What's new

EG/PR Balrog wins Killer Instinct at Texas Showdown 2014!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This weekend, the top 8 for Killer Instinct kicked off the finals of Texas Showdown 2014! Players from varying regions across the country gathered in Houston for a vicious tug o' war that would not end for hours. Although the character roster in the game is currently less than ten characters right now, diversity proved strong and so did the staggering talent that all the players brought forth. Now, the final Ultra Combo has been landed and EG/PR Balrog brings home Orchid's first major tournament win from the southern United States!

Killer Instinct Grand Finals at Texas Showdown.png
The Grand Finals came down to EG/PR Balrog's Orchid from the Loser's Bracket and IC MyGod88's Sabrewulf from Winner's. Despite being sent to Loser's, Balrog successfully climbed back from the depths of defeat and broke his way into Grand Finals for the chance to wrestle the trophy away from MyGod, one of the Texas scene's highly accomplished players from the world of NRS games. The Grand Finals erupted with an absolute carnage that culminated in a consecutive six-win streak in favor of Balrog! Congratulations to him and major respects to the rest of the players who brought us an amazing Top 8!

Thanks go out to Level Up Live for broadcasting Killer Instinct to the FGC through their Twitch channel at www.twitch.tv/leveluplive. If you missed out and would like the chance to catch up, go straight to this archive and skip to the 9:30 mark!

Also, check out this video by @AcidGlow where we are treated to glimpses of the hype that was pouring from everybody at Texas Showdown!

And now, read on for the full results! Thanks to Shoryuken.com for archiving this information!

Final Results

Tournament Champion - EG|PR Balrog (Orchid)
2nd Place - IC|Mygod88 (Sabrewulf)
3rd Place - GOL|Zaith (Jago)
4th Place - IC|YouTuube88 (Glacius)
5th Place - EG|Justin Wong (Sabrewulf)
5th Place - GameGuys|Swoldier (Sadira)
7th Place - YourDisease (Thunder)
7th Place - GG|NYChrisG (Sabrewulf)

Grand Finals
EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) vs. IC|Mygod88 (Sabrewulf) – 3-0 Reset
EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) vs. IC|Mygod88 (Sabrewulf) – 3-0

Losers Finals
EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) vs. GOL|Zaith (Jago) – 3-1

Winners Finals
IC|Mygod88 (Sabrewulf) vs. GOL|Zaith (Jago) – 3-0

Losers Semi-finals
IC|YouTuube88 (Glacius) vs. EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) – 0-2

Top 8 Winners
GOL|Zaith (Jago) vs. EG|Justin Wong (Sabrewulf) – 2-1
IC|Mygod88 (Sabrewulf) vs. GameGuys|Swoldier (Sadira) – 2-1

Top 8 Losers
IC|YouTuube88 (Glacius) vs. YourDisease (Thunder) – 2-0
EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) vs. GG|NYChrisG (Sabrewulf) – 2-1

EG|Justin Wong (Sabrewulf) vs. IC|YouTuube88 (Glacius) – 0-2
EG|PR Balrog (Orchid) vs. GameGuys|Swoldier (Sadira) – 2-1
Bracket: http://txshowdown.challonge.com/txs14_KI
Source: Shoryuken

Last edited:
As a person who doesn't own the game, I thought this was a pretty hype top 8. Really good showing, wish MyGod could have taken it, but nonetheless great stuff to PR Rog.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
Good to see an Orchid take it.
Also good to see Mygod still playing games.
Hes always fun to watch.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Seriously, good for Balrog and good for Orchid. Now I don't have to hear the "If Orchid was good, then why hasn't she won a tournament yet" argument.

its no longer a 500 dollar Killer instinct machine, now its a 500 dollar titan fall machine!
And for KI a 700 dollar machine if you want it plus arcade stick

Congrats to all top 8 players, it was great to watch. There were some real hype matches

Injustice was like a 300$ game yo, had to buy a xbox 360 for it ^^
Don't forget the mandatory fitghtstick. And actually that's more of a legit argument the pad on 360 sucked. You see plenty of top players playing on pad for KI.

On topic, I love watching rogs orchid. It was pretty clear that having Jwongs wulf as a teamate paid off in mu experience for him int he grand finals.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
2 more days for fulgore and then I'm picking the game up, my xbox Juan has been collecting dust for 5 months.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
No. People bought xbone just for KI. No one bought a 360 just to play injustice. There's also 7 characters lol
Nobody bought an Xbox One JUST for KI either. That's fucking retarded. You show me one person two years from now who's had the console since release and still only has KI and a fightstick and you'll have actually made a point. Nobody buys a console for just one game; you buy a console for whatever game or games are currently out that you want AND all of the future games that are going to come out that you'll want. It's a fucking investment.