What's new

GEC Forever King wins Injustice: Gods Among Us at Kumite in Tennessee 2014!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Ladies and gentlemen, what can we say? The Injustice community as a whole was blessed with streams at Defend The North and Apex 2014, where we were greeted with endless bouts of hype matches consisting of expanding character variety, but Kumite in Tennessee 2014 has succeeded in blowing everything out of the water...in a spectacularly explosive way! Players who have long been encouraged to keep treading the tournament waters have finally broken Top 8 while other familiar legends returned to add to their halls of fame, and as of now, the tournament winner has been decided!

A tournament as legendary as this can only be worthy of a detailed recollection, so where to start?!

Before Top 8 officially commenced, a stipulation long desired by the Injustice community was put into motion: every match in Top 8 would be done in a best three-out-of-five format. This brought about yells of delight from players in the venue and in the stream chat. Such a decision can only mean that we were going to be greeted with twice the package of amazing Injustice matches, and what followed did indeed make this a fact!

The tournament unfolded with two matches in the Loser's Bracket so as to decide who would make it to Loser's Quarterfinals. @AK elitegoomba, the Wonder Woman of America, was forced to recall his Amazon and switch to Superman to take down both of @GGA pimpimjim's underused characters, resulting in a 3-2 win in his favor! Very few people in the crowd were aware of the fact that elitegoomba had come packed with a Superman to accommodate his Wonder Woman, but the choice certainly paid off!

The next match resulted in a one-sided 3-0 win for AK Saltface's Harley Quinn, and @GGA 16 Bit joined his comrade Pimpimjim in 7th place. The Top 8 had begun with nearly an equal split in territory between Atlanta Kombat and Galloping Ghost Arcade, with the lone Forever King representing Ohio, and right now Atlanta Kombat was pulling ahead by a great deal. But the battle was not yet done!

The bracket shifted over to Winner's Semifinals where Forever King drew upon his Flash experience from @Master D. to defeat @AK Harold's Flash with a 3-1 win. Dropped combos ran really high in this match and for a while it looked like Harold would regain control, but King's swarm of bats held strong and brought the scarlet speedster to a screeching halt.

Now, there was concern over @AK Pig Of The Hut being unable to make it for his match due to work commitments overlapping his time at the tournament, and with @Vandy being unable to alter the tournament schedule, the odds looked a bit grim. However, he managed to make it back in time to face the one remaining GGA representative, @Maxintensity25, who relentlessly drew upon Zod's weakness in wake-ups to break his back and advance with a 3-1 win. Even with only one player left, GGA was not down for the count yet!

With Winner's Semifinals concluded, the Loser's Quarterfinals began with AK/RM Harold's Flash speeding back into action against his comrade, AK elitegoomba. Although the Atlanta Kombat crew was delighted to occupy so much of the Top 8, only one warrior could reign victorious...and so the team had to cut its own ranks down. The first casualty was elitegoomba, and AK/RM Harold sped on to Loser's Semifinals.

The other match in Loser's Quarterfinals was again a battle between two of AK's finest, AK/EMPR Pig of the Hut and AK/EMPR Saltface. Two players who shared the same two crews along with strong zoning, but again, there could only be one winner...in this case, it was Saltface who proved triumphant! This meant that Loser's Semifinals would basically be a runback from yesterday's pools where Harold and Saltface fought for a spot in the Winner's Bracket for Top 8. After yet another exchange of merciless blows between both of these AK titans, we witnessed an outcome that was the complete opposite of their previous bout: Saltface had emerged victorious!

The tournament had come down to a canonical conflict from the shrouded mysteries of the Batman franchise. With the last of Atlanta Kombat's forces dropped into Loser's Bracket, only @FOREVER KING and GGA Max remained to duke it out in Winner's Finals. King started out convincingly with a 2-0 lead, only for Max to pull back from behind and tie the score through sheer force of will...however, King responded to this comeback with a victory of his own to make it to Grand Finals, while Max's GGA comrades poured out their support to the man who carried all of their hopes for a tournament victory.

The spotlight turned towards the two players waiting in the Loser's Finals. Two dreams still lived, two dreams could still become a reality. It would be GGA Max versus AK/EMPR Saltface. Much like with Winner's Finals, Saltface pulled ahead with a 2-0 lead over Max, and some viewers were already beginning to believe that Harley Quinn achieving Grand Finals was inevitable...

...but, what followed shook all of the witnesses to their core. In a display that mirrored the epic time-out comeback from @RDK|Tyrant versus @EMPEROR_THEO at NEC '14, Max came charging back from the depths of defeat and shattered Saltface's Harley Quinn with a 3-2 victory that left everyone stunned! The last of Atlanta Kombat had fallen, and Max would be given a second chance to overcome the Batman match-up against Forever King in Grand Finals!

Grand Finals Kumite in Tennessee 2014.png
Would the bat finally be broken?!

Well, not without a fight.

Forever King and Max played strategically and persistently, and just when Forever King was about to close it out with a 3-1 victory, the Wake-Up invincibility system made Max's Wake-Up charge immune to Batman's batarang technology and caused another 2-2 tie between the players! Too many shocking moments to count, that really, typing all of it down doesn't do it justice!

But Forever King remained unshaken by the outcome. One match remained...and who would take it? Contrary to what the above image suggests, Batman finally pulls through and shuts down his muscle-bound adversary to win Kumite in Tennessee 2014! The screams of joy could be heard resonating throughout the alleys of Gotham City!

Congratulations to GEC Forever King for standing strong in the face of unexpected turnarounds and ultimately proving victorious against the fury of Atlanta Kombat and Galloping Ghost Arcade!

Loser's Bracket

GGA Pimpimjim (Lex Luthor and Hawkgirl): 2 vs. AK elitegoomba (Wonder Woman and Superman): 3

GGA 16 Bit (Catwoman): 0 vs. AK/EMPR Saltface (Harley Quinn): 3

Winner's Semifinals

GEC Forever King (Batman): 3 vs. AK/RM Harold (The Flash): 1

GGA Max (Bane): 3 vs. AK/EMPR Pig of the Hut (Zod): 1

Loser's Quarterfinals

AK elitegoomba (Wonder Woman): 1 vs. AK/RM Harold (The Flash): 3

AK/EMPR Saltface (Harley Quinn): 3 vs. AK/EMPR Pig of the Hut (Zod): 2

Loser's Semifinals

AK/EMPR Saltface (Harley Quinn): 3 vs. AK/RM Harold (The Flash): 2

Winner's Finals

GEC Forever King (Batman): 3 vs. GGA Max (Bane): 2

Loser's Finals

GGA Max (Bane): 3 vs. AK/EMPR Saltface (Harley Quinn): 2

Grand Finals

GGA Max (Bane): 2 vs. GEC Forever King (Batman): 3

Tournament Placings

7th Place: GGA Pimpimjim and GGA 16 Bit
5th Place: AK elitegoomba and AK/EMPR Pig of the Hut
4th Place: AK/RM Harold
3rd Place: AK/EMPR Saltface
2nd Place: GGA Max
Tournament Champion: GEC Forever King

Attachments

Last edited:

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
AWESOME TOURNAMENT!!!

Congrats to @FOREVER KING !
Also, Shoutouts to @Vandy for a baller tournament.

Special shoutout to all top 8 finishers. So much diversity and representation. Pig's Zod was awesome as was Harold's Flash!

Edit: Also these guys got 9th place (lost in losers final)

AK CLINT DA BEAST (Lex)
GEC M2DAVE (Zod)
AK SMARGASMM (BlackAdam, Aquaman)
AK RENORACKS (Batman, Batgirl)

I got to say @General M2Dave Zod was looking awesome. His match with Pig and goomba were some of my favorite. Huge props. This character took a lot of time to prepare for tournament but I think his domination is upon us at last

Last edited:

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Apologies for the slight delay in posting up the article. I think we all can agree that the amount of shocking moments in KiT ran really high and for this article, I was not going to settle for anything less than perfect. Even when FOREVER KING landed the last hit on Max, I was typing away to finish it up.

I don't like running late, trust me. -_-

Anyway...I really didn't know who to cheer for, but I'm glad a Batman player won it all. I'm proud of @AK Harold for bringing glory to RM and of @AK SaltFace for not deserting his character loyalty. GGA ought to be proud of @Maxintensity25 for pulling through and getting a second place finish just when it seemed like all was lost for them.

What does agitate me is that Atlanta Kombat had occupied the greatest amount of the Top 8, yet were forced to destroy its own ranks at some point. They came close to seizing the trophy...but this is closer than they've ever done.

Just wait till the next tournament...