What's new

Eurogamer EGX: MKX build full notes list from The Kombat Tether

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Hello again!

Back again with more info from EuroGamer EGX, this time will a full list of impressions and notes of everything The Kombat Tether noticed, and could get their hands on with their time with the game this week.

Full list can be found on the Tether's website here: http://www.thekombattether.com/egx/mortal-kombat-x-impressions/

Read here on TYM: please keep in mind this is all from an early build of the game, and all is subject to change.

"CASSIE CAGE

• Her face definitely looks more feminine than it did at Gamescom, especially close up. Her eyes now have a little more makeup to them on the upper eyelids and her eyebrows are no longer so comically arched along with some softening to the planes of her face. A marked improvement, but her neck is still giraffe-like in this build.
  • We mentioned her face, hair and neck issues to Derek and he clarified that the team are aware and she is still being polished aesthetically as well as with her animations.
  • Universal Moves across all variations: Getaway Flip, Akimbo Shot and Glo-Kick.
  • Her EX Nut Kracker move (Hollywood variation) delivers two punches in a row and delivers a very generous stun time to the opponent. She drops to her knees and punches with both fists together.
  • You can instant-air her Air Akimbo special and they have excellent recovery frames.
  • Cassie's taunt (The American Way - Spec Ops variation) does not currently do anything at all at present. NRS have not yet determined its purpose.
  • If you tie in her Air Assault special after her Air Akimbo you can deal crazy air pressure to the opponent and essentially cage them in following on to the ground.
  • The Hollywood variation is definitely her strongest from what we dabbled with. We managed to string together some fantastic combos with her incorporating her Nut Kracker, combo string, Getaway Flip, a run, 2nd combo string, Air Akimbo, jump in punch, 3rd combo string and finishing with an EX Glo-Kick. Probably one of the easiest variations out of all characters at this point to pick up and be competent with.
  • Cassie will say “Suck on that!” after certain combos/moves.
  • As player 2, Cassie's costume is a yellowish-green colour.
FERRA/TORR

• In the Lackey variation, Torr has a 'Torr Charge' special that looks and acts just like Bane's charge in Injustice. EX version adds armour and allows you to hold Torr in a stance until you're ready to unleash him.
  • Also in the Lackey variation is the 'Boulder Roll' and the 'Rising Torr' which are both incredibly fast.
  • We tried to unmask Torr with Scorpions Fatality but as the face begins to slide off, the cloth remains stuck to his face. It seems deliberate that they are obscuring his face. Are they keeping his identity under wraps or is he merely a nameless brute?
  • We performed Raiden's Fatality on Torr and both of his eyes popped out. His covered eye bursts through the cloth.
D'VORAH:

• Universal Moves: Bug Blast, Ovipositor Rush, Spawn Puddle.
  • D'Vorah is Derek Kirtzic's firm favourite in this build and one of his favourite characters overall.
  • You can do a standing reset in her Venomous variation if you time her Acid Spray special right and you can get a 50/50 mix-up off of that too.
  • As player 2, D'Vorah's costume is purple.
KOTAL KAHN

• Kotal Kahn's body markings will begin to brighten as you power him up using chain-combos after performing his Blood Offering special move.
  • NetherRealm Studios will be explaining his various Totems in Blood God along with his other variations in the coming weeks.
  • EX Sun Ray deals a little more damage to the opponent within its reach and heals Kotal Kahn marginally faster.
RAIDEN

• In his ‘Master Of Storms’ variation, you can place static lightning traps above, in front and below where Raiden is standing.
  • In his ‘Master Of Storms’ variation, the static lightning traps will disappear after a set time if not connected.
  • It is possible to connect two lightning traps at full screen in the air if you're quick to navigate from one end of the stage to the other before they disappear.
  • The opponent can jump/walk through an unconnected lightning trap and not receive any damage.
  • You can connect lightning traps by performing an electrical special move at or towards them. His Lightning Blast and Lightning Projectile will enable the traps.
  • He does different poses during his mid-match victory pose depending on which variation you are playing. ‘Thunder God’ Raiden will discharge electricity all around him and ‘Master Of Storms’ Raiden will raise his arm and strike lightning into the air.
  • As player 2, Raiden's costume is red.
KANO

• His standard Eye Laser special in ‘Cybernetic’ only has sweep range unless you use the EX version.
  • Some of Kano's combo strings in his Cutthroat variation can be meter-burned to extend them further.
  • Kano will yell “I’ll slit your throat” after certain combos/moves.
  • He also says ‘Gotta stay sharp, ha ha’ in his mid-match victory pose.
SUB-ZERO

• Currently you cannot create an Ice Clone in the air in his ‘Grandmaster’ variation. This may be because NRS have not yet finished an animation for him to grab and throw one from the air? Fingers crossed.
  • In his mid-match victory pose, Sub-Zero will say “I will freeze your spine!”
SCORPION

• Scorpion’s face (Seen by performing his fatality in a mirror match) strongly resemble Ian Anthony Dale, the actor who portrayed the character in Mortal Kombat: Legacy, but with a moustache!
  • As player 2, Scorpion's costume has a more orange hue.
GAMEPLAY INFORMATION

• Derek emphasized that game balance across the characters and their variations is a top priority and are accommodating this task accordingly.
  • Characters may have different mid-match victory poses based on which variation you are using, for example ‘Thunder God’ Raiden will discharge electricity all around him and ‘Master Of Storms’ Raiden will raise his arm and strike lightning into the air.
  • Currently all trade hits are +0 as fair advantage for both players.
  • Cross-ups have taken the majority of influence from MK9 rather than Injustice.
  • The stamina meter will refill during combos. Whether you are delivering one or receiving one.
  • Runs can be cancelled into back-dashes, forward-dashes, special moves and normal attacks. They can be cancelled also by blocking, but it is not in any way similar to dash cancels in MK9.
  • Some character variations will allow you to meter-burn combo strings to extend them further. At present, Kano has this ability in his Cutthroat variation. We didn't check with other characters unfortunately as we discovered this later than we had hoped.
DIALOGUES

Kano: "You talk too much, Torr."
Ferra: “You can't hear Torr!"
Kano: "Whatever."

Raiden: "Sub-Zero..."
Sub-Zero: "Fear their powers Raiden."
Raiden: "That is my challenge…”

D'Vorah: "Your times passed [Inaudible]."
Sub-Zero: "My day is finally dark."

Kano: "Bedtime baby."
Cassie Cage: "Ha, you'll be the one taking a nap."
Kano: "*spits* COME TO ME!"

Scorpion: "You must restore my family!"
Raiden: That ship has sailed."

Ferra: "{To Torr} Do you remember lightning man?"
Torr: "*Roars*"
Raiden: "[Inaudible] I can help you."
Ferra: "Yeah you talk, [Inaudible]."

Raiden: "Step aside cretin!"
D'Vorah: The emperor suggests YOU do it!"
Raiden: "I do not heed the emperor."

D'Vorah: "It's time for you now Raiden."
Raiden: "I can protect you D'Vorah."
D'Vorah: "Protection? It's pointless!"

Cassie Cage: "Scum…”
Kano: "Babe, first swing is on me."
Cassie Cage: "You’re full of it!”

D'Vorah: "[Inaudible] Kotal Kahn.”
Kotal Kahn: "[Inaudible] not angry with you."
D'Vorah: "How can I [Inaudible] don’t listen [Inaudible].”

Kano: "[Inaudible]"
Kotal Kahn: "[Inaudible] joining of the realms."

Kano: "[Inaudible] again."
Cassie Cage: "[Inaudible] don’t try it with me!"

Kano: "[Inaudible] your mother."
Cassie Cage: "[Inaudible]"
D'Vorah: "Your [Inaudible] nemesis.”
Scorpion: "[Inaudible]"
D'Vorah: "Ignorant just as [Inaudible]."

D'Vorah: "Kotal….”
Kotal Kahn: "With which face do you see me?"
D'Vorah: "There is no other power greater than ours!” "

Thanks to Warner Bros UK, NetherRealm Studios and The Kombat Tether for this information!

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
FERRA/TORR

• We tried to unmask Torr with Scorpions Fatality but as the face begins to slide off, the cloth remains stuck to his face. It seems deliberate that they are obscuring his face. Are they keeping his identity under wraps or is he merely a nameless brute?
  • We performed Raiden's Fatality on Torr and both of his eyes popped out. His covered eye bursts through the cloth.
I said it and I will say it again, Torr is ....*drum roll*:

Slymind

Noob
Those inaudibles...

C'mon NRS review more stuff!

Thx for all the information once again gentlemen, really nice!

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
MB combo strings? hmmmm also i like how you can Run Cancel into Back dash, running and baiting Reactions looks to be what high level Footsies will be like in MKX, sounds good.

Two questions- are the [Inaudible] things stuff people just couldn't make out, or is NRS obscuring it on purpose to avoid spoiling things?

Second, when does this happen, as it involves 4 characters talking? Was there more than just match footage? i've been out of the loop to say the least.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Wow. This is very thorough and informative. Thank you so much!

Her face definitely looks more feminine than it did at Gamescom, especially close up. Her eyes now have a little more makeup to them on the upper eyelids and her eyebrows are no longer so comically arched along with some softening to the planes of her face. A marked improvement, but her neck is still giraffe-like in this build.

Thank God! Her animations are so distracting...

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
You can do a standing reset in her Venomous variation if you time her Acid Spray special right and you can get a 50/50 mix-up off of that too.

....as a Killer Frost main, this excites me. Team D'Vorah (for now). ;)

Subby Z

Noob
I wonder if Raiden talking with Ferra/Torr and D'Vorah is like he's trying to "recruit" them to his cause.

I also wonder if the exchange between Raiden and Sub-Zero is Raiden questioning how could Sub-Zero be there because he's dead.

Raiden: Sub-Zero...(Raiden questioning his existence)
Sub-Zero: Fear their power Raiden (speaking on behalf of the other heroes)
Raiden: That is my challenge(Raiden knows the heroes have turned against him and he must face them hence his recruiting of Ferra/Torr D'Vorah)

That's just my speculation though.

I think and hope it's Kuai because he got shafted harder than anyone because of Raiden's meddling.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just remember guys, take this info with a grain of salt -- a LOT changed in IGAU beween the Oct. 2012-ish demo build and the final version of the game.

Thanks KT for all the info and the thorough write-up.

VOR

Noob
I said it and I will say it again, Torr is ....*drum roll*:
Really? One of the first things I notice about Shao Kahn is how evenly proportioned his body shape is. And then Torr is ALL arms. Maybe some shit happened that warped his body and made him all hunchy? The mask… intriguing. IDK the body shape seems all wrong.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
NRS is turning Kano's evil charm up to 11 in this game and I fucking love it.

It's probably due to lack of context, or Kano just being "flirty in a rapey way" in general, but it seems like a bit of sexual tension is going on there....

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Really? One of the first things I notice about Shao Kahn is how evenly proportioned his body shape is. And then Torr is ALL arms. Maybe some shit happened that warped his body and made him all hunchy? The mask… intriguing. IDK the body shape seems all wrong.
Yeah, I think something happened to him, maybe a punishment from the gods? Anyway, don't forget the red eye:
[\spoiler]

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
Hello again!

Back again with more info from EuroGamer EGX, this time will a full list of impressions and notes of everything The Kombat Tether noticed, and could get their hands on with their time with the game this week.

Full list can be found on the Tether's website here: http://www.thekombattether.com/egx/mortal-kombat-x-impressions/

Read here on TYM: please keep in mind this is all from an early build of the game, and all is subject to change.

"CASSIE CAGE

• Her face definitely looks more feminine than it did at Gamescom, especially close up. Her eyes now have a little more makeup to them on the upper eyelids and her eyebrows are no longer so comically arched along with some softening to the planes of her face. A marked improvement, but her neck is still giraffe-like in this build.
  • We mentioned her face, hair and neck issues to Derek and he clarified that the team are aware and she is still being polished aesthetically as well as with her animations.
  • Universal Moves across all variations: Getaway Flip, Akimbo Shot and Glo-Kick.
  • Her EX Nut Kracker move (Hollywood variation) delivers two punches in a row and delivers a very generous stun time to the opponent. She drops to her knees and punches with both fists together.
  • You can instant-air her Air Akimbo special and they have excellent recovery frames.
  • Cassie's taunt (The American Way - Spec Ops variation) does not currently do anything at all at present. NRS have not yet determined its purpose.
  • If you tie in her Air Assault special after her Air Akimbo you can deal crazy air pressure to the opponent and essentially cage them in following on to the ground.
  • The Hollywood variation is definitely her strongest from what we dabbled with. We managed to string together some fantastic combos with her incorporating her Nut Kracker, combo string, Getaway Flip, a run, 2nd combo string, Air Akimbo, jump in punch, 3rd combo string and finishing with an EX Glo-Kick. Probably one of the easiest variations out of all characters at this point to pick up and be competent with.
  • Cassie will say “Suck on that!” after certain combos/moves.
  • As player 2, Cassie's costume is a yellowish-green colour.
FERRA/TORR

• In the Lackey variation, Torr has a 'Torr Charge' special that looks and acts just like Bane's charge in Injustice. EX version adds armour and allows you to hold Torr in a stance until you're ready to unleash him.
  • Also in the Lackey variation is the 'Boulder Roll' and the 'Rising Torr' which are both incredibly fast.
D'VORAH:

• Universal Moves: Bug Blast, Ovipositor Rush, Spawn Puddle.
  • D'Vorah is Derek Kirtzic's firm favourite in this build and one of his favourite characters overall.
  • You can do a standing reset in her Venomous variation if you time her Acid Spray special right and you can get a 50/50 mix-up off of that too.
  • As player 2, D'Vorah's costume is purple.
KOTAL KAHN

• Kotal Kahn's body markings will begin to brighten as you power him up using chain-combos after performing his Blood Offering special move.
  • NetherRealm Studios will be explaining his various Totems in Blood God along with his other variations in the coming weeks.
  • EX Sun Ray deals a little more damage to the opponent within its reach and heals Kotal Kahn marginally faster.
RAIDEN

• In his ‘Master Of Storms’ variation, you can place static lightning traps above, in front and below where Raiden is standing.
  • In his ‘Master Of Storms’ variation, the static lightning traps will disappear after a set time if not connected.
  • It is possible to connect two lightning traps at full screen in the air if you're quick to navigate from one end of the stage to the other before they disappear.
  • The opponent can jump/walk through an unconnected lightning trap and not receive any damage.
  • You can connect lightning traps by performing an electrical special move at or towards them. His Lightning Blast and Lightning Projectile will enable the traps.
  • He does different poses during his mid-match victory pose depending on which variation you are playing. ‘Thunder God’ Raiden will discharge electricity all around him and ‘Master Of Storms’ Raiden will raise his arm and strike lightning into the air.
  • As player 2, Raiden's costume is red.
KANO

• His standard Eye Laser special in ‘Cybernetic’ only has sweep range unless you use the EX version.
  • Some of Kano's combo strings in his Cutthroat variation can be meter-burned to extend them further.
  • Kano will yell “I’ll slit your throat” after certain combos/moves.
SUB-ZERO

• Currently you cannot create an Ice Clone in the air in his ‘Grandmaster’ variation. This may be because NRS have not yet finished an animation for him to grab and throw one from the air? Fingers crossed.
  • In his mid-match victory pose, Sub-Zero will say “I will freeze your spine!”
SCORPION

• Scorpion’s face (Seen by performing his fatality in a mirror match) strongly resemble Ian Anthony Dale, the actor who portrayed the character in Mortal Kombat: Legacy, but with a moustache!
  • As player 2, Scorpion's costume has a more orange hue.
GAMEPLAY INFORMATION

• Derek emphasized that game balance across the characters and their variations is a top priority and are accommodating this task accordingly.
  • Characters may have different mid-match victory poses based on which variation you are using, for example ‘Thunder God’ Raiden will discharge electricity all around him and ‘Master Of Storms’ Raiden will raise his arm and strike lightning into the air.
  • Currently all trade hits are +0 as fair advantage for both players.
  • Cross-ups have taken the majority of influence from MK9 rather than Injustice.
  • The stamina meter will refill during combos. Whether you are delivering one or receiving one.
  • Runs can be cancelled into back-dashes, forward-dashes, special moves and normal attacks. They can be cancelled also by blocking, but it is not in any way similar to dash cancels in MK9.
  • Some character variations will allow you to meter-burn combo strings to extend them further. At present, Kano has this ability in his Cutthroat variation. We didn't check with other characters unfortunately as we discovered this later than we had hoped.
DIALOGUES

Kano: "You talk too much, Torr."
Ferra: “You can't hear Torr!"
Kano: "Whatever."

Raiden: "Sub-Zero..."
Sub-Zero: "Fear their powers Raiden."
Raiden: "That is my challenge…”

D'Vorah: "Your times passed [Inaudible]."
Sub-Zero: "My day is finally dark."

Scorpion: "You must restore my family!"
Raiden: That ship has sailed."

Raiden: "[Inaudible] I can help you."
Ferra: "Yeah you talk, [Inaudible]."

Raiden: "Step aside cretin!"
D'Vorah: The emperor suggests YOU do it!"
Raiden: "I do not heed the emperor."

D'Vorah: "It's time for you now Raiden."
Raiden: "I can protect you D'Vorah."
D'Vorah: "Protection? It's pointless!"

D'Vorah: "[Inaudible] Kotal Kahn.”
Kotal Kahn: "[Inaudible] not angry with you."
D'Vorah: "How can I [Inaudible] don’t listen [Inaudible].”

Kano: "[Inaudible]"
Kotal Kahn: "[Inaudible] joining of the realms."

D'Vorah: "Kotal….”
Kotal Kahn: "With which face do you see me?"
D'Vorah: "There is no other power greater than ours!” "

Thanks to Warner Bros UK, NetherRealm Studios and The Kombat Tether for this information!

Are the inaudibles just mkt not hearing them fully (Which is fine and understandable I’m just curious) or is it because the devs intended it to be like that during the demo?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Nice, so you can cancel the runs into back dashes, moves, specials and even block(though it won't block right away like MK9) hmm think i'm going to use the back dash cancelling a lot as a zoning player myself.

Speaking of which as someone who loves zoning, totally maining Raiden, he looks GODLY for zoners seriously especially being able to detonate electrical connectors via electrical moves like lightning balls? That is fucking awesome! lol It'll allow him to set up traps, and shoot electric balls all over to connect them while allowing him to put more pressure and zoning. Lovely. Totally going to be my main or at least top 3 character in this game, unlike MK9 where they killed his TP, I like how his one variation can tp anywhere. Take that TP crybabies! I'm using displacer and Master of Storms! Maybe Thundergod, we'll see. If Ermac, Fujin and Sektor don't make it he will be my number one guy (at this point in time)

I don't think Torr is Shao Kahn...namely due to the fact that he has no magic what so ever, I think he's just a random brute aside from the Elder Gods vaporizing him. THEY would have ok Shao Kahn coming back some how and I just don't see that happening here.

I'm totally lost with Sub-Zero's words with "fear their power" but I do hope it's Kuai Liang or a descendant more so than Bi-Han honestly.

Ha, Scorpion I take it finds out the truth about Quan-Chi at some point and then begs Raiden to "restore his family" and Raiden says yeah...fuck that, you had your chance years ago lol and choosing to be Quan-Chi's bitch in the NR.

Cassie sounds interesting for zoning at least, wonder if her air guns will be as good or better than Harley's in Injustice?

Loving these dialogues, I have a weird feeling Kano either rapes Sonya or kills her at some point in the storyline. Just a theory.

Great update!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
i would've preferred him to be a darker blue with red lightning or normal with yellow lightning to be honest.
Yellow lightning? Dude, he's Raiden, not Pikachu! lol :p

LOL @Eddy Wang post and @aldazo s reply hahahaha. It's possible. I wouldn't mind seeing some MK sex for once the games already rated M why not go the full monty? lol