What's new

Ebola virus: How does TYM feel about it?

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Well 2 nurses in Dallas have it now and one was on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas. Supposedly the stronger the symptoms the more contagious the virus is. It's supposed to be most potent after death and not contagious at all with no symptoms showing. I'm just a little suspicious as to how contagious some are saying it is. If it takes swapping of fluids then why did these 2 nurses get the virus? Couldn't coughing particles into the air into someone's mouth/eyes or whatever be classified as swapping fluids? If the smallest mistake can lead to catching the virus I think it's a little more contagious than what people are saying but I'm no doctor. These are just questions I have.

What I think is stupid is that they're letting people fly out of these area's. Apparently there's up to a 21 day period where the host may not experience any symptoms at all (Is this true?). If that's the case what is taking somebody's temperature and asking them questions going to do to stop the virus from spreading? If they get here and go about their daily life for a week or 2 before getting symptoms couldn't that be a real hazard?

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
@Scoot Magee Yeah I think coughing and sneezing will spread that shit easily. You cough or sneeze in your hand and then if you don't wash afterwards, your fluids will be on everything you've touched throughout the day. Could easily spread like wildfire, IMO

And I agree it's pretty dumb they let this woman on an airplane until knowing for sure she was in the clear.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Well 2 nurses in Dallas have it now and one was on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas. Supposedly the stronger the symptoms the more contagious the virus is. It's supposed to be most potent after death and not contagious at all with no symptoms showing. I'm just a little suspicious as to how contagious some are saying it is. If it takes swapping of fluids then why did these 2 nurses get the virus? Couldn't coughing particles into the air into someone's mouth/eyes or whatever be classified as swapping fluids? If the smallest mistake can lead to catching the virus I think it's a little more contagious than what people are saying but I'm no doctor. These are just questions I have.

What I think is stupid is that they're letting people fly out of these area's. Apparently there's up to a 21 day period where the host may not experience any symptoms at all (Is this true?). If that's the case what is taking somebody's temperature and asking them questions going to do to stop the virus from spreading? If they get here and go about their daily life for a week or 2 before getting symptoms couldn't that be a real hazard?
The virus itself is transmitted through ANY bodily fluid. Whether it's semen, blood, saliva, mucus, tears, etc. And it doesn't take a large amount to even carry the virus...just a droplet will do. The virus ALSO survives for several days outside of the body. What this means is that the virus is, in reality, much harder to contain than many people actually realize. It actually is just as contagious as the flu.

It's really serious. It's literally something that causes your insides to rupture, and you bleed enough to drop your blood pressure to the point where your heart can't keep up...it's agonizingly painful and you can't take shit to ease the pain because the virus also destroys your liver and kidneys. What's even scarier is that you may not know you have Ebola until the major symptoms show, because it starts out like the flu, you are contagious without any symptoms, and it sometimes doesn't show up for 3 weeks. It's a fucked up virus. People are saying it won't spread...no, don't be fucking naive on this shit. There is a reason that this basically requires space suits for those treating patients.

Even though this is the early stages, I am seriously freaking out because a patient has ended up in my area not knowing she had the virus. That's a recipe for disaster.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
So apparently Ebola only spreads when people are showing symptoms. A patient must have symptoms to spread the disease to others. After 21 days, if an exposed person does not develop symptoms, they will not become sick with Ebola.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I live in dallas and I'm not too worried about it. Ugh I got a friend who thinks the government will send us to fema camps to die. Anyway I think it might go away soon in few weeks. Anyone remember swine flu?
One of my friends orchestra teachers actually died from swine flu. I get your point, but this just made me remember.

I have to admit it is pretty scary that Presbyterian didnt use proper protocols and then blamed the nurse when she got infected. Hopefully that gets sorted out quickly.

Flagg

Noob
I am genuinely interested, but do you think Ebola will expose massive holes in the US-for profit, Healthcare System?

If someone with Ebola is uninsured, will they simply not be treated properly and be sent back into the population?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I´m terrified to actually read this thread, because I don´t want to know how dumb some people I like might be, so I´ll just comment on the "it could become airborne (because I saw Outbreak in the 90s)

It´s ridiculous to think that a disease that has a long history of existance would suddenly mutate into an airborne disease simply because it´s in America now.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I´m terrified to actually read this thread, because I don´t want to know how dumb some people I like might be, so I´ll just comment on the "it could become airborne (because I saw Outbreak in the 90s)

It´s ridiculous to think that a disease that has a long history of existance would suddenly mutate into an airborne disease simply because it´s in America now.
Nevermind the number of deaths attributed to alcohol, tobacco, and generally poor personal healthcare. A mutating airborne death virus sells better.

Flagg

Noob

Paranoia is a powerful thing. Also someone with a cold, who has Ebola, in an enclosed space as you, such as an office or classroom, could spread it to others. Every time you sneeze, you are projecting that fluid out into the general area.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Ebola then spreads through human-to-human transmission via direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and with surfaces and materials (e.g. bedding, clothing) contaminated with these fluids.

I was beginning to wonder if it was hysteria but I think this could be more serious, especially if the virus gets into a densely populated area like a city.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
@Scoot Magee Yeah I think coughing and sneezing will spread that shit easily. You cough or sneeze in your hand and then if you don't wash afterwards, your fluids will be on everything you've touched throughout the day. Could easily spread like wildfire, IMO

And I agree it's pretty dumb they let this woman on an airplane until knowing for sure she was in the clear.
@Scoot Magee why not just..you know, research the virus? This shouldn't really be left up to "opinion". It's scientific fact.

Scoot Magee

@Scoot Magee why not just..you know, research the virus? This shouldn't really be left up to "opinion". It's scientific fact.
Ok, well i have actually researched since yesterday. I don't think I was very far off in my original post.

This is directly from the CDC site.

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

I know it's been mentioned by the CDC that the more severe the symptoms the more contagious the virus is. I'm sure once symptoms become very severe the person will most likely have found medical attention but I wouldn't rule out that they may have infected someone else along the way.

The 2 nurses who contracted the virus were not fully protected. Most likely they touched something that had bodily fluids of some sort on it and then touched there face. The virus can be left on a surface (can live up to 6 hours) from somebody that's infected and another person can unknowingly touch that surface and then touch their face. This is confirmed by the CDC director. His words - CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said that while it's theoretically possible for someone to catch Ebola by touching a surface that an infected patient sneezed on, for example, past outbreaks have shown that direct contact with a patient's bodily fluids is the way the virus is spread.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

It's not dumb to be generally concerned with a serious disease. The whole mutated into an airborne virus thing is over the top but there's no reason not to take this seriously. Things are really bad in Africa right now and if it's not contained it will get worse and we can potentially see more cases in other countries but nothing crazy like an outbreak.

I'm not claiming that there's going to be some mass ebola outbreak in the US but I think some of the mistakes the CDC are making (like letting that nurse fly) are just totally irresponsible. It's totally possible for an infected person on a plain to transmit the disease to others.

We can control disease better than any country. I want to be clear that I'm not hysterical and think that we cant control this. I'm just mad at how irresponsible the CDC has been and not to mention the Dallas hospital sending Duncan home.

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
Ok, well i have actually researched since yesterday. I don't think I was very far off in my original post.

This is directly from the CDC site.

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

I know it's been mentioned by the CDC that the more severe the symptoms the more contagious the virus is. I'm sure once symptoms become very severe the person will most likely have found medical attention but I wouldn't rule out that they may have infected someone else along the way.

The 2 nurses who contracted the virus were not fully protected. Most likely they touched something that had bodily fluids of some sort on it and then touched there face. The virus can be left on a surface (can live up to 6 hours) from somebody that's infected and another person can unknowingly touch that surface and then touch their face. This is confirmed by the CDC director. His words - CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said that while it's theoretically possible for someone to catch Ebola by touching a surface that an infected patient sneezed on, for example, past outbreaks have shown that direct contact with a patient's bodily fluids is the way the virus is spread.
I just want to point out that the two nurses who contracted it were working directly with a patient who had full blown ebola at its most contagious point. The patient was probably bleeding out of multiple orifices and shitting and vomiting everywhere. The nurses probably had his bodily fluid all over the suits they were wearing and at some point in process of removing the suit made contact with the fluid. That fluid would've been way more contagious than the saliva or snot or whatever of someone who's just started showing symptoms and coughs a bit in public before making it to a hospital and being isolated.

So while theoretically maybe someone can cough on a plane and wipe their hands on a seat and then someone else sits in that seat and gets Ebola, just keep in mind that that's very different from how it's spread so far. The nurse on the plane may not have been contagious at all and so far the people who have caught it have been healthcare workers working directly with a patient who was at the peak of contagiousness. Very different situations and so far there's no evidence that the virus can spread casually in the U.S. It's still terrifying that it made it here, but there's currently no reason to believe it will get out of control.

No one's ever caught Ebola by being near someone who had a slight fever and coughed and it's extremely unlikely anyone ever will

Scoot Magee

I just want to point out that the two nurses who contracted it were working directly with a patient who had full blown ebola at its most contagious point. The patient was probably bleeding out of multiple orifices and shitting and vomiting everywhere. The nurses probably had his bodily fluid all over the suits they were wearing and at some point in process of removing the suit made contact with the fluid. That fluid would've been way more contagious than the saliva or snot or whatever of someone who's just started showing symptoms and coughs a bit in public before making it to a hospital and being isolated.

So while theoretically maybe someone can cough on a plane and wipe their hands on a seat and then someone else sits in that seat and gets Ebola, just keep in mind that that's very different from how it's spread so far. The nurse on the plane may not have been contagious at all and so far the people who have caught it have been healthcare workers working directly with a patient who was at the peak of contagiousness. Very different situations and so far there's no evidence that the virus can spread casually in the U.S. It's still terrifying that it made it here, but there's currently no reason to believe it will get out of control.

No one's ever caught Ebola by being near someone who had a slight fever and coughed and it's extremely unlikely anyone ever will
Yeah I agree, I stated before that its most contagious when symptoms are most severe. My main issue is with the CDC being totally irresponsible by letting one of the nurses with a fever fly with other people. Why take that risk?

I also should have added what you said about the nurses being covered in blood and etc. It almost sounds misleading on my part but I went off the assumptions that people knew what the severe symptoms were. I'm not trying to make people think they're going to get ebola.

Also knowing that Duncan's wife/GF didn't get the virus should put people who are worried at ease.

Last edited:

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yeah I agree, I stated before that its most contagious when symptoms are most severe. My main issue is with the CDC being totally irresponsible by letting one of the nurses with a fever fly with other people. Why take that risk?

I also should have added what you said about the nurses being covered in blood and etc. It almost sounds misleading on my part but I went off the assumptions that people knew what the severe symptoms were. I'm not trying to make people think they're going to get ebola.
Totally agree. Both the nurse getting on that plane and Duncan being sent home the first time he went to the hospital are clear mistakes that absolutely shouldn't have happened. But those mistakes did happen, they're being dealt with as thoroughly and carefully as possible, and we can look at them objectively and calmly and see that there's very little chance of them sparking an outbreak and that our system should still have things under control

I just felt the need to clarify since earlier you were asking how the nurses caught it if it was so hard to spread and brought up coughing and not everyone else in this thread seems clear on how it transfers either.

Scoot Magee

Totally agree. Both the nurse getting on that plane and Duncan being sent home the first time he went to the hospital are clear mistakes that absolutely shouldn't have happened. But those mistakes did happen, they're being dealt with as thoroughly and carefully as possible, and we can look at them objectively and calmly and see that there's very little chance of them sparking an outbreak and that our system should still have things under control

I just felt the need to clarify since earlier you were asking how the nurses caught it if it was so hard to spread and brought up coughing and not everyone else in this thread seems clear on how it transfers either.
You're right for brining that up. What I posted was misleading.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
CDC needs to stop contradicting themselves and Obama needs to man up and stop flights to and from Libia. Other countries are doing it because it's like common sense at this point...hell even Africa is doing it other parts banning flights/travel to and from that part...

I personally don't care if it's easy or not to catch, obviously it's a deadly disease that needs proper prevention. To me those who are like "it's not that easy to catch have to share bodily fluid etc" that's like saying well "you'll only catch AIDS by using dirty needles already used on someone who has AIDs, but majority of used needles aren't used on AIDS patients so no worries, chances are low but NOT impossible..."

Now it's where I live, lovely...

Man do I miss the times when we had leaders that thought about the country he's supposed to eb leading first instead of trying to be "liked by the whole word and afraid of being accused of discrimination" what about preservation? SMH...

Weren't we all fearful of Westnile, bird flu, swine flu, SARS, just to name a few within the last decade? This is nothing more than a pointless media scare...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
That's true ^ but honestly none of those are on par with Ebola, Ebola is worse then arguably any of those illnesses and has existed long before if I'm not mistaken.