What's new

Final Fantasy XIII Discussion Thread

crystalcage

Top Contributor
Gauge Canceling:

This is a cool glitch ive found that could really speed the pace of the matches up for you.

1) Build your ATB meter on one of the paradigms and do your attacks

2) Rebuild your ATB meter with however many attacks you want. (I use 1 attack real quick just so get to step 3 quicker)

3) Select a different paradigm and your ATB meter will be instantly refilled back to the top.

After step 3, simply do step 2 again.

High Level shit right there
I don't believe this is in the book but I did hear of this already.
My friend (you know the 1 who has been teasing me about the game) told me about this the other day but he didn't explain it as in depth as you did.

Either way, great tip!

No problem. Just be careful between steps 2 and 3 not to switch Paradigms too fast. Like for example, lightning does a backflip after her attacks. Wait till she is done backflipping, then gauge cancel.

Another nice tip - use libra to find elemental weakness and use thunder/aqua/etc slashs and spells to build staggers very quick.

Very nice, girls. Id have to say, now after beating the game, my favorite 2 tracks are Fighting Fate and Hope Anew.

With that said, FF13 was an awesome game. Even after beating it a few hours ago, theres still plenty more to do. Have fun trying to figure out how to beat the final boss. Took me 2 days to do. Then i said fuck it, made one adjustment to my party and beat it on that first try. Go figure. So yea, good luck trying to figure it out. Ill be here if you need me.

I did find another glitch that i call Para-Canceling. Its with juggles, but also can be used otherwise. Hard to do, but when launching someone the camera is always supposed to lock a certain way (for example: on the staggering hit, it zooms in). If you time your juggle just right, and cancel it at the end with circle, then justframe the paradigm switch, the cpu will instantly jump up and do its juggle (Gauge Canceling) and the game will skip the Paradigm Shift Animations. So you could do each characters 5 hits, then Para-Cancel for at least 10 more if they have enough life for it. Very difficult to set up, but i will be recording it very soon, along with combos in general.

One thing to note about the glitch is they tend to jump up instantly more often when in haste.

Again, youll know you did it right at least when the camera stays frozen in the air with you when you paradigm shift. It wont cut to the animations. Normally when the glitch doesnt happen is yours, or whoevers juggling will just drop down to the ground regardless of what point theyre at in their gauge, and do the Paradigm Shift Animations. But if youre quick enough and cancel your last attack and managed to switch paras fast enough. Voila, you have Para-Canceling. At that point all that will matter is if your partys meter is Gauge Canceled (very difficult to set up.....extremly situational)

While Para-Canceling is not that big of a deal because even after they land they cannot move and you can just OTG launch them, its still very fancy looking to get a possible 30 hit open air combo in there. And if you can end it with Army of One (a long drawn out special attack youll learn later in the game) it would just look epic as hell. But the odds of pulling it off are ridiculously hard, mostly being due by the time you stagger them they wont have that much life left, or, the enemy you fight is so tough to do it on that you cannot properly find the time to set it up.

RoGE

Noob
^Check, you really should be a game tester, you have a pretty good eye on these types of things.

So far, I am really digging the gameplay, the storyline seems pretty bad to me but the gameplay makes up for it, I really hated 12, it was so damn boring to me. It seems like they also really tried hard with the graphics, all of the visuals look amazing.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I'm not feeling FFXIII. Don't like the characters or the story. Controlling 1 character....>.> I don't think the game has an open map like the rest of them either. Now FFXIII versus.(Can't wait!!!)

Nonetheless, it's still a good game.

Heres some FF13 Combos i did yesterday:

Im working on a combo video for this game, but it will be a long ways away before its done. My characters are mainly too overpowered for much else. Scary part is they are actually mid tier at the moment.

Solo - the pace of the fights are too fast to control with 3 characters now. My only gripe with it is not being able to assign the attacks you want them to do etc.

Roge - Thank you dude.

BOSSETTE

Noob
I'm excited to see more combos, Check. :)
And WOW the fal'Cie in chapter 9 was a bitch to beat at first, until I finally figured out how to beat it. :rant2:

Thanks boss. I actually have a few more recorded, but i was trying to get a 100% combo with a surprise at the end. I already recorded the same combo, but it didnt do 100%, so i spent all my money on upgrading lol. Fucking HAD IT. The combo is so glitchy because you can actually continue comboing an enemy after its stagger meter is gone. They are supposed to drop down when that happens.. but eveeeeeeerytime i do this combo they always drop back down at the very end. I have no idea how to get the very end of it. It just randomly happens ;(

Fucking had it... ;(

Barthandelus is my favorite character in the game. He's going right back in my sig later. Hope you enjoyed the epic fight and the epic music ("Fighting Fate") They had to give the coolest character in the game the best music :) BARTHANDELUS SPEAKS THE TRUTH YALL lol

BOSSETTE

Noob
Thanks boss. I actually have a few more recorded, but i was trying to get a 100% combo with a surprise at the end. I already recorded the same combo, but it didnt do 100%, so i spent all my money on upgrading lol. Fucking HAD IT. The combo is so glitchy because you can actually continue comboing an enemy after its stagger meter is gone. They are supposed to drop down when that happens.. but eveeeeeeerytime i do this combo they always drop back down at the very end. I have no idea how to get the very end of it. It just randomly happens ;(

Fucking had it... ;(

Barthandelus is my favorite character in the game. He's going right back in my sig later. Hope you enjoyed the epic fight and the epic music ("Fighting Fate") They had to give the coolest character in the game the best music :) BARTHANDELUS SPEAKS THE TRUTH YALL lol
Oh, that sucks. :(
But I bet it's still beastly. ;)
Ugh, how can you like Barthandelus! Lol. I guess he's pretty cool though with all those heads.
Well, I'm stuck on the l'cie boss (chapter 10), any tips?

Well, I'm stuck on the l'cie boss (chapter 10), any tips?
He changes roles from Offense to Defense. Use Sentinels on his attacks because having SEN in your party reduces the damage you take by half, having more then one SEN will reduce the damage even more.

RAV SEN SEN - keep his meter built with RAV and have SEN provoke him so that your leader doesnt die

RAV SEN MED - same as above, but keep yourself healed

use Renew as well

Try to learn his debuffs and after his major attacks on your SEN, switch to RAV COM RAV to build his meter.

This is one of the most annoying fights in the game. You'll be spending a good amount of time in RAV SEN SEN or COM SEN SEN just letting him attack your SEN's while you attack him with your COM. To my knowledge theres not much else you can do. Have plenty of potions and phoenix downs for the battle.

___

About Barthandelus, i meant i love his coverup form. Still, his Falcie form is awesome because of the epic music and epic fight, which i consider to be the best part of the game. I just think he is the overall best character in the game (besides the baby chocobo chick :)).

If my post does not help you, then i apoligize. I have only played through the game once and did not spend time rebattling much. I deleted all my save states because i ran out of room from saving so much, so i cannot go back and record it for you. Hope it works out, and sorry if my info is not 100% accurate.

BOSSETTE

Noob
If my post does not help you, then i apoligize. I have only played through the game once and did not spend time rebattling much. I deleted all my save states because i ran out of room from saving so much, so i cannot go back and record it for you. Hope it works out, and sorry if my info is not 100% accurate.
I'm sure it'll work, because when I fought the boss last time, I didn't even have a strategy. -_-
Did you also summon at all?

I'm sure it'll work, because when I fought the boss last time, I didn't even have a strategy. -_-
Did you also summon at all?
I doubt it. I rarely ever use summons. Use Renew as i mentioned. Just make sure you have one Sentinel to provoke him and youll win.

The Final Fantasy 13 Combo Video Tribute is about halfway complete. Here are 2 new combos in the video which i am very proud of. In the first video you will see what i was explaining last night about the enemy just dropping down for no reason even while being juggled. Good thing all the hits connected before he dropped. Both videos are still processing, so give them time quality-wise.

BOSSETTE

Noob
I doubt it. I rarely ever use summons. Use Renew as i mentioned. Just make sure you have one Sentinel to provoke him and youll win.
Your advice helped, Check. :)
I used RAV SEN MED and I beat him a lot faster than I thought.
Your advice has also helped me fight other enemies more efficiently, so thanks again. :)

I believe ive found out why the enemies fall to the ground while being juggled.

There is a chain bonus meter right below the stagger meter that multiplies on every hit, resulting in more damage on each hit as it goes up until it reaches 1000%. I believe once it hits a 1000% the game is saying "You have reached the maximum damage for this combo (if airborne)", then resets. A lot like how the meter in MKvsDC works, only you only have fill it up halfway before you can end the combo.

Had i done my combos without using fortisol, i would of increased this chain bonus meter at a much lower rate due to not having bravery/faith casted upon me, allowing many more Para-Cancels and whatnot...

This creates a problem for me because no enemy other then a juggernaut has enough HP for me to work with without filling their chain bonus meter up too quick. And i dont want the whole video to just be combos vs one enemy... not that i have much else to work with. I guess juggernauts are the kahn/darkseid for juggles in this game lol.

Im starting to have second thoughts about doing this video.