What's new

Guide - Warlock Full Warlock Quan Chi Guide by PND Ketchup

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hey guys! Once again, I bring you a Quan Chi Variation guide, this time focusing on Warlock Quan Chi.

I've actually heard a lot of people saying that they think Warlock Quan sucks/is ass, even I thought that at first glance, but post patch I feel like Warlock really does have a rightful place in the game. Warlock Quan is the Buzzsaw or Kenjutsu of Quan Chi, you're not going to have this as your main variation but you can certainly use it if the matchup calls for it.

Quan counter zones better than most characters in the game due to his Warlock F3 and df2, giving him a free 11 frame mid that tracks you anywhere on screen, even knocks down which allows you to poke with it and advance if you see it hit for some pressure. It wiff punishes almost every fullscreen move, which makes him a nightmare for characters like Jacqui Briggs or Kenshi.

The interesting part is when opponents try to go in after they realise they can't win the fullscreen battle. Now Quan has a reversal that's armoured, giving him at least 32% on every successful MB Scoop. He can now counter poke, reversal and wakeup attack, on top of finally being able to interrupt strings. In neutral situations the opponent would normally go ham as it's quan chi, now there's a defensive option they must respect. Once they respect it, you can take advantage and go for a 50/50 or grab if you read their block on prediction of Portal scoop.

I've been using Warlock more and more and I truly believe that as this game evolves, there will be matchups that call for Warlock over the other two.

Hope you guys enjoy this! If I've missed anything out, please feel free to enlighten me, fellow Warlock players!

Peace, - Ketchup

Attachments

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
It should be on there now, never used this service before!
Sweet, if I didn't say it to you another mod would have so I figured why not. Just watched the video, excellent stuff! I had no idea you could make F3 jail fullscreen without using meter. Pretty good. I never thought about using Warlock, glad you labbed it because now I'll give it a try at my local.

Nice work!

PND_Ketchup

Sweet, if I didn't say it to you another mod would have so I figured why not. Just watched the video, excellent stuff! I had no idea you could make F3 jail fullscreen without using meter. Pretty good. I never thought about using Warlock, glad you labbed it because now I'll give it a try at my local.

Nice work!
It will jail if they do anything other than instantly run, which gets beat by skull.

It doesn't jail 100%, but it forces them to move if they don't want to take the F3, which gives you other fullscreen options. F3 is awesome at making the opponent move hastily, which is exactly what quan wants when zoning you out.

Warlock zones and counter zones super well.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
It will jail if they do anything other than instantly run, which gets beat by skull.

It doesn't jail 100%, but it forces them to move if they don't want to take the F3, which gives you other fullscreen options. F3 is awesome at making the opponent move hastily, which is exactly what quan wants when zoning you out.

Warlock zones and counter zones super well.
Ah okay I gotcha. I suppose if you make a solid read on the run and burn the meter, you might be able to counter that with EX Trance for a combo.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
The real question. Would you consider using warlock in a real match? If you have covered this in the video I apologise, have time tomorrow to watch!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Good shit Ketchup, your recent work with this variation has definitely got me interested.

One thing to note though, the portal grab (meterless DF2) is in fact intended to be a mid, I've been able to hit big bodies like Torr while neutral ducking with it, it just has a really clumsy hitbox. Whether or not NRS have been made aware of this, or if they intend to fix it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

Good shit Ketchup, your recent work with this variation has definitely got me interested.

One thing to note though, the portal grab (meterless DF2) is in fact intended to be a mid, I've been able to hit big bodies like Torr while neutral ducking with it, it just has a really clumsy hitbox. Whether or not NRS have been made aware of this, or if they intend to fix it remains to be seen.
I should probably hit up Paulo on Twitter or something.

Vaiist

Noob
Hey Ketchup. I'm a big fan of your videos and think it's amazing how far you make it in tournaments with Mr. Chi. So first and foremost, thank you for the time and effort you've put into the game and the way you share your thoughts and opinions along the way.

I love Warlock Quan and was actually drawn to him at launch (before he had the portal scoop, crazy right?). Anyways, I've been revisiting him lately and I'd love to get your opinion on something. What do you think of ending combos with f21? You're left at 16 frames of advantage, which basically gives you the same affect as the portal stab. It just comes down to sacrificing damage to save meter.

I find that most combos leave you at the 25-27% range after a f21. In ending the combo there, even a grab will yield more damage than finishing the combo would have. If you go for the overhead or low, I realize you're taking a risk in losing out on some damage, but I feel like there's something to be said for having a meterless reset option on top of his already crazy vortex shenanigans.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think this tactic can make him more effective, or is it silly to sacrifice about 9% guaranteed damage for a 50/50 setup?

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

Hey Ketchup. I'm a big fan of your videos and think it's amazing how far you make it in tournaments with Mr. Chi. So first and foremost, thank you for the time and effort you've put into the game and the way you share your thoughts and opinions along the way.

I love Warlock Quan and was actually drawn to him at launch (before he had the portal scoop, crazy right?). Anyways, I've been revisiting him lately and I'd love to get your opinion on something. What do you think of ending combos with f21? You're left at 16 frames of advantage, which basically gives you the same affect as the portal stab. It just comes down to sacrificing damage to save meter.

I find that most combos leave you at the 25-27% range after a f21. In ending the combo there, even a grab will yield more damage than finishing the combo would have. If you go for the overhead or low, I realize you're taking a risk in losing out on some damage, but I feel like there's something to be said for having a meterless reset option on top of his already crazy vortex shenanigans.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think this tactic can make him more effective, or is it silly to sacrifice about 9% guaranteed damage for a 50/50 setup?
Purely situational really.

Sometimes the guaranteed damage is needed, sometimes you can go for a 50/50 that'll cost meter to make safe. Sometimes you can spend the bar at the end for MB stab and get a free grab etc.

It will always come down to whether you need more damage, or want to guarantee something.

I find Warlock to be the most situational of the 3 that'll require the most decision making mid match.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
Even though I've been playing predator more as of late, my main is still quan chi. I've been trying to pick up sorcerer for the bad MUs in summoner, but I'm struggling with it because it doesn't fit my playstyle. This is gonna help me a lot with my next quan variation. Thanks for the stellar guide, @PND_Ketchup!

PND_Ketchup

Even though I've been playing predator more as of late, my main is still quan chi. I've been trying to pick up sorcerer for the bad MUs in summoner, but I'm struggling with it because it doesn't fit my playstyle. This is gonna help me a lot with my next quan variation. Thanks for the stellar guide, @PND_Ketchup!
You're welcome!

D

Deleted member 9158

As a warlock quan main from day one, I've been saying he doesn't suck from the beginning, as well as doing most of what has been shown in OP's video. But people refused to get off the summoner band wagon and overlooked warlock.

Nice video, but now everyone knows our secrets....>.>...<.<...

PND_Ketchup

As a warlock quan main from day one, I've been saying he doesn't suck from the beginning, as well as doing most of what has been shown in OP's video. But people refused to get off the summoner band wagon and overlooked warlock.

Nice video, but now everyone knows our secrets....>.>...<.<...
People did the same with Sorceror

:DOGE

Solignac

Noob
Amazing guide as always. I wish the d2 into the portal kick was a little more lenient. Not a huge deal though it's nice to get that extra damage off of the d2 but it seems like they have to be right on top of you....

Thanks Ketchup! We'd love to see a Summoner guide!