Game Art?

Discussion in 'Comic Book & Fan-Art' started by ZAQ, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

I noticed a couple of you have some nice photoshop skills.

Anyone in here think they can handle making MK style or fighting game/brawler art?

Stage sprites, character sprites, splash screens, game menus, vs screens, load screens, particles, etc?

Cartoony graphics welcome:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even Castle Crashers style of art if you can do it?
    [​IMG]
  2. STORMS

STORMS "I said... shake, rattle and roll!" Staff Member

PSN:
    STORMS_TYM
    this would be very interesting..

Someone get KILLA_NoSyMp over here. I'm sure he'd love to mess with this.
  3. Tim Static

Tim Static ULTRAAAA KOMBO Staff Member

This is sweet.
  4. crystalcage

crystalcage Top Contributor

judging by the current gems that are sigs made by Dztrbd, I vote get HIM in on this!
  5. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Well as far as those cartoon MK sprites go, I already have permission to use them in a game from the author, but I would rather have something unique. Since they are made from other game sprites, Yun from 3s I think.

There is already plenty of work out there for attacks, so all that needs to be done is a unique character drawn up with the same positions and stances.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But that style of shit is kind of what I want, I'd even settle for way less detail, like the Castle Crashers style with no folds in the clothes, barely any shading, etc.

More important than the current project needs, I am looking for an artist to work with, which I am willing to pay a % of the earnings of any game I/we make.
  6. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Reasons I need an artist:
    (Those boxes don't show up in game at least)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Decapre

Decapre New Member

How do you guys do that?! Im clueless when it comes to photoshop and gimp -_-
  8. BOSSETTE

BOSSETTE Member

PSN:
    l3OSSETTE
    This looks cool, I'm excited to see what some people will make.

I think the Gimp program gave my computer (including two others) a virus. :facepalm: Just a heads up.
  9. Krayzie

Krayzie Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged! Staff Member

I have yet to venture out into the Gif animated world, but I can definitely work Photoshop. I also took a class on Illustrator, and I just noticed all my work is now gone... shit! everything was in the USB I lost!

If you need assistance, just let me know exactly what you need, and I will tell you what im capable of doing.
  10. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Those are the first animated gifs I have ever made. It's actually pretty surprising I have gotten away with not making them until now. but there is a way to export animations in flash to gif.

Bone, right now I need character animations, with the style that I posted above. I am going to be making a game, regardless if I have them or not. But if I do have the animations, I can actually sell it.

You don't need to have any previous knowledge of Flash to do this. All you need to do is draw up the frames of animation in whatever program you use. After that I can import them into flash.

I need a new character that doesn't completely resemble Scorpion. Kind of like a Generic Ninja, but with the same normal attacks as MK2 scorpion.
  11. Krayzie

Do you just need the animation frames of scorpion turned into a ninja? If thats the case, just let me have all of his frame animations.
  12. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Yeah starting off with a nice looking character would be great. I have no idea where to begin with that kind of stuff and everything I draw doesn't look good enough to me.

Best way to get a lot done in a short amount of time is to make a "White Ninja" on a transparent background, and I can shade or palette swap them any color I want, like they did for MK. I could make the char as well as a.i. with that.

Yeah, as you can see, you can only do so much with the animations that are available.

That Scorpion slice and dice fatality looks really tame and dumb without blood, sound effects, and no pauses in the animation for dramatic effect. But it could looks really good if I had more frames to work with.

This is basically where I am at right now. I would need all of this stuff eventually, it isn't as many frames as you would think, because you reuse a lot of them.

Main Char - Scorpion:
    fighting stance
    walking animation

Punching attacks:
    high punch
    elbow (close HP attack in MK2)
    uppercut

Kicking attacks:
    low kick
    high kick
    roundhouse
    knee (close HK attack in MK2)

The finishers are done by using certain button combinations:
    slice and dice animations
    Showing skull and shooting fireball is one animation
    -flame from that MK2 fatal
    -explosion from MK2 fatal

Computer - Reptile
    Standing animations
    Walking animations
    Taking damage animations (4 different animations)
    Punches and Kicks, same as Scorpion (not used in a.i, yet)
    Knockdown animation
    Single frame of 'guts' until I decide to animate them
    Torso animation and legs
    Simple a.i. logic to follow main char (mainly for engine tests)

Vehicle - Diablo - (Primal Rage) First level vehicle (limited attacks / speed)
    crouching animations (before scorpion 'mounts')
    while mounted
    Standing animations
    Walking animations
    Biting Animations

"Turn around" animation if I choose to use it (makes him more vulnerable and sluggish to navigate when changing directions)

There is an early build of the fighting engine here:
    http://classicmk.com/index.php?topic=793.0
    (Takes a little while to load sometimes)

I'll probably end up adding more to it, I just wanted to build a pretty good base for everything first before I got too deep into it and couldn't make changes.

Basically right now it is setup to have a main character with a moveset, enemy's with a.i., and vehicles.

Got all the Scorpion sprites from here:
    http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk2/scorpion/sprites/
  13. Krayzie

[​IMG] < This was quick, it doesnt really look good. But is this what you're talking about?
  14. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Yeah basically a sprite that is drawn over MK2 sprites.

None of the MK2 sprite should exist when it is done though, otherwise it can be considered copyright infringement and I can still use it but only as a fan game. I don't know how to draw stuff, but I need a unique 'ninja' character for my game.

The clothing should be white so it would be easier to swap out for other colors.
  15. Krayzie

Oh, I see what you're saying now.

Tell me what you want the ninja to look like, and I will make you a completely new Sprite for each animation.
  16. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

[​IMG]

jk, but idk. I don't even know where to begin to be honest.

something that covers most of the skin, aside from hands and upper face.
    [​IMG]
    (It's brown/black, and the legs are too baggy here, but it looks good otherwise)

Can you do shading well? Shadows on different parts of the sprite etc?

If you can, do that on a different layer in the psd so I can change the color easily. Unless you know how to palette swap too of course

I know I am not being really clear, because I just don't know what to make, so don't go overboard and make a bunch of sprites just yet. Try to make one good one from the stance, and we will tweak it from there.
  17. Tim Static

Tim Static ULTRAAAA KOMBO Staff Member

lmao I about fell off the couch scrolling down readin that

[​IMG]
  18. KINGSHAZ33m

KINGSHAZ33m In the Shadows

Anything Photoshop, I'll be happy to start.
  19. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

Ok then!
    Try drawing scorpions fight stance (this image) [a single frame]
    The head feet and hands should be in the same position in the image.
    [​IMG]

But with a ninja that looks like this, with less baggy pants.
    (Just the actual outfit and ninja are necessary, not weapons)
    [​IMG]
    Use your own style, or take these as an example:

this has more folds in the clothing, and shadows
    [​IMG]

Or use something like Castle Crashers art-style at first:
    (Which has almost no detail, or shadows)
    [​IMG]
  20. Krayzie

I almost forgot about this thread.

How is this, Schiess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  21. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

hah, fuckin awesome actually.
    I don't know how feasible that would be for you to create an entire character out of (Might take a while to make) but it looks great.
    Also, I will need enemies and bosses that would have to be done in the same style too. That is the reason I asked for a more "hand-drawn" approach.

If you think you could do this for a bunch of character/enemy/boss/backgrounds(essentially all game art), then it is perfect.

This is what GoldenOreos (member on CMK) has come up with so far. (Looks too 'MK' right now but we are working on that)
    http://classicmk.com/swf/go.swf
    Right / Left arrows to walk (He won't be walking backwards in this game so that is why I just left the reverse walking as the same frames)

He also came up with this, which looks less 'MK' style and looks promising.
    [​IMG]

Do you think you could make an entire character the way you made it?
  22. Krayzie

Thats awesome man.

As long as you give me the exact sprites you will need, I will work on them.
  23. ERrorMAKro

ERrorMAKro New Member

That's good xD
  24. ZAQ

ZAQ On Leave

[​IMG]

Anyone know an efficient way of converting images to 8bit style? :)