What's new

Future of MKX on PC; MKXL Enhanced Online PC BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Slaj Jazz

TIckle my sweet salty nips
Can't believe there's some people defending NRS screwing over their customers, just because they happened to buy it on PC. They paid the same amount of money as you for a game that ED BOON himself said would be up to par with everything else. Why would they not be angry? If they're not going to support the game anymore then they should all be able to get their money back.

chris999

Noob
Even though there are a lot of open and unfinished sub-conversations in this thread right now, I have to start a new one. There is an announcement of kombat cast tomorrow I think. How many people from here intend to watch it live? Do you think it's a good opportunity to pose questions about the future of MKX on pc? Do you believe that we will get answers, or they are going to ignore us again? Do you think that the war comments between some PC players and Console players will affect the normal flow of the broadcast?

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Of course they will be ignoring PC. They did last time, they will now. And no, I'd rather take opportunity and remind everybody about shitty WB practices on Stream convo groups, WB forums, basically where potential buyers are, then watch content from NRS that is obviously no longer directed towards me. I won't bump their views numbers either.

chris999

Noob
Of course they will be ignoring PC. They did last time, they will now. And no, I'd rather take opportunity and remind everybody about shitty WB practices on Stream convo groups, WB forums, basically where potential buyers are, then watch content from NRS that is obviously no longer directed towards me. I won't bump their views numbers either.
I see your point. Let's hope that after 3 weeks of all this disappointment and anger expressed by the PC community and many others gamers, they will show some dignity and tell something about the pc edition of the game, but to be honest I seriously doubt it too.

I haven't heard about RTS on consoles tbh. Fighters on the other hand were present on PC since DOS versions. PC might have smaller gaming community, but it is by no means non existent. Plus half a million people buying a game on PC regardless fears of another shitty HVS port... It was big exhibition of trust. And I bet it would sell far better if the port was proven good (but it was proven sht day one, and WB has themselves to thank for that).
Anyway, times change. I like to see more fighting games/mobile games/all the other twisted kinds of games coming to PC, and more mobas coming to Xbox for example. This is going in right direction. And in the end - there will be only one. ;)
RTSes have been on consoles for a while. StarCraft 64 is an older example. Command and Conquer and Battle for Middle-earth II are more recent examples. Halo Wars is another one, and it's getting a sequel. So it's a thing.

For the half a million people, how many of them, I wonder, bought off of grey market sites, which directly impacts the profits the publisher makes. While I can't prove it, I suspect strong grey market purchases are part of the reason the PC version is seemingly being left behind.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
For the half a million people, how many of them, I wonder, bought off of grey market sites, which directly impacts the profits the publisher makes. While I can't prove it, I suspect strong grey market purchases are part of the reason the PC version is seemingly being left behind.
Tbh WB practices (but also other publishers that release broken/unfinished/unoptimised ports), make people who obtained the game in legit ways look like naive peasants who never learn. Although piracy will probably never go away, WB does not help to fight it - rather the opposite. They bring reasons for pirates to keep pirating/looking for deals in shady places. They have released a broken game, unplayable day one at that, and everybody who postponed buying this game or pirated it won: they saved their money and nerves.

If I recall well Ubisoft was crying about rampant piracy among PC gamers for years, but recently it turned out that PC is their second platform after PS4 if it goes for sales of their games. So apparently, all it takes to prevent many pirates from pirating is to release an optimised game that will work day one. Another words: not to scam their customers. Impossible!

I don't agree with piracy, I hope denuvo will help fight it, but let's not forget that unethical practices of almost every major 3xA publisher is also to be blamed here. I can't condemn people who got this game from grey market or torrent, knowing how bad WB fked it up for all of us who paid full price or - like stupid me - pre-ordered it.

Tbh WB practices (but also other publishers that release broken/unfinished/unoptimised ports), make people who obtained the game in legit ways look like naive peasants who never learn. Although piracy will probably never go away, WB does not help to fight it - rather the opposite. They bring reasons for pirates to keep pirating/looking for deals in shady places. They have released a broken game, unplayable day one at that, and everybody who postponed buying this game or pirated it won: they saved their money and nerves.

If I recall well Ubisoft was crying about rampant piracy among PC gamers for years, but recently it turned out that PC is their second platform after PS4 if it goes for sales of their games. So apparently, all it takes to prevent many pirates from pirating is to release an optimised game that will work day one. Another words: not to scam their customers. Impossible!

I don't agree with piracy, I hope denuvo will help fight it, but let's not forget that unethical practices of almost every major 3xA publisher is also to be blamed here. I can't condemn people who got this game from grey market or torrent, knowing how bad WB fked it up for all of us who paid full price or - like stupid me - pre-ordered it.
I have mixed comments about the above. Purchasing a product properly and legally does _not_ make anyone look naive, it means they are an honest customer. Honest customers, however, have a right to expect a good product and to get their money's worth.

Piracy does not help anyone, customer or publisher, period. First, it is theft and illegal; no more needs to be said on that. Second, publishers don't receive profits from it (obviously) and can deter them from providing content/support for a specific market or platform, but also publishers have and will use it as an excuse to beef up DRM and other such means of control, which often goes on to hurt legitimate customers.

The game was not unplayable for all on Day 1, though that streaming install was a mess and I don't know if that was WBIE or Steam itself to blame. I was able to play the game very well from the beginning, and it just got better (for the most part) with patching and I know many others who were able to do the same. The game certainly had strong issues at launch, don't mistake me, but it didn't last as long as many always make it out to be and sadly, broken products on launch are such a norm regardless of publisher these days (and one of the key reasons I rarely buy anything at launch anymore).

I personally don't support Grey Sites, since they are questionable and the publisher likely will not see any or no profits from the sale, however in the case of WBIE and based on their own failings in customer service, I'm now going to purchase any of their PC related products I want from grey sites.

I'm still doing a proper transaction, it is not illegal, and WBIE will likely not profit from the sale, but I'll still get to enjoy the product and at a discounted rate. I believe that is a good statement to send to them through voting with my wallet.

However, I believe people jumped on the grey market site bandwagon for the game far too soon, and that hurt things. If the game's only a few months old, and already much of the sales are happening their and the publisher is not getting profits, it would not be surprising if they cut their losses and stopped as they seem to have done.

Note: I had to write the above quickly in two sittings as I'm at work. Hope it all makes sense.

I have mixed comments about the above. Purchasing a product properly and legally does _not_ make anyone look naive, it means they are an honest customer. Honest customers, however, have a right to expect a good product and to get their money's worth.

Piracy does not help anyone, customer or publisher, period. First, it is theft and illegal; no more needs to be said on that. Second, publishers don't receive profits from it (obviously) and can deter them from providing content/support for a specific market or platform, but also publishers have and will use it as an excuse to beef up DRM and other such means of control, which often goes on to hurt legitimate customers.

The game was not unplayable for all on Day 1, though that streaming install was a mess and I don't know if that was WBIE or Steam itself to blame. I was able to play the game very well from the beginning, and it just got better (for the most part) with patching and I know many others who were able to do the same. The game certainly had strong issues at launch, don't mistake me, but it didn't last as long as many always make it out to be and sadly, broken products on launch are such a norm regardless of publisher these days (and one of the key reasons I rarely buy anything at launch anymore).

I personally don't support Grey Sites, since they are questionable and the publisher likely will not see any or no profits from the sale, however in the case of WBIE and based on their own failings in customer service, I'm now going to purchase any of their PC related products I want from grey sites.

I'm still doing a proper transaction, it is not illegal, and WBIE will likely not profit from the sale, but I'll still get to enjoy the product and at a discounted rate. I believe that is a good statement to send to them through voting with my wallet.

However, I believe people jumped on the grey market site bandwagon for the game far too soon, and that hurt things. If the game's only a few months old, and already much of the sales are happening their and the publisher is not getting profits, it would not be surprising if they cut their losses and stopped as they seem to have done.

Note: I had to write the above quickly in two sittings as I'm at work. Hope it all makes sense.
I don't think grey sites rob publishers of profits. The key exists and must have been obtained from a source, more than likely from someone that has purchased that key from the wholesaler (publisher) and resold it onto G2A and others. It has been stated many times from GMG (one of the more legitimate re-sellers) that all of their keys are legal, and fully paid for from reputable sources. Whether this is truth or not remains anyone's guess. I personally use grey sites. I own a business and I know that it is my duty to offer my customers the very best service but also a price that they are willing to pay for it. I've had people all too often say to me "we love your service and all the extra's that you go out of your way for to provide us, but can I have it for the same price as the guy selling out of his van down the road?". In most cases, whether my goods and service is superior or not is irrelevant because the customer wants to spend as little as possible for the most amount of product/service.

While that sounds like a rant about nothing, in this case it holds true. Whether or not WB releases a stellar or broken product, it is not up to the consumer to give them the most amount of profit for it. It's our job to be savvy customers while also not reverting to practices such as piracy. I have 100 other companies that I have to compete with in order to make a living doing what I do, and if WB chooses to release a product to a platform that does not monopolize the distribution of their product (as in, giving people choice if they are smarter than to just settle for a $60 Steam purchase) then they do that willingly and knowingly. You can't argue that people pirating games are killing your business and then blame the same people that may have previously pirated,buying keys of your game at reduced prices. Can't have it both ways.

Another thing is that Steam takes a cut from anything purchased from their store, so does that mean that Steam is also to blame for our shit support because they are eating into the margin of WB's product? No, it doesn't. Business is business. The more you pick and choose when it suits or benefits you to support a platform you chose to develop for (and therefore, reap the sales from those that trusted in it) the less times you will be able to make that decision. Because unlike console players (not bashing, just the result of most of the broken titles being PC related) PC players do not forget, and will make that decision for you in the long run.

Long rant, sorry. First post on the site from a PC player that is JUST starting out in fighting games (got my stick, and ready for KI and SFV just around the corner), so you can understand my frustration as I understand everyone else's. I am also a long time gamer and have seen the industry turn into a pile of shit for the most part (especially when talking about "AAA" publishers and all their antics), and the community turning on each other doesn't help, either.

WonDoe

Noob
https://twitter.com/NetherRealm/status/697542103564288000

Leatherface Kombat Kast will have Q&A, please leave question about PC MKX and give hearts to any question alike to make them visible.

And try to be polite pls.
Emphasis on being polite. Some people will without a doubt go in there trying to cause a shitstorm and while there's a chance that they'll ignore all PC questions entirely, it still doesn't hurt to have some decency.

WonDoe

Noob
Opening for questions and ignoring PC MKX incident would be another low blow, one of many tbh...
I'm not expecting to hear much more than "KP2 not coming to PC". The show will be about Leatherface and that's probably how they'll wanna keep it, but we'll see how it turns out though. I think the issue has a lot more people's attention now. While completely ignoring all PC related questions would feel like a low blow, I'm almost expecting it.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
They will ignore PC 99%. Watching these practices sometimes I think ppl at NRS are illuminati of hardcore masochistic pleasures.

Pro7ect

Noob
Well the least we can do is to put it right in front of their faces every time we get a chance to do so. Like, if the top twits in this Q/A section are about PC - at least they'll feel uncomfortable to ignore them and even maybe some kind of... shame... You know, for what they did to their customers.

The worst thing for us to do right now is to keep it down. Be as vocal as you can.

I'm just gonna say that, after 5 years of suffering with terrible netcode and mid/low tier Ermac on ps3 and pc, I'm not salty at all that it seems they finally made my char good and the netcode good while dropping the only version of mkx I have.
Not salty at all......... at all......... like nothing......... serenity now, serenity now...

I don't think grey sites rob publishers of profits. The key exists and must have been obtained from a source, more than likely from someone that has purchased that key from the wholesaler (publisher) and resold it onto G2A and others. It has been stated many times from GMG (one of the more legitimate re-sellers) that all of their keys are legal, and fully paid for from reputable sources. Whether this is truth or not remains anyone's guess. I personally use grey sites. I own a business and I know that it is my duty to offer my customers the very best service but also a price that they are willing to pay for it. I've had people all too often say to me "we love your service and all the extra's that you go out of your way for to provide us, but can I have it for the same price as the guy selling out of his van down the road?". In most cases, whether my goods and service is superior or not is irrelevant because the customer wants to spend as little as possible for the most amount of product/service.

While that sounds like a rant about nothing, in this case it holds true. Whether or not WB releases a stellar or broken product, it is not up to the consumer to give them the most amount of profit for it. It's our job to be savvy customers while also not reverting to practices such as piracy. I have 100 other companies that I have to compete with in order to make a living doing what I do, and if WB chooses to release a product to a platform that does not monopolize the distribution of their product (as in, giving people choice if they are smarter than to just settle for a $60 Steam purchase) then they do that willingly and knowingly. You can't argue that people pirating games are killing your business and then blame the same people that may have previously pirated,buying keys of your game at reduced prices. Can't have it both ways.

Another thing is that Steam takes a cut from anything purchased from their store, so does that mean that Steam is also to blame for our shit support because they are eating into the margin of WB's product? No, it doesn't. Business is business. The more you pick and choose when it suits or benefits you to support a platform you chose to develop for (and therefore, reap the sales from those that trusted in it) the less times you will be able to make that decision. Because unlike console players (not bashing, just the result of most of the broken titles being PC related) PC players do not forget, and will make that decision for you in the long run.

Long rant, sorry. First post on the site from a PC player that is JUST starting out in fighting games (got my stick, and ready for KI and SFV just around the corner), so you can understand my frustration as I understand everyone else's. I am also a long time gamer and have seen the industry turn into a pile of shit for the most part (especially when talking about "AAA" publishers and all their antics), and the community turning on each other doesn't help, either.
Thanks for the detailed post/rant.

Grey sites can indeed deprive publishers of profits and it all depends how the key was obtained for sale. If you search online, there are already articles of investigations done where it turns out keys have been acquired via stolen credit cards, or keys are from promotions not meant to be resold. There are also legit keys from bundles or what-have-you. It depends on the seller and how they acquired said key, and the consumer buying will not know this. Thus the term "grey."

Just like the used game console market, the publisher will not see anything from this sale. Publishers made a big stink about used games a few years back, as you may recall, and started putting redemption keys for some content in-box so anyone buying used would need to buy additional profit. Think Catwoman from Batman: Arkham City. Want to play as Catwoman? Buy the game new or buy her separate if you get a used copy. The publishers makes some profit this way off the resold product. The grey market site on PC is similar with people selling keys.

Green Man Gaming is not a grey site, it is a digital retailer and deals directly with the publishers. GMG profits and is able to undercut retail costs by doing pre-purchases, which is different than pre-orders. This allows them to set aside their cut, unlike Steam, but they make it back through interest off the pre-purchase cost.

For console titles, retailers like Best Buy, Game Stop, and Walmart obviously take a cut of any sale as well.

G2A is a grey site, since you're typically buying from a random through said site as an intermediary. What you get could be legit, or not, but any existing key being sold the publisher wouldn't get funds for in anyway that I can see outside of the original purchase, assuming it was purchased, just like a retail used game.

Yes, business is business, but it's not always business, if you follow me. That's why I don't support grey sites typically. Though as I mentioned, I'm setting this aside for WBIE for their PC titles.

Had to type the above in a few sittings as I'm at work. Hope it makes sense and isn't disjointed.

That's why I don't support grey sites typically. Though as I mentioned, I'm setting this aside for WBIE for their PC titles.
I'd reccomend not buying any WB PC games at all. At least not until they've proven that they actually give a shit about PC games.

Not trying to tell you what to do with your money, but I don't see them changing their ways anytime soon.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'd reccomend not buying any WB PC games at all. At least not until they've proven that they actually give a shit about PC games.

Not trying to tell you what to do with your money, but I don't see them changing their ways anytime soon.
yep, totally agreed ..... WB/NRS games for PC, definitely, entered in a black list where are not trustworthy final version/product to be bought, in future.

I know you're not :).

The problem is, boycotts like that typically do not work. The publisher doesn't see the lose in sales and then say "hey, we need to release better products to this market," they say "this market is not profitable so we won't release products on this platform."

We've seen this before through the decades.

Buying something from the grey market, or used, sends a different message. It sends a quantifiable message that the content/product is wanted, but that something needs to be done to shift the acquisition back to more traditional markets for proper revenue. Whether they act on that message though, that's another matter.

I know you're not :).

The problem is, boycotts like that typically do not work. The publisher doesn't see the lose in sales and then say "hey, we need to release better products to this market," they say "this market is not profitable so we won't release products on this platform."

We've seen this before through the decades.

Buying something from the grey market, or used, sends a different message. It sends a quantifiable message that the content/product is wanted, but that something needs to be done to shift the acquisition back to more traditional markets for proper revenue. Whether they act on that message though, that's another matter.
True, that probably sends a stronger message but then you end up spending money on a barely playable product that could have gone towards a game that actually works.

True, that probably sends a stronger message but then you end up spending money on a barely playable product that could have gone towards a game that actually works.
I don't understand what you mean. In terms of Mortal Kombat X, the game isn't barely playable, it's completely playable and on par with the console versions as of this typing. The only major platform exclusive issue that I'm aware of at the moment is the poor frame rate in the Klassic Tower endings, which is hardly game breaking or experience ruining.

Many WBIE games have issues at launch, quite true, but they're often ultimately patched up and most major publishers have these sorts of "problems" these days. Bethesda, 2K, EA, Ubisoft, etc. all have had products in recent memory with large launch issues.

There's a reason I barely buy games at launch anymore, as I typically wait for the game to be fixed up first now, and by then it's usually cheaper at retail.

Reactions: SPY
For some reason i dont get notifications anymore(again) so im posting this comment to hopefully get my notifications back. Move along nothin to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.