What's new

EVO 2013 Documentary Project

Should I go forward with this project?

• Total voters

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
So i was Watching the Latest episode of the MK road to evo 2012 , and i was impressed and love the way it portrays our community.
I would love to see more of this being made in order to show those who don't understand competitive gaming as we do. As well as tell a story and show what this community is all about.
So i came to the conclusion that something like this must be done for this year! with not only MK9 being at EVO but Injustice as well. Capcom community has a ton of videos and great projects like this showcasing their community, but it fails to show OUR community.

Im really interested in taking the time this year to Film around and put together a similiar video in order to show the ppl who cannot make it this year, what the full tournament experiance may feel like outside what people see on stream.
For those who have traveled before, we know how awesome and fun it can be outside the tournament itself. Hanging out with fellow players and talking all things games as well as some off topic discussions that people don't get to see on stream.

Im wondering who is interested in me making a related style film for this year?
With interviews, random moments, off stream conversations and such.

All i ask if for you guys to post your opinion as well as watch and follow the episodes that will be released following the tournament on my youtube channel Youtube.com/KombatHouston

Let me know what you guys would like to see on there, as well as certain players you want to see more off and certain topics you want them to discuss...

Hopefully this encourages players who are on the fence to making it out to a Tournament just because they think they aren't good enough to compete, but as many of us know, there is much more to a Tournament Experience..

If the feedback is great, they i will definitely invest in getting some Recording/Audio equipment for the coming weekend.

Here is the clip i was refereeing too

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So i was Watching the Latest episode of the MK road to evo 2012 , and i was impressed and love the way it portrays our community.
I would love to see more of this being made in order to show those who don't understand competitive gaming as we do. As well as tell a story and show what this community is all about.
So i came to the conclusion that something like this must be done for this year! with not only MK9 being at EVO but Injustice as well. Capcom community has a ton of videos and great projects like this showcasing their community, but it fails to show OUR community.

Im really interested in taking the time this year to Film around and put together a similiar video in order to show the ppl who cannot make it this year, what the full tournament experiance may feel like outside what people see on stream.
For those who have traveled before, we know how awesome and fun it can be outside the tournament itself. Hanging out with fellow players and talking all things games as well as some off topic discussions that people don't get to see on stream.

Im wondering who is interested in me making a related style film for this year?
With interviews, random moments, off stream conversations and such.

All i ask if for you guys to post your opinion as well as watch and follow the episodes that will be released following the tournament on my youtube channel Youtube.com/KombatHouston

Let me know what you guys would like to see on there, as well as certain players you want to see more off and certain topics you want them to discuss...

Hopefully this encourages players who are on the fence to making it out to a Tournament just because they think they aren't good enough to compete, but as many of us know, there is much more to a Tournament Experience..

If the feedback is great, they i will definitely invest in getting some Recording/Audio equipment for the coming weekend.

Here is the clip i was refereeing too

So are you planning on also filming at evo this year?

Cat

So are you planning on also filming at evo this year?
Also??
who else is working on this? havent heard anything. so thats why i put the idea out there

Edit: I guess you were refeereing to aside from the stream ..
yeah i wouldn't mind doing both..

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
I have that fancy Sony Vegas movie editing program thingy so i can help in some ways

Cat

I have that fancy Sony Vegas movie editing program thingy so i can help in some ways

Well I have adobe premire pro as well as after effects.. although i haven't put much time in learning i will definitely be using them for the film

Cat

I'd watch the hell out it.I got all the software myself but don't know how to use it because I never do.

awesome.. liking the positive feedback.. might just make a trip to best buy now and get some equipment

testyourpatience

Ya'll stingy
Dont visualize the entire community to what a few ppl and mostly new ppl on this site think..
aren't you the guy who left joker because he sucks but are now all over him because of his buffs? but youre right: a few people wanting to buff characters less than a week after they're relased is whats making the community look bad.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Don't wanna be "that guy" but please don't build up false hope! Doing something like this would take a ton of time and it would take a ton of time away from you or anyone else you helped, from getting games in and playing. I know from my experience last year and trying to record as many MK9 pool matches as possible. Of course, it would be awesome but it would take a lot of time.

By all means, go for it but this is also Evo. ;)

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Don't wanna be "that guy" but please don't build up false hope! Doing something like this would take a ton of time and it would take a ton of time away from you or anyone else you helped, from getting games in and playing. I know from my experience last year and trying to record as many MK9 pool matches as possible. Of course, it would be awesome but it would take a lot of time.

^^^ true

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Proper prep time and scheduling is necessary for these kind of things to pan out well. Not sure if you've ever done a film project, but like STORMS said; no one's on your watch.

If you can set it up right, I'm sure it will be amazing. Good luck!

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Proper prep time and scheduling is necessary for these kind of things to pan out well. Not sure if you've ever done a film project, but like STORMS said; no one's on your watch.

If you can set it up right, I'm sure it will be amazing. Good luck!
How I would personally do it...

• Make sure you have MULTIPLE memory cards for an HD camera and preferably and you kind of have to have a mic for interviews.
  • Investigate pool assignments and select top player matches and times they play
  • Interview several competitors you've never heard of before and ask them "why" they came to EVO
  • Capture hype moments, which are the most difficult to get due to them happening like falling stars. Perhaps look for top players facing "no names" and wait for the blowup

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
Some other tips:

- You never want to use an on-camera mic for interviews. Renting a boom or lavalier would be your best bet.
- It's always good to have a list of all the possible places you will be shooting in. Setting up the camera in the right spot with the right lighting takes longer than you think, so doing some scouting beforehand is always helpful.
- I believe the most important part about a documentary is the questions you ask. You should always come prepared with a list of questions to ask. On-the-fly interviews suck.
- You never want to be to direct with your questions. You want them to a bit broad and general so your subject can expand on what he's saying. That's where most of the juicy stuff comes from.
- As always, don't make it feel like an interrogation. It should feel like two people having a conversation.

Reactions: Cat

Cat

oh i know.. im not invested in injustice.. so i dont mind taking away from me having casuals in it in order to try and win the tournament.. i know i wont win or make top 8 cus i have not invested any time on it as much as other ppl who will be there..
both my pools are 8am.. mk finishes friday at like 6pm so even so i have time to film after my 8am pool and after..

Im not all that focus on winning, im going becuase its a good time with the community as well as being in vegas and what not..

i understand your concern, but dont worry i dont get salty when i lose :p

Cat

How I would personally do it...

• Make sure you have MULTIPLE memory cards for an HD camera and preferably and you kind of have to have a mic for interviews.
  • Investigate pool assignments and select top player matches and times they play
  • Interview several competitors you've never heard of before and ask them "why" they came to EVO
  • Capture hype moments, which are the most difficult to get due to them happening like falling stars. Perhaps look for top players facing "no names" and wait for the blowup
thanks for the tips man.. ill definetly be contacting players ahead of time to try and get scheduling right .
i will for sure get some lavalier mics for interviews for better sound quality to go over the video .

Cat

Some other tips:

- You never want to use an on-camera mic for interviews. Renting a boom or lavalier would be your best bet.
- It's always good to have a list of all the possible places you will be shooting in. Setting up the camera in the right spot with the right lighting takes longer than you think, so doing some scouting beforehand is always helpful.
- I believe the most important part about a documentary is the questions you ask. You should always come prepared with a list of questions to ask. On-the-fly interviews suck.
- You never want to be to direct with your questions. You want them to a bit broad and general so your subject can expand on what he's saying. That's where most of the juicy stuff comes from.
- As always, don't make it feel like an interrogation. It should feel like two people having a conversation.
very great tips
and about the questions im thinking of some right now, and as well i mentioned for ppl to give opinions on what they want to hear about, as well as the kind of questions they want certain players to answer.