What's new

Do you like the 'throw' mechanic in MK9?

Do you like the throw system in MK9?

• Total voters

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can't just DTR away from Kitana. The same dash up 2,1 that picks up an opponent laying there will also force a DTRing opponent to block or they get blown up. If you're going to DTR then block she can get a jump in or throw again. I bet other characters have similar answers.

Throws are also great for the first hit bonus and let's be serious here, 12% is a good chunk of damage.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
THTB has gotten on to what I was going to say to GGA 16 Bit.

Kitana has possibly the best offense throw game considering her options after it. Kitana is one of the few characters that can use her throw as genuine threat in rush down in mid-screen. Sure Cage can throw you into the corner, but midscreen he has nearly no incentive to throw because he get's meter from his continuous block strings which means he can continue his block strings. Scorpion on the other hand does not have a good throw in my opinion.

Also, what do people think about the (generally) universal damage of 12%? I'm wondering whether I would agree with characters getting more favourable set-ups from a throw for less damage that a throw that grants no advantage afterwards.
Cage's forward throw is not that bad. You can dash B3. Cage has very good dash so that distance is not that long.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
You can't just DTR away from Kitana. The same dash up 2,1 that picks up an opponent laying there will also force a DTRing opponent to block or they get blown up. If you're going to DTR then block she can get a jump in or throw again. I bet other characters have similar answers.

Throws are also great for the first hit bonus and let's be serious here, 12% is a good chunk of damage.
12% unblockable is good when it grants you a set-up sure, but on the other hand you do chip and build meter from block strings which I prefer. I think Kitana has the best set-up from her throw, if she can zone the character she can back throw and vice-verse. No one has that good a set-up from their throw.

Roko1985 what about f3?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I hate the throw system. For some reason is way easier for me to tech throws on other fighting games like SF.
In MK you have to literally know somebody is going to throw before they throw, and you have to mash 1. It's really not possible to tech throw on reaction. Also I think there is too much reward for throws, if you throw somebody you get 12% and if they tech it nothing happens. I think maybe if somebody techs your throw you should take like 4% or something, there would be a little risk since throwing is so easy in this game. Idk

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No, with Cage, you will not hit them in time if you DTR it.

And 16Bit, that's why it's being said Kitana's throw game is actually strong. Basically, that range post-throw is optimal because of what she can do afterwards, and the fact that she can blow you up so hard for avoiding the throw. There are VERY few characters with a throw that is as optimal in positioning.

King, the guess is very much weakened by knowing which direction they'll likely throw you, which is usually towards the corner, because positioning in this game actually means a lot. Corners in MK just leads to way too much fuckery. Teching in SFIV, for example, needs to be easy because of how powerful the post-throw setups are. The ample time on the ground allows for some very ambiguous crossups and safejump OSs that essentially require a DP to deal with.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Perhaps other characters have options that haven't been explored cause everyone thinks grabs are bad.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Considering the poll is majority 'yes' not everyone thinks throws are bad. Many characters just don't have great set-ups and just because Kitana has a great set-up doesn't mean throws are universally great.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
i dont like cyrax's throws as it puts them fullscreen, but then he has the command grab so all's good.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The throws aren't terrible. It's definitely a lot different from throws and techs in SF4. In SF4 you can tick throw, kara throw, and basically auto-tech throws. I just wish there was some skill involved in teching throws in MK9. It's basically just an educated guess based on position. Either that or just mashing. But I do prefer it to auto-crouch-techs in SF4, rendering throws kinda pointless.

THTB

Throws in SFIV are nowhere near pointless. Alongside the setups involved, you can be CHed into oblivion. Yes, the post-throw options don't set up guaranteed damage, but the situations aren't simply block and get out, or focus dash out.

Being able to tech while blocking would be dumb in MK since there are only two throw types. It makes sense in a game like VF5 where everyone has a ton of throws, but it would make throws entirely pointless when there are only two.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I think maybe if somebody techs your throw you should take like 4% or something, there would be a little risk since throwing is so easy in this game. Idk
well that would be better than the reward you get for teching a throw now, 1% health loss.
your still punished for guessing right :confused:

THTB

Being able to tech while blocking would be dumb in MK since there are only two throw types. It makes sense in a game like VF5 where everyone has a ton of throws, but it would be stupid when there are only two.
Yeah, in VF5 eating a throw not only does a good chunk more damage than MK9, but you can't base your tech on the direction all the time. Some throws STILL leave you in a good position, regardless of the break direction.

Yeah, in VF5 eating a throw not only does a good chunk more damage than MK9, but you can't base your tech on the direction all the time. Some throws STILL leave you in a good position, regardless of the break direction.
Exactly, there's every little in the way of mind games involved with throws in MK, and teching while blocking would render them obsolete. It's not like fighting Wolf and eating a Burning Hammer because you guessed wrong.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's not just Kitana. 12% is nothing to scoff at. I'm not sure why 12% chip is now magically guarunteed. 12% unblockable...you couldn't ask for a better round closer.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
It's not just Kitana. 12% is nothing to scoff at. I'm not sure why 12% chip is now magically guarunteed. 12% unblockable...you couldn't ask for a better round closer.
12% chip damage magically came about because you just conjured it out of nowhere.

I would prefer to get 6% and meter instead of pure damage, except in the case of when the opponent is 15% health or under.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Throws in SFIV are nowhere near pointless. Alongside the setups involved, you can be CHed into oblivion. Yes, the post-throw options don't set up guaranteed damage, but the situations aren't simply block and get out, or focus dash out.
The throws are pretty much pointless when you can auto-crouch-tech most of the time. I didn't say they were completely pointless, just not as useful as they should be. The threat of a throw is more dangerous than the throw itself. Unless you're speaking online play, which throws are gdlk online, lol. The point is throws in SF4 aren't really about what they're supposed to be about because it's so easy to tech. Where as in MK9 it's really hard to tech a throw because there's different buttons for the forward and backwards throw tech and no indication other than position on which throw the opponent is using. In comparison I like MK9's throw system better because throws are actually useful for what they're supposed to be useful for.

D

Deleted member 9158

the only throw I hate in the game is Jax's air throw.

My jimmies are eternally rustled because of it

on teching: i think it would be fine if there were a visual indication of which way you had to tech (like forward throw was always a grab with the left hand, back throw is a grab with the right).

on 10f: the speed is fine

Priority: i think mk should take a note from DoA and use a rock, paper, scissors system. strikes (normals) need to beat throws, throws beat specials (physical specials), and specials beat normals. of course there would have to be exceptions, but generally i would like that framework because how it is now it is too random. throws literally have random priority now and for the same move will hit half of the time and half of the time it wont. i understand this is likely the product of the speed of the move, but i think it would simply make it a better game if this were differentiated predominantly by move type