What's new

Educated story speculation

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
This isn't a thread for people who want to discuss gameplay and core mechanics. I know a bunch of you will be pissed off by it, but whatever. Consider yourself blessed or incredibly petty if you let something this small anger you.

This could be interesting since we could come back after release to see who got the closest to guessing the plot. Please don't throw out random shit, as it goes against the rules of my dumb little game.

Based on character interactions, new information, stage elements, interview commentary/slip ups; try to predict story elements and plot points. Provide an explanation as to why you believe what you are typing.

Here's mine. I'm no professional writer and this is my first and only draft:

The realms dangle by a thread above an endless void of black flame. With every slain soul, the fallen Elder God, Shinnok, comes closer to his goal; the void expanding more and more with each passing moment.

Paved with good intentions is the path to hell; the thunder god is the architect of ruin. The elder gods have long abandoned his blueprints, yet Raiden keeps pressing onward.

I have been restored by the elders to claim the title of Earthrealm protector, though instructed to remain anonymous. Instead of cleaning up this disaster head on, I was to choose a champion to act in my stead, as to ensure Shinnok knows not of my presence. Ironic I should choose the man who destroyed me sometime ago, though who better fit to carry out the tasks of a god than a man capable of killing one?

Bi-Han has suffered a much worse fate than I have. My absence seemed to be a blink of an eye. Sub-Zero's fall plummeted him to the deepest pits of the nether, transforming him in a dark metamorphosis into something grotesque; something no longer resembling human.

The restoration and purification of the revenant's soul invoked suspicion in the Dark Brotherhood, I'm sure. But Quan Chi and Shinnok are likely to believe the thunder god is responsible.

Raiden, though with pure intentions, has become just as delusional and warped as the fallen elder god himself. He displays the panic and insecurity of a mortal, even going as far as dabbling in the black arts of necromancy. Without the discipline or arcane artifacts, his attempt at resurrecting the former champion, Liu Kang, has resulted in failure. The fallen hero's legacy now a mockery, as his shambling corpse hangs like a puppet, awaiting it's masters order. The fall from godliness is a far one.

The necromantic bond is weak. I only hope that I can get to Liu Kang before he inevitably breaks free from Raiden on his own. He is destined to be a fire god, but if this walking cadaver escapes this trance, self realizing his own destiny,
Shinnok will have a powerful ally I fear neither I, nor my champion Bi Han, could best in Mortal Kombat.

The wind can not extinguish a fire so grand.

Now, hopefully you were able to assume this narrative was from the perspective of Fujin. The whole Bi-Han thing could be interchanged with any Sub-Zero I suppose.

The main thing that probed me to write this was the dialogue between Raiden and Sub-Zero. Obviously, Raiden is trying to defend his position of Earthrealm defender to SZ. Also, Fujin was the protector of Earthrealm during MK4.

Please note, you don't have to present your ideas in a narrative style if you don't want to. It could be as simple as "I think this because blah blah blah."

If you don't like the thread, then don't keep it floating by posting "another one of these (emoticon, meme)." Let it die and I hate you. I'm bored and I'm gonna keep brainstorming regardless because I'm at work and essentially getting paid to do so.

ramy_92

http://instagram.com/ramysoli
We're all expecting a Liu Kang return as a zombie but I have a feeling that he'll be revived and he'll be like Sindle but the one who's going to revive him he'll revive Kitana too, or at least bring her as a ghost to hunt Liu kang and fill him with rage and hate, Kitana will be back as a villain but she wont be real and will play a huge part in turning Liu Kang into an evil crazy person trying to kill Raiden and everyone else. I think Sonya or Johnny will die and it'll be framed or somehow looks like it was Raiden's fault, he'll find himself alone and everyone is against him.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Well, one thing is for sure. Both Kitana and Liu Kang will likely be undead if NRS is truly picking up the story after MK9. Whether it be specter, revenant, zombie, etc.

I hope they don't just get revived all fresh and new like "tah dah!" They have to look dark and unholy, or at least supernatural.

I truly believe that the forces of evil are gonna try to undermine Raiden at every turn, and convince the forces of light that he is a fraudulent, incompetent God not fit to protect Earth. Maybe the elder gods will even fall for the illusion and replace him with Fujin.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
My educated speculation:

-Mileena is the last surviving heir to Shao's throne, and will be ruler for some short period of time.
-Kotal Kahn has been confirmed to be the new ruler of Outworld, meaning 1 of 3 things:
1. He kills Mileena and probably some other top grunts like Kintaro/Goro/Sheeva/Baraka/Reptile(I doubt reptile).
2. He makes Mileena his bride somehow. This is the one I think would be the most interesting.
3. Something happens to Mileena(death by other means/steps down/flees the thrown) and he just emerges from the fight for the throne as the new Kahn.
-If Mileena isn't killed she'll more than likely want to take Kotal off of the top spot and reclaim it, leading to her joining the forces of good temporarily.
-Liu Kang died but he has a 90% chance of returning, in 1 of 3 ways:
1. Zombie, which is in my opinion the best choice. Brought back by Shinnok, Quan Chi, some new guy, Shang Tsung(I want to believe he isn't dead), or possibly even Raiden, who could be slipping into the dark side again.
2. Quan Chi resurrects him with cool new powers like he did with Scorpion and Noob.
3. He wasn't really dead after all and has been plotting against Raiden.
-D'Vorah has been confirmed to be working for Kotal, I assume that she's be like his Reptile, in that she is loyal but only for her own interests and the interests of her beloved people(in her case, insects).
-Kano will be there to antagonize Cassie, and he'll probably die in this game. I have a feeling he'll kill either Johnny or Sonya, so Cassie actually has a reason to want kill him. "My mom fought him a few times years ago" is not a good reason and wouldn't be good enough.
-The mention of Johnny and Sonya not being de-confirmed because of Cassie, and the mention of them considering ways to deal with close family members doing fatalities on each other pretty much confirms one of the two. I'm betting it'll be Johnny.
-Raiden really seems to hate Kotal, going off of their revealed pre-match dialogue.
-I'm 99.9% sure Boon said Kotal isn't the big bad and that the big bad will be a "surprise". I think it'll be one of these:
Liu Kang - He was accidentally killed by Raiden and died hating his guts, so he'll no doubt want revenge if he comes back(he will).
Shang Tsung - A notoriously slippery snake and an incredibly powerful sorcerer, his "death" was very open to manipulation. He could have been plotting and waiting for someone to overthrow Shao so he could either be freed or become ruler of Outworl, or some other plot.
Shinnok - Assuming Boon didn't acknowledge his brief appearance at the end of MK9.
Quan Chi - Assuming Boon doesn't think we'll assume he has some kind of anterior motive or plans.
-We should expect a varied and small group of MK4 and beyond heroes returning. Raiden needs some help seeing as how most of his people were slaughtered in MK9. Kai is obviously the top candidate compared to the rest. Others would probably include Bo Rai Cho, Li Mei, Ashrah, and Kenshi. Ermac is also a clear option. Havik and Hotaru could easily be thrown in depending on how far Kotal's rule of Outworlds swings to either order or chaos.
-Ferra/Torr is either one of Kotal's top grunts or they're in a resistance against him.
-Since Kano's back we can assume the Black Dragon's will have some appearances maybe, probably one of the formerly playable.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
My educated speculation:

-Mileena is the last surviving heir to Shao's throne, and will be ruler for some short period of time.
-Kotal Kahn has been confirmed to be the new ruler of Outworld, meaning 1 of 3 things:
1. He kills Mileena and probably some other top grunts like Kintaro/Goro/Sheeva/Baraka/Reptile(I doubt reptile).
2. He makes Mileena his bride somehow. This is the one I think would be the most interesting.
3. Something happens to Mileena(death by other means/steps down/flees the thrown) and he just emerges from the fight for the throne as the new Kahn.
-If Mileena isn't killed she'll more than likely want to take Kotal off of the top spot and reclaim it, leading to her joining the forces of good temporarily.
-Liu Kang died but he has a 90% chance of returning, in 1 of 3 ways:
1. Zombie, which is in my opinion the best choice. Brought back by Shinnok, Quan Chi, some new guy, Shang Tsung(I want to believe he isn't dead), or possibly even Raiden, who could be slipping into the dark side again.
2. Quan Chi resurrects him with cool new powers like he did with Scorpion and Noob.
3. He wasn't really dead after all and has been plotting against Raiden.
-D'Vorah has been confirmed to be working for Kotal, I assume that she's be like his Reptile, in that she is loyal but only for her own interests and the interests of her beloved people(in her case, insects).
-Kano will be there to antagonize Cassie, and he'll probably die in this game. I have a feeling he'll kill either Johnny or Sonya, so Cassie actually has a reason to want kill him. "My mom fought him a few times years ago" is not a good reason and wouldn't be good enough.
-The mention of Johnny and Sonya not being de-confirmed because of Cassie, and the mention of them considering ways to deal with close family members doing fatalities on each other pretty much confirms one of the two. I'm betting it'll be Johnny.
-Raiden really seems to hate Kotal, going off of their revealed pre-match dialogue.
-I'm 99.9% sure Boon said Kotal isn't the big bad and that the big bad will be a "surprise". I think it'll be one of these:
Liu Kang - He was accidentally killed by Raiden and died hating his guts, so he'll no doubt want revenge if he comes back(he will).
Shang Tsung - A notoriously slippery snake and an incredibly powerful sorcerer, his "death" was very open to manipulation. He could have been plotting and waiting for someone to overthrow Shao so he could either be freed or become ruler of Outworl, or some other plot.
Shinnok - Assuming Boon didn't acknowledge his brief appearance at the end of MK9.
Quan Chi - Assuming Boon doesn't think we'll assume he has some kind of anterior motive or plans.
-We should expect a varied and small group of MK4 and beyond heroes returning. Raiden needs some help seeing as how most of his people were slaughtered in MK9. Kai is obviously the top candidate compared to the rest. Others would probably include Bo Rai Cho, Li Mei, Ashrah, and Kenshi. Ermac is also a clear option. Havik and Hotaru could easily be thrown in depending on how far Kotal's rule of Outworlds swings to either order or chaos.
-Ferra/Torr is either one of Kotal's top grunts or they're in a resistance against him.
-Since Kano's back we can assume the Black Dragon's will have some appearances maybe, probably one of the formerly playable.
If Mileena is in, I could see that happening. Some same team rivalry between her and D'vorrah would be cool.

Still think Raiden is gonna be the one to revive Liu. He probably feels a hue weight and guilt about killing him, so intensely that he'd be willing to dabble in dark arts to bring him back. We saw the compromises Raiden was willing to make to save Earthrealm.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I agree, I also listed that has a high possibility.

It of course would come with some serious consequences.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I also think Quan Chi's golden age is gonna end. I'm sick of him being the one manipulating everything anyway.

Because Shinnok was a God, like Raiden, I bet you he could see the past events of the other timeline too. He's provably gonna see Quan Chi's deception from a mile away and destroy him or imprison him in the Netherrealm with the power of the same amulet that once kept him confined there. You wait and see.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
1- In the end of MK9, a lot of fighters become "zombies" under Quan Chi command. So, some of them could possible be resurrected by him, but, this time, in MKX, one or two of them, if in the game, can be at the "bad side" this time, and so, working for Quan Chi, and having a villain personality
2- since the history will cover 25 years after the events of MK9, the MKX story will be shown in parts : some stuff occurring in the first 5 years after MK9, next, 10 years, etc and so ... this give a lot of chance for a bunch of things take place ..... we will see the rise and fall of Kotal Kahn, that's for sure .....
3- I don't know ..... there is a chance that Liu Kang will have some part in this game ..... Raiden took Liu's body in MK9 and I think Liu will be resurrected somehow ..... Ed Boon must have been doing some mystery and will not reveal this detail for a while .....
4- Boon did not disconfirm Millena until now, so far, she must be in ..... and probably, it's possible to have some grudge with Kotal Kahan and or D'Vorah .....
5- Quan Chi and Shinnok it's 99.9% chance to be in this game ..... in fact, Shinnok probably will be the "returning" surprise character that Boon are promoting as main bad guy in this game ..... we just need the confirmation in a official way, that soon or later, will happen .... rsrs

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Except Cassie is in some sort of law enforcement that's at least a few steps above Stryker's paygrade and Kano, even with all the bullshit, remains a dangerous criminal. He doesn't need to kill either (he'll probably do it though) for her to need to take him down.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Quan Chi was pretty much the mastermind behind everything that happens in the first timeline, I wonder if it will remain that way.

ramy_92

I just can't get over the last scene when Raiden took Sonya, Cage and Liu Kang's body with him :p I wonder if Raiden will bring Liu back

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Pretty sure Liu Kang is dead. He received a brain damage amount of lightning haha. If he lived, maybe we will see 3rd degree burn scar Liu Kang, or wheelchair Liu Kang.

But really, I think NRS wanted a chance to do undead LK the right way. More of a sentient revenant and less of a mindless zombie.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That isn't the right way, IMO.

Previously Liu Kang was literally split.

He was his good and normal self in spirit form, still bound to this plain of existence for a reason I forget, and he was also his shambling remains magically resurrected and only capable of fighting, killing, and following orders.

I'd rather him gain control of his body(as in giving it commands, like a puppet master), while also searching for a way to rejoin and reinvigorate himself. Basically(after whoever has control of zombie Liu Kang loses that control) he'd be his spirit commanding his body to do things, and he'd also have ghost powers.

I like that dynamic, it's different, and it's an awesome way to do something not "cliche" with a series protagonist.

Making him turn outright evil, body and mind, is so damn overdone, with characters like Kazuya, or Jin, or Evil Ryu, etc. and thats just in fighting games.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Yeah, that's why I said sentient, meaning to have consciousness and be capable of abstract thought. I want Liu Kang to be pissed off. He has a darkness and you can tell even when he was alive. I want him to embrace it. Then he could be a peaceful, Buddha whatever, boring monk at the end.

Think of it as a Sith to Jedi transition.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Although Quan-Chi is my favorite MK character, I agree with you guys saying that he had enough impact on the first timeline and needs to take a backseat a little bit in MKX. Instead he could be on the run with someone like Scorpion chasing after him through the realms, and they stumble upon a few other characters and feuds along the way. It has to be a sub-plot though, not something that directly affects the main story.

Raiden had such a big role in MK9 that I have a feeling he won't be such a central character in MKX. Either he'll be killed off very quickly or at least they'll find some way to sideline him for large parts of the story. Maybe Shinnok will imprison him in the nether realm or something.

If the story revolves around the nether realm it's quite possible that Noob is the surprise new boss. My feeling is that Shao Kahn or his legacy won't come up. So if characters like Mileena, Baraka, Goro, Kintaro, etc do show up they'll have other motives than simply seizing his throne. They might just ditch that whole game of thrones thing for Shao Kahn's throne.

Where my theories fall apart is that I have no clue whatsoever about how the new characters would fit in, not even the ones that have already been revealed.

ramy_92

Am I the only one who thinks there's a HUGE lack of "good" characters, the evil ones are just taking over till now, only Cassie and Raiden are announced, the rest are dead and we're all expecting if Liu Kang or Kitana made it, they'll be back as vengeful characters. Idk but I really think that the new characters are going to be the new "gang" for Raiden

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Subzero(s) is good, or at least not evil.

We don't know where Ferra/Torr stands, but they seem to dislike D'Vorrah, who is confirmed to be working with Kotal, who is evil.

ramy_92

Subzero(s) is good, or at least not evil.

We don't know where Ferra/Torr stands, but they seem to dislike D'Vorrah, who is confirmed to be working with Kotal, who is evil.
Mmmm but still in the intro between him and Raiden they're against each other, and ferra/torr looks evil :p they're the definition of evil :p

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
@callMEcrazy

I don't necessarily want Quan Chi to take a backseat. I believe he will, and should, have a huge role in the story, but --- he should be the one getting fucked over this time instead of being the one fucking over everyone else. It is time for the rightful fallen elder god to claim the realms for himself... you know, until the dragon king gets resurrected in the last chapter and Mokap punches him in the ear and has a five-some with Mileena, Kitana, Jade's corpse, Tanya and Cyber Sub-Zero's chest cavity.

@ramy_92

I don't think the Raiden/Sub-Zero interaction has anything to do with alignment. I believe it's more so about ego, arrogance, or Raiden's identity crisis over the whole being terrible at minimizing collateral damage. Unless this SZ is full blown Cryomancer, I'm getting a champion of the elder gods vibe from him. NRS switched up Smoke and Kuai Liang's story already so I wouldn't doubt that, as an apology to the fans for turning him into a cyborg, they are gonna do something awesome with him like have Sub-Zero become the hand of the gods in the alternate MKD era instead of Scorpion.

Last edited:

ramy_92

@PaletteSwap

but still :D I just feel there's a huge lack of good characters even with sub zero :D I can't guess who's going to make it anymore, unless the first 15 years are all about the evil winning and Raiden is feeling screwed until descendants of other characters appear, like Cassie and the Shaolin in the 6 boots photo :D. and I def. got sick of Quan Chi -_- I feel he's being forced too much I mean MK9 was all about MK 1,2,3 with an exception of quan chi -.-' same in MKvsDC he appeared in the story mode because they just like him -.-' I honestly want him dead asap :p