What's new

Evo Rules Update - MKX and USF4 on PS4 (Arcade Stick Debacle)

Evo Rules have just recently been updated across all games and it appears that MKX (as of right now) will be played on PS4.

Here is the link: http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

Mortal Kombat X
  • Game version: PlayStation 4
  • Game Settings: Versus Mode, 2/3 Games, 99 Seconds
  • If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds, the match will be random stage select.
For players that play on Arcade Stick, what are your plans? Will you be modding an existing stick to be able to play on PS4, or will you be shelling out another $150+ dollars for a new next-gen arcade stick?

This will honestly probably be a bigger problem in the USF4 scene as most competitive players seem to play on arcade stick.

My personal opinion, I would really appreciate it if developers incorporated PS3 arcade stick drivers into their games (created by Lab Zero the developers of Skull Girls).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/27/skullgirls-encore-developer-creates-ps3-to-ps4-controller-drivers

I don't know if this will get any traction or not, but since MKX is still in development; Why not ask/try? You developers at NRS would look like geniuses and saints.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
it cost me 250$ to get an arcade stick in my hands, its hurting me badly to know i have to spend another 250$ for a Stick compactible to PS4.

The money i'm saving right now is for a PS4 and pre-order MKX, its kinda hurtful to not being able to play with my existing stick from the start.

I only pray NRS devs at least look into this, not only it would help the scene, but the entrant numbers on tournaments might increase too.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
As happy as this makes me being a ps4 user.
I feel this year is still a bit too early to be putting these titles on the PS4, especially USFIV.
This change should wait till next year.

Pad is superior in MK anyway so this isnt a big deal imo.

Everyone knew months ago that PS4 was gonna be the version used in tournaments so no one should be surprised.

I wonder how hard it is to install this driver everyone talking about, it's pretty late in the game to be bringing it up to NRS now. I didn't know about it so I know Boon didnt know.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Everyone knew months ago that PS4 was gonna be the version used in tournaments so no one should be surprised.

I wonder how hard it is to install this driver everyone talking about, it's pretty late in the game to be bringing it up to NRS now. I didn't know about it so I know Boon didnt know.
Boon knows he has been adressed about this 2 times already.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
so I very recently spent a solid 2 weeks playing MK9 with only my PS4 controller, I can honestly say from my experience, the dualshock 4 is NOT the way to go when compared to say, a worn in dualshock 3. i'm hoping for a PS3 to PS4 adapter before EVO or I will be going with the fight commander :/

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Has there been any word on the MKx PDP pad for PS4?

I read for XboxOne it will be backward compatable with 360. If the one they release for PS4 is compatable with PS3, then there is a PCB for cheep,

The Pad will probably sell for 50-60 bucks would be my guess, much cheeper then a new stick.

If I was playing MKx on stick I would be looking into this, or a similar mod from a pad PCB.

Edit: Just read that the pad will be compatible with PS3 and PS4, thats the way I would go then.

zaf

professor
Has there been any word on the MKx PDP pad for PS4?
I read for XboxOne it will be backward compatable with 360. If the one they release for PS4 is compatable with PS3, then there is a PCB for cheep,
The Pad will probably sell for 50-60 bucks would be my guess, much cheeper then a new stick.
If I was playing MKx on stick I would be looking into this, or a similar mod from a pad PCB.
Edit: Just read that the pad will be compatible with PS3 and PS4, thats the way I would go then.
Have they released any information that they are making a pdp pad for ps3/4 for mkx? I haven't seen one. I have only been able to find the xbox pad.

zaf

professor

I think it is more a matter of preference. I had learned how to play most fighting games on Arcade Stick so it is what I am comfortable with. I think with games like SF4 there is an advantage to playing on arcade stick. This will likely be an issue for players that play on Hitbox as well.

I would like to hear some opinions from other players that I know also use arcade stick when playing, I realize this might be an irrelevant topic for players that play on pad.

@CD jr
@GGA Dizzy
@michaelangelo
@Chaosphere
@Tyrant (can't find username on here)
@Godspeed (also can't find username)

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I will try to get a video put up this weekend showcasing a convertor I put together that has allowed me to use my stick, hitbox and pad on ps4. Here is the write up so far I have that covers points I will try to cover in the video.

Why a convertor and not a dual mod?

It comes down to preference and price. I like to play multiple fighting games, but use different controller types for each one. For example, for capcom fighters I prefer a stick, for NRS fighters I prefer a hitbox and when gaming in the early hours of the morning, my wife and son prefer I use a pad. Quad modding all these controllers to work with current and next gen systems would cost too much money. A convertor just makes more sense in this instance.

What does this convertor do and how is it assembled?

This convertor is composed of 2 components:

1. Undamnded USB Decoder: This takes inputs from your 360 or PS3 USB controller and turns that into wire signals that you can use to control anything. Info thread on SRK (http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/186701/undamneds-usb-decoders-usb-to-jamma-etc/p1 ) and where to purchase (http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/undamned-usb-decoder/1491-undamned-usb-decoder.html).

2. Common Ground Donor PS4 or Xbox One PCB: This is the pcb that will communicate with your next gen system. For PS4 pad I recommend the Hori Fight commander 4 (http://www.play-asia.com/fighting-commander-4-paOS-13-49-en-70-7sn9.html) and for Xbox One I recommend the Hori xbox one horipad pad (http://www.amazon.com/HORI-HORIPAD-Xbox-Officially-Licensed-Controller/dp/B00O7LPXWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424101313&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+horipad+xbox+one+wired+controller ). Information on how to hack these pads can be found on SRK (PS4: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/194825/third-party-ps4-padhack-options/p1 for Xbox one: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/194011/first-wave-of-third-party-xbox-one-padhack-options#latest ). Thank you @Gummowned.

We can take the directional and action output signals we get from the undamned usb decoder and connect them to the corresponding signals in our doner pcb pad to make a convertor that takes as its input 360 or ps3 signals and outputs an xbox one or ps4 signal. This is a convertor.

What about input lag?

Your lag, if any can come from 3 sources in the chain:

360/ps3 input controller -> Undamnded USB Decoder -> Donor PCB

There are about 16 ms in one frame. Typical input controllers can range from 1ms up to and beyond 14ms. The Undamnded USB decoder has been tested to show that it only introduces 1ms of latency into the chain. Since the undamned usb decoder and donor pcb will be constant in your chain and can be expected to be about 3 to 6 ms in latency, the biggest contributer to lag will be your input device. You would want to use something that keeps you within that frame window. You can use the data on this page (http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html ) to help you figure this out. To be honest, we are talking about ms differences here and in most cases below 1 frame. Many of you will not notice the difference.

Why this convertor over other commercially available convertors?

There are severl advantages to this convertor over commercially available ones.

1. Since you are using officially licensed controllers as your donor pcb, you do not have to worry about your convertor being patched out in a firmware update.

2. No lockout by the ps4. All commercially available convertors on the market have to deal with being booted off by the ps4 after 8 minutes. This is due to the convertor not being able to authenticate itself via bluetooth to the ps4. Since you are using an officially licensed controller pcb to directly communicate with the ps4, you will not have this problem.

3. Tournament legality. Undamnded USB decoder has been used at EVO and TFC. It was used to run SF ST on superguns. Simply put, it has no macros, you are coupling it with a licensend wired controller. It is tournament legal

Currently Supported Input Controllers:

The controllers on this list are controllers that I have either personnally tested or I have seen to work with Undamned USB decoder. If a controller is not on the list, it does not mean it is not supported, it only means that I did not have it on hand to test. Also the undamned usb decoder can have its firmware updated. Future updates might allow for use of controllers that are currently unsupported. You cannot use this as an xbox one to ps4 or vice versa convertor because the undamned usb decoder does not recognized ps4 or xbox one controllers as input devices.

Xbox 360:

1. Official wired xbox 360 controller

2. Madcatz TE round 1 arcade stick

3. Madcatz SF x Tekken fightpad

4. Hori RAP Kai

5. PS360+ in 360 mode

6. Etokki convertor (this will allow you to use ps2 pads. Input latency for this is sub 2 ms)

PS3:

1. Dual shock3 and Six axis

2. Toodle’s MC chtulu

3. PS360+ in PS3 mode (For Hitbox users I recommend this mode. Access it by holding down jab (1 P) while pluggin in your hitbox)

USB Controllers:

1. Logitech F310 controller in x input mode

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
@MortySeinfeld

I'm turning my qanba q4 I bought years ago (and barely used) into a hitbox that has the ps360+, the xb1, and ps4 PCBs in it. So I'll be able to play on all systems. It's expensive though. So I guess it's not a solution for everyone.

I've already bought new buttons and silencing pads. I ordered a custom plexi panel to replace the default qanba panel so I can turn it into a hitbox. And I'm having Gummo do all of the wiring.

d3v

SRK
People might as well get ready for this. While nothing official has been announced, it's most likely that every major that's part of the Capcom Pro Tour (or at least, a Premier Event) will be running USFIV on PS4 due to the Sony sponsorship. This means that these TOs will be getting PS4s which will also influence where the other games are played.

That would null variations at that point. It should be winner is character and variation locked only if the loser only changes variation. If loser changes character, winner should be able to change variation only.
In marvel the loser is allowed to change characters and their assists as well. That would not null variations, that would make sure we don't have a counterpick fest (but this would only apply to the characters with more than one good variation and I mean if y'all want counter pick galore then I can handle that :p)

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
In marvel the loser is allowed to change characters and their assists as well. That would not null variations, that would make sure we don't have a counterpick fest (but this would only apply to the characters with more than one good variation and I mean if y'all want counter pick galore then I can handle that :p)
I don't know, I don't see variations as a different character, but more so as different tools. Let's say you beat me with Inferno Scorpion against my Swarm Queen D'vorah and I decide to switch to Venomous to deal more damage up close. You shouldn't have the ability to switch to Ninjustu to get added range on your normals in order to keep me out.

But if I switch to Assassin Kitana, you should be able to make a variation switch to Ninjutsu so it wouldn't be a hard counter pick, but instead putting us on equal ground again.

That's just the way I see it.