What's new

Do you like the 'throw' mechanic in MK9?

Do you like the throw system in MK9?

• Total voters

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Instead of forward throw or reverse throw, it would be cool if it was close throw and far throw. Jus saiyan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironheart

LBSH pick, I dont have a problem with throws. Its when people seem to think that throws are the only move a character has that it gets annoying. And besides,if we didn't have throws, Kabal Skarlet and Raiden wouldn't have god mode glitches right now and we can't have that.;) DragonPick.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
LBSH pick, I dont have a problem with throws. Its when people seem to think that throws are the only move a character has that it gets annoying. And besides,if we didn't have throws, Kabal Skarlet and Raiden wouldn't have god mode glitches right now and we can't have that.;) DragonPick.
Just mad because you can't fight grapplers

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
I would like if teching throws would actually be throw and not 1,2,3,4. The actual throw button like SF

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The throws are pretty much pointless when you can auto-crouch-tech most of the time. I didn't say they were completely pointless, just not as useful as they should be. The threat of a throw is more dangerous than the throw itself. Unless you're speaking online play, which throws are gdlk online, lol. The point is throws in SF4 aren't really about what they're supposed to be about because it's so easy to tech. Where as in MK9 it's really hard to tech a throw because there's different buttons for the forward and backwards throw tech and no indication other than position on which throw the opponent is using. In comparison I like MK9's throw system better because throws are actually useful for what they're supposed to be useful for.
No, in AE, frame traps have gotten so dangerous it's oftentimes not worth the tech attempt. But at the same time, taking the throw leads to wakeup offense. Which, while not super amazing, is still solid. It's weird...it's worth taking the throw, but it isn't at the same time. Someone like Cammy, Adon or Ken has a throw you really want to tech, because of how ambiguous they can be on crossups.

They do what they are supposed to do, though...make the opponent press buttons to avoid such scenarios.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It's not just Kitana. 12% is nothing to scoff at. I'm not sure why 12% chip is now magically guarunteed. 12% unblockable...you couldn't ask for a better round closer.
Because when there are characters who can safely remove half that in chip damage while building meter, or hit you for a shit ton of damage for you trying to poke out, there's more things to worry about using on your opponent than throwing.

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
What exactly are we trying to say here, I didn't even know until now that people had this much of a problem with throws

Point to throw suiting defensive play more. Too many cases where throwing just creates space.
Well throws aren't as dangerous compared to other games like AE. As it was mentioned earlier, Kitana has the best throw in terms of offernsive pressure. Although, KL's throw is on par IMO.

It's true that most throws create space, but that works out for some characters.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
yes, I just hate how I have to hit 1+3: half the time i get cage doing a punch and a kick.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind...

Phosferrax Scorpion's throw is only good against character he wants out of his face like Cage.
I always thought that way against Kabal personally. At the range Scorpion's throw sends Cage you don't really condition or bait anything with him. With Cage it's more like "lol why are you pressing buttons sir?"

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Being able to break throws while blocking would be stupid. Throws are already just 'ok' for most characters, no need to tone them down. They aren't over-powering at all.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
  • Someone like Cage however, doesn't really benefit from a throw unless it's in the corner. Whilst this does bring depth and variation to the game, maybe tweaking the positioning based on the character's playstyle would be good.
I think just because all the character's throws don't necessarily benefit their play style, doesn't mean they weren't designed that way for a reason. Cage's throw doesn't give him the positioning he needs because his close range game is already ridiculous enough as it is. He basically gets a free throw whenever he wants because of how dumb F3 is and his frame traps, we have to block so much. So if that throw game him a whole new close F3 setup, that would be too much.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I think just because all the character's throws don't necessarily benefit their play style, doesn't mean they weren't designed that way for a reason. Cage's throw doesn't give him the positioning he needs because his close range game is already ridiculous enough as it is. He basically gets a free throw whenever he wants because of how dumb F3 is and his frame traps, we have to block so much. So if that throw game him a whole new close F3 setup, that would be too much.
Yeah I thought about that. Whilst I agree that if Cage's throw was like Kitana's forward throw it would be silly, that doesn't change that throwing is the last thing in a Cage player's mind during offense. I just don't think the game caters to throws because of how strong block strings are. Perhaps it wouldn't be a case of tweaking throws, but tweaking block strings, however that brings a fundamental change in the game's playstyle.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Throws would be horrible if you could tech them while blocking. Why would i EVER not spam 12121212121211211212 while holding block if I could do that? Throws have to be the way they are. The startup of them is fine where it's at. The tech window could be a HAIR bigger, and I mean only a frame or two, but even that might be too much. Throws in this game just so happen to be good as fuck, deal with it.
peeps who are crying about throws are the ones who can't deal with it, and are asking for a slower startup frame

The throws are pretty much pointless when you can auto-crouch-tech most of the time. I didn't say they were completely pointless, just not as useful as they should be. The threat of a throw is more dangerous than the throw itself. Unless you're speaking online play, which throws are gdlk online, lol. The point is throws in SF4 aren't really about what they're supposed to be about because it's so easy to tech. Where as in MK9 it's really hard to tech a throw because there's different buttons for the forward and backwards throw tech and no indication other than position on which throw the opponent is using. In comparison I like MK9's throw system better because throws are actually useful for what they're supposed to be useful for.
you say in ssf4 throws are too easy to tech? if you tech can get frametraped 4 example, there is a lot of setups and options.
and MK9 throws tech are simply garbage because its all about random, you cant predict/react to a forward or backthrow, correct me if im wrong
btw LOL @ blockable command grabs

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
12% unblockable is good when it grants you a set-up sure, but on the other hand you do chip and build meter from block strings which I prefer. I think Kitana has the best set-up from her throw, if she can zone the character she can back throw and vice-verse. No one has that good a set-up from their throw.

Roko1985 what about f3?
Doesn't reach. The B3 is at max distance and is safe. Most players will not wake up cause of the long distance and they have to block it.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
12% unblockable is good when it grants you a set-up sure, but on the other hand you do chip and build meter from block strings which I prefer. I think Kitana has the best set-up from her throw, if she can zone the character she can back throw and vice-verse. No one has that good a set-up from their throw.

Roko1985 what about f3?
They can jump the F3 , but not the B3.