, I'm sorry my memory is so free :)

Attachments

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I just finished watching VSF top 8 and holy shit that last match in GF...

Not sure if you got that or not but when Jim was referring to Kano's meterless damage he meant Cutthroat, F212 is a Cutthroat-specific string.

You want Jacqui to have a FASTER standing 1 JTB?! It's 6 bloody frames already lmao, just give it more reach so we can pressure after F12 on block for example. The fact that even misses is insane.

What's that scrubs? Your backdashes suck and your anti-airs suck? Sorry I can't empathise, pick better characters :p

Also to the Jax players, what about Jax's standing 1 for anti-air?

Shame I couldn't come to VSF, hopefully next year :(

JTB123

@Youphemism Did I say faster? If so that was a mistake, the only thing her S1 needs is more horizontal range so it can punish moves and strings that it currently doesn't reach.

JTB123

Does the Briggs family need a special episode to air their greivances with each other? Why did Jax not teach his daughter the importance of good mids and projectile cancels, it's clear Jax wanted another path for his daughter, he wanted her to learn from his mistakes and not make a living through violence.

@JustinXavier21 @PND i2 Gaug3 @Undeadjim

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Remember when Jax was considered top tier, again? Good times. Also, bodied by small hitboxes, again.

NBO_7

Noob
27 to 34 against female characters and 37+ to the rest

i really wonder what combos do u guys use ., i only saw tyrant combos and i think its really consistent even when i'm playing online

Shame though he has to spend a bar of meter as well as his stamina for this damage

JustinXavier21

The rose that grew from concrete
I get very suspicious when a Jacqui player thinks FA is her strongest variation. Makes me think guns aren't being punished consistently. If you're playing against 90% of the cast and you're able to fire Machine Guns or Up Rockets at mid screen, you need a better training partner...Shotgun is categorically the only good way to play her right now...followed by HT.

But I'll show ya why at some point!

JTB123

I get very suspicious when a Jacqui player thinks FA is her strongest variation. Makes me think guns aren't being punished consistently. If you're playing against 90% of the cast and you're able to fire Machine Guns or Up Rockets at mid screen, you need a better training partner...Shotgun is categorically the only good way to play her right now...followed by HT.

But I'll show ya why at some point!
Mid screen is where low rocket can be used which is only -1 on block though. Phosferrax, Jim and Gabe do blow me for trying cheeky machine guns, aside from read based AA's up rocket is mainly a combo tool when I use her or something to use when I am at a safe distance due its fast recovery. EX rocket is insanely plus so if they do block that you can do whatever you want afterwards and her corner game is very scary.

@Phosferrax Has also started playing Jacqui a bit, what are your thoughts on her best variation?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Mid screen is where low rocket can be used which is only -1 on block though. Phosferrax, Jim and Gabe do blow me for trying cheeky machine guns, aside from read based AA's up rocket is mainly a combo tool when I use her or something to use when I am at a safe distance due its fast recovery. EX rocket is insanely plus so if they do block that you can do whatever you want afterwards and her corner game is very scary.

@Phosferrax Has also started playing Jacqui a bit, what are your thoughts on her best variation?
FA because it's the only one that can be comfortable at any range on the screen. Obviously some mu's don't allow for fullscreen game but I don't think that's where FA shines anyway. I think too much emphasis is being up on a zoning playstyle, and the fact that people can whiff punish guns.

SG might be alright too, but you lose the strong tool that is machine gun, and her great anti-air + damage.

JustinXavier21

The rose that grew from concrete

Remember this is all based on intensive offline play. I think online, FA is pretty good. I'm telling you this based on 4 months of solid research; play anyone who genuinely knows the match-up (not just a good player, a player that genuinely knows the match-up) and it will change your opinion immediately. FA categorically has no place in high level MKX and can at best work against an intermediate level player.

Low rocket is 100% jumpable on reaction for a full punish. Not sometimes; 100% of the time. It has no use whatsoever in the neutral against any player who knows the match-up because it will never be blocked there.

Up-rocket being +11 is useless because she has nothing to jail you standing with. It's not even a discussion point - the few things that actually force an exUp Rocket block lose to almost every D3 in the game or don't combo on hit.

That said, her corner game is good, just not sustainable. Guess right, great damage, guess wrong and it's your opponents turn.

SG is legit though and totally viable.

@Phosferrax - agreed, FA has to be played quite dynamically and is strongest up-close (because she does no damage at any other range unless the guy is a totally idiot and jumps).

Also, I hereby put out an open challenge to any FA Jacqui players to play me offline against my SG...the sooner I can dispel the myth, the sooner we can get her where she needs to be.