What's new

Strategy Footsies?

Players who use chars with strings that have long range or lots of forward movement will probably naturally develop good footsies. Example: JC, Raiden, Mileena. SZ's ice clone is also great for footsies.

Now that I think about it, pretty much every character in the game has a tool that helps with footsies. Not developing a good footsie game probably means that your character's tools have a hard time being utilized online.

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
Players who use chars with strings that have long range or lots of forward movement will probably naturally develop good footsies. Example: JC, Raiden, Mileena. SZ's ice clone is also great for footsies.
Sad thing about SZ online is the clone will whiff from proximity when it shouldn't because of latency...

For instance, you will think will be shown image of being outside clone proximity but the server communicates to your opponent that you are inside proximity range and so when you clone, the information is received when the guy is inside the proximity range and the clone whiffs.

I've had clone whiff from outside sweep range.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I guess in a way, we can say that footsies can also include knowledge of the lag; whether its on a TV or online. I know that I noticed a lot of the guys I played against online would uppercut AA often, so I started incorportating that into my online game, but offline, I still go to for the more traditional 1 AA.
Yeah, Uppercuts are WAY more reliable online due to that massive hitbox on them.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

Now that I think about it, pretty much every character in the game has a tool that helps with footsies. Not developing a good footsie game probably means that your character's tools have a hard time being utilized online.
yep, but SZ clone is used for both zoning / footsie .... it's "zoning" when you want to limit your opponent advancing,backing off or protecting yourself against a teleport in your back .... and more as a "footsie" when you do the clone, and advance forward next, guessing right that you opponent, afraid, will not try to advance neither jump, but, stand still, so, you gain a free forward combo string pressure.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
thanks for the awesome write up. I will definitely start working on that. One of the things I think that kinda destroys the whole concept of footsies in MK is the unrealistic hitboxes for certain chars. I really thing NRS should work on that. You can space your self properly and try to walk back and punish but some chars jumping punch seem to be the size of the screen. And to make matters worse their hurtbox (not sure on that word but I hope it make sense lol) are non-existent in the air. I honestly think adjusting the hitboxes would improve the footsie game in MK.

charlieonline

thanks for the awesome write up. I will definitely start working on that. One of the things I think that kinda destroys the whole concept of footsies in MK is the unrealistic hitboxes for certain chars. I really thing NRS should work on that. You can space your self properly and try to walk back and punish but some chars jumping punch seem to be the size of the screen. And to make matters worse their hurtbox (not sure on that word but I hope it make sense lol) are non-existent in the air. I honestly think adjusting the hitboxes with improve the footsie game in MK.
Scorpion jip is insane.

Go up close to your opponent, jump back then back dash once. He can hit a crouching opponent from that distance with his jip. Yep. Big range?

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Which? SZ, JC, Sonya, KL, Raiden, Shang, Baraka, Rain?

Most of the cast have easy AA's even online. I know Cyrax Sektor LK NW Jax Kitana Jade and even Sindel have sick AAs that work online too. I get the feeling that people aren't practicing it enough
Even CSZ can standing 1 opponents offline pretty easily, :fp :l:bp:bp Slide, he has no :l:fp, which also helps his AA game, online, i just don't bother attempting it.

xenogorgeous

Scorpion jip is insane.

Go up close to your opponent, jump back then back dash once. He can hit a crouching opponent from that distance with his jip. Yep. Big range?
I tested once, and seems that a JIP , done about a distance from 1 dash from opponent, can hit him in any position/stance, even if he dash forward on reaction, and you doing in a cross up .......... seems to work with any character in the game, not only Scorpion

charlieonline

I tested once, and seems that a JIP , done about a distance from 1 dash from opponent, can hit him in any position/stance, even if he dash forward on reaction, and you doing in a cross up .......... seems to work with any character in the game, not only Scorpion
scorpion is jump + back dash distance not just dash distance.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
It's pretty retarded... you have to do it just to see how far it actually is
Glad I wasnt the online to notice some of the ridiculous hitboxes. I have yet to win an air to air against ermac consistently. Stuff like that distroys footsies IMO

EDIT: the sad part about Ermac air to air punch is that if you lose which is 95% of the time, you eat a potential 40+ combo :(

xenogorgeous

the sad part about Ermac air to air punch is that if you lose which is 95% of the time, you eat a potential 40+ combo :(
yep, any failed attempt to "air to air" against Ermac, results on that. That is among the things that make some haters call him "EasyMac" .... rsrsrsrs :D

charlieonline

yep, any failed attempt to "air to air" against Ermac, results on that. That is among the things that make some haters call him "EasyMac" .... rsrsrsrs :D
How ironic is it that during the early days of combo videos people were saying it would be impossible to pull off the timing required for a 40%+ Ermac combo, online, yet they are the easiest to do, require no timing, and hit you for half your life.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
My examples suck sometimes.

I should have used JC and Kitana. JC wants to create situations where he is +frames on block or at least neutral... so he can use his very quick normal strings to his advantage. F3 is probably his best tool by far because it closes distance, as well as being super duper fast... and HC into a combo which puts JC at +frames

Kitana uses her D1 to CREATE space and control an area that she wants you to stay out of, so she can create situations that are favorable for her to attack. 16bits spacing game is top notch and an example that would be put in a video for new players. At max distance d1 will push the opponent out of a counter poke range, and she can wait and see if they try anyway, if they do... she whiff punishes for like 45% at least?

Everyone has footsie game that revolve around what makes them great. Great players figure out how to create the space and advantage they need with them. MK9 revolves around pokes that create the space ... they are all normally quick and have +frames on hit. There are PLENTY of specials and ranged normals that also do the trick. It is all character dependent.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feel free to utilize this thread for footsie discussion. No need to make another one for each character or anything.

Durpity Durp

Fan Fan Fan D1 D1 D1...Kitana Wins.
Jumping back is good. Just pointing that out. Its safe most of the time. I have to dash or jump back constantly to escape cage and sonya pressure

Durpity Durp

Fan Fan Fan D1 D1 D1...Kitana Wins.
I always wondered about the specifics of the footsies. Thanks for the info. I thought it was many low kicks. At least thats what some would say when I asked.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I learned my footsies from tiddlywinks.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
yeah, god damn fucking jumping... What is this Super Mario brothers?
Getting back into the game and I find myself jumping more than I do in any game. I just don't know everyone's spacing right now, but it seems the top players I've been playing have pretty good footsies, at least for online.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bump...Nice to hear Footsie talk in a game like MK.
Footsies are in every fighter. Once you focus on improving and really paying attention to footsies, you realize how important they are.

Getting back into the game and I find myself jumping more than I do in any game. I just don't know everyone's spacing right now, but it seems the top players I've been playing have pretty good footsies, at least for online.
Online you rarely find someone with adequate spacing. Most will jump out of pressure, jump in to pressure and try to play the stay away game.

Bump. This article was linked to me, and it is an excellent resource for learning and reassessing your understanding of the fundamentals of footsies, mindgames/yomi, and more. Although it is rooted in Street Fighter, many of the core principles still apply or can be translated to MK without much of a hitch. I strongly recommend everyone take a look through at least the intro and first article, you can never be too good to reassess your fundamentals and go back to the basics.

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702