What's new

Dragon Age Inquisition Discussion *DLC Released!*

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

I've been spending most of my free time playing Dragon Age Inquisition on the XBONE. Dragon Age Origins was one of my most favorite RPG's, but I didn't care much for Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age Inquisition is the best one yet, in my opinion at least. This is coming from someone who put Origins in the top 10 games of all time, so when I say Inquisition is better, that's saying something.

You begin like most RPG's. You pick your Sex, Race, Class, and Difficulty. The only thing that can change of those after you start is the difficulty, which is nice. Just in case you made it too hard or easy, you have the option to change it. You can be a Human, Elf, Dwarf, or Qunari. For the classes, there's Rogue Dual Wield, Rogue Archer, Shield and Sword Warrior, Two Handed Warrior, and Mage. The dwarves cannot be mages, that's the only restriction.

Then you go on to character customization, where you edit the appearance of your character. And again, like most RPG's, the "hair" options are terrible. I don't know what it is about RPG's and hair choices, but in my experience, they're always terrible. Not to mention, you have the exact same options for both male and females. The actual face customization is nice though, you can get pretty in detail. You can only alter the head though, so no fat, skinny, tall, short options.

Anyway, on to the actual game. I don't want to summarize the plot or story, so don't worry about spoilers.

The story is really well done. The fact that character development, for the most part, isn't necessarily required is awesome. If you don't care for a certain character, you really don't ever have to talk to them or advance their story line. It's waste if you don't, but the fact that the option is there is awesome. There's tons and tons of cut scenes, which I like personally, but some don't. The dialog is like Mass Effect, you usually have around 3 or more options to respond with each time, and what you say affects the story in some way, either big or small. When you're out roaming around, the characters in your party will occasional banter with one another, which is only pretty cool.

The world is massive, bigger than Skyrim, bigger than a lot of RPG's actually. Each new area you unlock is just as big if not bigger than the previous one. There's so much to do that's not the main quest, even some very trivial things like finding a wild druffalo and bringing back to it's home. Each area has it's own unique theme, unlike say Destiny, the world definitely isn't repetitive.

The gameplay is more like Origins than DA2, but it's like a mixture of both. You can pause the action and go into tactical mode, where you can switch between characters while time is frozen, and strategize. You can tell them to attack, defend, tell them where to go, to heal, cast a barrier, etc. On normal mode, however, strategizing isn't that important, but it's useful and will help you in the long run.

That leads me to the difficulty. I played as a Mage on Normal mode. At first it was a little difficult getting used to everything, and everything was a higher level than I was. After playing for awhile though, you get the hang of it. I was only using my character and not utilizing the other 3 characters in your party at first, then realized that was a mistake, the game got a lot easier after that. I also was overleveled for most of the game. There were a few areas I didn't unlock at the right time, so when I did, I was a much higher level than the enemies. I'm not sure if a Mage is the best class, but it seemed really really good to me.

The boss fights were epic, but there's not that many of them. There is like 7 Dragons (around 7) that you can find throughout the world, all in which are very hard to kill. These dragons don't need to be killed, but it's fun and you get good loot from them when you do. The final boss fight was awesome too, but easier than I thought it was going to be. I'm playing through a new character, a Rogue Archer, on Hard and I can already tell the experience is going to be better because it will be more challenging. So if you're good at games or RPG's, I'd suggest trying it on hard after you get the basics down, you'll enjoy it more and come away more satisfied when you beat tough enemies.

I didn't do nearly all you could do in my first playthrough, and after you beat the game you can still do stuff. I finished around about 100 hours, but about 5 or more of that was just me sitting idle while doing something else, lol. The fact that I'm still playing the game proves it's fun and a good quality game, considering I usually drop a game after a few days.

I recommend this to everyone, 9/10 for me. Also, it won Game of The Year last week. So if you don't want to take my word of it... GoTY!!

Attachments

E

Eldriken

Mages are the best class if you're playing as Vivienne. Spec into Knight Enchanter and you're all but immortal. It kinda sucks the fun out of the game, but if you like to cheese the game, that's what you should aim for.

Wolfenstein is probably my pick for GotY, though it came out early in the year so I don't reckon you'll see on many GotY lists.

I probably think more highly of it than I should just given the sore lack of good single player campaigns for linear shooters.

It's got me real excited for Doom 4.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
My only gripe is the lack of diversity in the 10 dragons. Each is an exact copy of the previous one but a different element and higher level. They all had the exact same movest and adds. (Adds make the fight easier for a tank because more enimies equals higher defense/attack and more armor)

Also I played as a Qunari Champion and I was unkillable. Between Fortress/Shout/Raging Bull/Harden I could easily tank well outside my level and sustain no damage in nightmare mode. With the 5 regen potions I could kill a dragon by myself (as I normally did).

That being said I put over 90 hours into the story mode and loved every second of it and I just started the multiplayer with @The_REAL_xVAPORx

Also a bunch of trophies are bugged. I didnt get the trophey for killing the dragons or a few other minor ones. I really dont care about my EPen but still....

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

My only gripe is the lack of diversity in the 10 dragons. Each is an exact copy of the previous one but a different element and higher level. They all had the exact same movest and adds. (Adds make the fight easier for a tank because more enimies equals higher defense/attack and more armor)

Also I played as a Qunari Champion and I was unkillable. Between Fortress/Shout/Raging Bull/Harden I could easily tank well outside my level and sustain no damage in nightmare mode. With the 5 regen potions I could kill a dragon by myself (as I normally did).

That being said I put over 90 hours into the story mode and loved every second of it and I just started the multiplayer with @The_REAL_xVAPORx

Also a bunch of trophies are bugged. I didnt get the trophey for killing the dragons or a few other minor ones. I really dont care about my EPen but still....
Start a new character and kill your first dragon in that game and your trophy should pop. Like you said, they're bugged, but that's one known way to get that one to pop.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I haven't got round to buying Inquisition yet but really want to. Just toying with the idea of whether I want to invest in a new PC or not (I have the previous DA games on PC) and that will decide what format I will buy the game on

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah like I said, the only bad thing aside from the glitches is that the difficulty is rather easy. I liked the fact that you only got 8 potions in the beginning, but the fact that you can upgrade them to be better, can get 4 more via Inquisition perk, AND you can get 5 regen potions for EACH character, that really makes the game a lot easier.

I think the harder difficulties should limit potions or something else to make it harder. Not really sure what they can do outside of making enemies deal/take more damage though, which is how it is currently.

That said, it being easy doesn't take away from it too much. I'm playing on hard on a new character and it's actually harder than I thought compared to normal. We'll see though.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I cant wait to play this game, I am playing through DA:O right now and picked it up when it was on Origin for free. When you guys talk about it being to easy and your immortal what difficulty are you guys playing on?

E

Eldriken

I cant wait to play this game, I am playing through DA:O right now and picked it up when it was on Origin for free. When you guys talk about it being to easy and your immortal what difficulty are you guys playing on?
You can play on Nightmare (the hardest difficulty) and still be considered immortal if you pick a certain spec for a character you get later on in the game. It's purely optional, mind you. But it renders the difficulty useless when you simply cannot die unless you're dumb.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
You can play on Nightmare (the hardest difficulty) and still be considered immortal if you pick a certain spec for a character you get later on in the game. It's purely optional, mind you. But it renders the difficulty useless when you simply cannot die unless you're dumb.
Ok cool, so its build specific then. I don't really mind it that much but its not for me. As long as you can play other builds on nightmare with a challenge I am cool with that. Working my way through nightmare on DA:O right now and it is a blast.

Thanks for the reply

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I feel the standard for what is a great game/game of the year type quality game has drastically regressed

Playing it now, and there are hella issues

Very Poor game design, buggy as a mess, poor story telling, just a lot of issues.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun and all but it's not the second coming of a classic

E

Eldriken

I feel the standard for what is a great game/game of the year type quality game has drastically regressed

Very Poor game design, buggy as a mess, poor story telling, just a lot of issues.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun and all but it's not the second coming of a classic
Agreed. It's also boring as FUCK starting off. It's not until (depending on how long you take) 8-9 hours into the game that it gets even remotely fun. Combat is essentially just holding RT to auto-attack while waiting for abilities to come off of cooldown, using said abilities and then waiting again.

I also don't like how you can't immediately tell whether an area is out of your league or not. You can go from a level 1-3 area to a level 12 zone and not even know it until you come across an enemy, click your right thumbstick and see the enemy's level is 12. I feel this serves as a purpose to prolong the game by telling you you're going to have to backtrack at a later time.

It's also UGLY as hell. Things are way too shiny, facial stubble looks like graphic glitches galore, etc.

It's fun, but it's not without its flaws.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You guys are crazy. Sure, there's bugs and glitches, but it doesn't affect the game too much. The animations aren't the best but that's to be expected with Dragon Age. You have to be trying really hard to not enjoy this game.

E

Eldriken

You guys are crazy. Sure, there's bugs and glitches, but it doesn't affect the game too much. The animations aren't the best but that's to be expected with Dragon Age. You have to be trying really hard to not enjoy this game.
It might not be for everyone. Opinions and all that, y'know.

It's not a terrible game. It's slow to start and the combat is rather lacking to me. I'm not looking for an ARPG or hack-n-slash game, but the combat is just too linear.

ando1184

Noob
I think origins was a much better game overall, however this game did just come out and I'm sure bioware has patches and DLC in the works. So I guess we will just see how this pans out.

Pig Of The Hut

No we just have difference of opinions, glad you think it's the best game but also realize some do not.

The quality of games has regressed

coolwhip

Noob

In general it's been a sub-standard year for games. Last year by comparison, was good. I don't think too many people would have had an issue with The Last of Us being GOTY or GTA V.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Combat is essentially just holding RT to auto-attack while waiting for abilities to come off of cooldown, using said abilities and then waiting again.
This ^^

When I first played DAO, this was a huge turnoff for me. My first battle once I was able to go wherever I wanted ended up this exact thing. I was running around the area in circles trying not to die while my abilities came back so I could use them and repeat.

Pig Of The Hut

In general it's been a sub-standard year for games. Last year by comparison, was good. I don't think too many people would have had an issue with The Last of Us being GOTY or GTA V.
I agree, this years champion is by default

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
No we just have difference of opinions, glad you think it's the best game but also realize some do not.

The quality of games has regressed
The general quality of games have been poor for awhile now, I 100% agree. Which is why when there actually is a quality game, a game that you can tell a lot of time and effort went into it, I celebrate those games. I understand not everyone is going to like the game or any game, but when you don't like a game I like, you're crazy to me. :p

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This ^^

When I first played DAO, this was a huge turnoff for me. My first battle once I was able to go wherever I wanted ended up this exact thing. I was running around the area in circles trying not to die while my abilities came back so I could use them and repeat.
If you just play as your character, maybe. But the point is to play as all characters in your party, and to strategize. Also, this is in the early stages of the game, the combat gets better as the game progresses.

E

Eldriken

If you just play as your character, maybe. But the point is to play as all characters in your party, and to strategize. Also, this is in the early stages of the game, the combat gets better as the game progresses.
It does get better, but it's still essentially the same thing. You just have more abilities to use before you're back to holding RT again.

I'm almost to the point to where I'm like, "FUCK IT!" and going to use Vivenne's broken Knight Enchanter spec and just solo every last bit of the game with her. Sure, it's dull and braindead, but whatever, I feel the overall combat is dull as it is.