What's new

Guide General Zod Community Combo Guide

RizRaz

Errons with combos - always hot.
(Trait Active)
f21, Close MB Ground Blast, trait, trait, trait, db4, Fully Charged Ground Blast, B3, J3, 3 xx Zod Charge - 52%
f21, Close MB Ground Blast, trait, trait, trait, db4, dash, b3, j3, f213 xx Zod Charge - 50%
f21, Close MB Ground Blast, trait, trait, trait, db4, dash, b3, j3, 3 xx Zod Charge - 49%

Daniel Aiden

Unknown-Member31
this is a trait setup: hard knockdown , activate trait , mb ground laser ( if the opponent jumps , trait grab then combo ) if he walk back to avoid the trait he will be hit by ground laser . if he block low to avoid the ground laser use trait command grab then full combo .
combos that I use : ( if he is hit by the ground laser ) 4 , 4 , trait grab , b3 , j2 , f123 , bf2 . 46 %
( if he jump or try to block the laser ) trait grab , b3, j2, f123 , bf 3 mb

Two combos that I love that I actually made myself, rather than searching online for any tips:

46% - ji2,F21xxDB2B MB, ji3, F213xxBF3 MB (I'm assuming the 'xx' means immediately after the original inputs)
60% - Trait, ji3, Trait, F213, Trait, F2xxSuper

Kiu

Winds Of Madness
Any timing tips on getting the last two 3's to connect in that Kickball Loop you guys came up with. I can get the starter, and two 3's but after the second the trait always whiffs.

You have to do it relatively quick, contrary to how slow the input might seem. You're timing the juggles to start so that you get the highest possible juggle, which is the tricky part to getting the combo.

Yojimzo

One of many Bat-Breakers.
*flips through the topic* Jesus, I think I'll wait a few days then do a updated version of my vid with whatever's in the OP at the time, this speed of discovery be ridiculous yo.

Timedrop

Noob
Anyone else noticed that on FOS in the Menagerie by the stage transition in the corner that if you use Zod's super the screen blackens? Got a win off of a guy earlier because literally nothing could be seen but health bars and meters. By the time the screen returns Zod has already grabbed the opponent

I think we should start compiling the optimal combo structures (starters, links, and enders) for max damage and for setups.

Edit: Realized what a wall-o-text I posted, and figured I should spoiler tag it. See below for my "guide"!

It seems to me that the best ender on a standard launch combo is (f2, 123~zod charge) for damage or (f2, 123~trait) for setups. The timing is a little tight, but it's easily learnable with a little practice.

The next thing is that, in general, the MB ground blast is the best linker for most combos, since it scales less than the MB rifle. The exception to this MIGHT be when you are linking multiple rifle shots in a single combo, since you need the higher launch and slower fall. I'm not sure about this, though, and need more lab time. It should be noted, however, that juggling your opponent BEFORE the MB ground blast changes the combo. If your opponent is launched by the MBgb, then you can get a b3 off. If they are launched before the MBgb, then you have to do a ji3.

Starters are more obvious. Without meter, you're going to get by far the most damage out of f21u2~air rifle. With meter, f21 seems most damaging, while 112 and d12 are the quickest punishers, and 213 is your safe overhead. However, I suspect b12 has some hidden properties that need more examination.

With Trait, the situation is a bit different. You either need to generate a juggle really quickly via 3 or f213, or you need to meter burn. If you get the quick juggle, then you go into the Kickball Loop. If you get the meter burn, you need to use the swipe, swipe, swipe, grab setup to bring them down to earth.

Finally, in the corner, there's no reason to really go for anything other than rifle combos. They're meterless, do high damage, and are repetitive enough that you're unlikely to drop them. Basically, you just want to get a juggle into an air slow rifle, then an air mid rifle, then an air fast rifle, into ender.

So having said all that, I THINK the most optimal combos right now are as follows (note that these are meant to provide examples of his combo structure to be extended to other combos):

Meterless:
f21u2~db1b, ji2~db1, dash, 123~bf2/4 - 38%/Wraith

1 Bar:
f21~db2 MB, dash, b3, ji3, f2, 123~bf2/4 - 44%/Wraith
f213~db2 MB, ji3, f2, 123~bf2/4 - 42%/Wraith

Trait:
f21~db2 MB, 4, 4, 4, d4, db2 (hold), B3, J3, 3~bf2 - 52%
j3, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 12~bf2 - 55%

Corner:
f21u2~db1b, j2~db1, j2~db1f, f2, 123~bf2/4 - 43%/Wraith

There's one other set of combos that are really important to Zod's game, and those are his ranged combo starters--especially using his Wraith: Mr. Snuggles. If you end one of his combos with 123~4, you have a full-screen guessing game that's way in Zod's favor. From 123~4, you can do one of several options:

a. Ground laser (hold)
b. Wraith grab
c. Rifle (air or ground, MB or regular, slow mid or fast)

The latter two options are simpler and more obvious. The grab is an overhead that leads to full combo. The rifle is mostly a deterrent that keeps your opponent from charging or jumping in, forcing them to sit in your "vortex" for a while. Where the magic happens is with the ground laser.

When you hold the ground laser, your opponent has to make a quick guess and, if you have decent reactions, you can react to their choice. You can stuff ground movement by releasing the button for the explosion or meter burning the laser, or you can blow up the low block with the overhead grab from Mr. Snuggles. You can also have Snuggles smack them if they try to jump or use one of their own moves. If they have an option for fast forward movement (air or ground), you can dash (back or forward) out of the ground laser and have Snuggles grab them for combo. Another great option for additional mind games is to shoot your ground laser a bit in front of them and THEN meter burn it so it moves toward them. So having said all that, I submit that the following two combos are perhaps Zod's most important options, since they allow for ~40-45% combos from a full-screen vortex with his trait out:

d4, dash, db2 (full charge), b3, ji3, 123~bf2 - 39%
db2 MB 4, 4, d4, b3, ji3, 123~bf2 - 46%

Note that you can also do the second combo (without the ground laser) if your opponent gets hit by a rifle shot:
[rifle shot launches], 4, 4, d4, b3, ji3, 123~bf2 - 42%

So there's my attempt to start consolidating Zod's combo options!

BlacR3ap3r

I WILL SPIT ON YOUR TOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone else noticed that on FOS in the Menagerie by the stage transition in the corner that if you use Zod's super the screen blackens? Got a win off of a guy earlier because literally nothing could be seen but health bars and meters. By the time the screen returns Zod has already grabbed the opponent
yea it goes black just for the initial hit of the super and then goes back to normal when the super animation starts.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
http://testyourmight.com/threads/finishing-combos-with-123-xx.35105/

Sorry champ, beat you to it for the 123 xx Wraith set up tech. Also compiling a list of what options are safe against what characters. I'm toying with new set ups like 123 xx Slow Rifle, 123 xx Wraith MB B3 to chew through a baited wake up attack and 123 xx Wraith NJ Late J3 to beat baited advancing wake ups like Doomsday charge. 123 xx definitely leads to a LOT of crazy set up opportunities depending on what you want to do.

*flips through the topic* Jesus, I think I'll wait a few days then do a updated version of my vid with whatever's in the OP at the time, this speed of discovery be ridiculous yo.
Honestly, it's because this character has CRAZY potential. It's not like your Green Lantern labbing where all his optimal stuff was worked out on day one, Zod definitely rewards those who put time and imagination into their labbing. Got some ideas from posts in this thread, and I've got some unlisted high execution combos coming in a combo video I'm working on. Some of this shit looks like it belongs in Marvel, it's pretty awesome.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/finishing-combos-with-123-xx.35105/

Sorry champ, beat you to it for the 123 xx Wraith set up tech. Also compiling a list of what options are safe against what characters. I'm toying with new set ups like 123 xx Slow Rifle, 123 xx Wraith MB B3 to chew through a baited wake up attack and 123 xx Wraith NJ Late J3 to beat baited advancing wake ups like Doomsday charge. 123 xx definitely leads to a LOT of crazy set up opportunities depending on what you want to do.
Er... ok. I was just trying to compile useful info into one place for people. Not really worried about who came up with what first. I'll look forward to whatever you come up with!

Reactions: Kiu

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Er... ok. I was just trying to compile useful info into one place for people. Not really worried about who came up with what first. I'll look forward to whatever you come up with!
Wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry if it came off that way. I did actually post it earlier in this thread, but then realised that the set up needed it's own thread since there's so much to it (as you covered in your wall-o-text).

Didn't know that F2 123 worked as a combo finisher, hadn't thought of that. Looks like it will be worth it investing time finding optimal combos to specifically end in 123 xx. Since you aren't cancelling into a special off it, it leaves another juggle point I assume. Good shit.

Again, sorry if I came off as a dick. If you don't mind, I'll add anything I may have missed in my thread and tag you for your discoveries. :)

Wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry if it came off that way. I did actually post it earlier in this thread, but then realised that the set up needed it's own thread since there's so much to it (as you covered in your wall-o-text).

Didn't know that F2 123 worked as a combo finisher, hadn't thought of that. Looks like it will be worth it investing time finding optimal combos to specifically end in 123 xx. Since you aren't cancelling into a special off it, it leaves another juggle point I assume. Good shit.

Again, sorry if I came off as a dick. If you don't mind, I'll add anything I may have missed in my thread and tag you for your discoveries. :)
Excellent! Cheers!

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Zod combos are pretty easy to produce I'm more interested in set ups a "tech" that's the stuff that is worth hanging your hat on.

Narra

A trait combo that I have seen mentioned a couple of times, but not posted a video of:
A simplified version of this which does only slightly less damage is
J2 F21,Close MB Ground Blast J3 F213, 4, Far MB Ground Blast 4 4 4 DB4 Dash to person B3 J3 into Zod Charge....Probably a better way to do this but for sure much easier and reliable.

LumberZach

XBL: KH LumberZach
j2 f21 db2b MB j2 db1(delayed) b3 j3 123 bf2 - 49% 1 bar (46% w/o jump in)
Trait, j2 f21 db2b MB 4,4,4 (last 4 delayed until highest point of launch) j2 db1 b3 j3 123 bf2 - 56% 1 bar+trait (54% w/o jump in)
I'm pretty sure I can get more damage. I'm trying to fit in all 3 versions of his IA rifle in the combo.

I don't know if it has been posted, but I just found this combo -
12xx Close Ground Blast MB, b3, ji3, f213xx zod charge.
Does 40%, gets an extra two with the zod charge mb (not really worth the extra bar)

Unfortunately, 12 is the only way I can find to get into it, which is a mid starter and basically worthless since I can't really get a jump in to link up, but that could just be my scrub factor. You can only get the B3 out if your opponent's toes are on yours. (Tested against scorps cause I hate that guy. Could be other options are larger characters.)

Edit - Uh oh, It must be past my bed time. Turns out 12 doesn't cancel into ground blast, and the opponent has time to block...
Still, if you ever get a chance to ground laser someone point blank, go for it...

I think you can do b12 instead of just 12, hits low if I didn't already forget and also slightly more damage I believe